PDA

View Full Version : Need help with leg work drill

dorianblade
November 9th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Hey guys, Ive been trying for about a week now to do a the drill where you float on your back and use your legs to swim but i can't seem to do it right. Can you give me some technique tips, how to propel the legs or what do i need to do to actually move. it is very frustrating.

Thanks

dorianblade
November 9th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Anyone...?

dorianblade
November 9th, 2006, 10:40 PM
ok well after getting no help here (don't worry, no offence taken) i've decided to go to the pool and attempt the drill until i succeed or my legs fall off.

well... i still have my legs!! after about an hour and a half of endless tries and laps and almost given up, i decided to try once more and halfway through the drill i've noticed i'm actually moving on my own! oh, the excitement! to make sure i wasn't riding ripples from other lanes i decided to go a whole lap length (25 yards) and attempt to use only my legs as i'm floating with the hands behind my back. It took me a little over 3 minutes but i did it. By the third time it only took me a 1:20.

great sucsesss! niiiiiiice!

Muppet
November 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Dorian,

Head: look straight up at the cieling directly above you (assuming you're indoors)

Back: arch your back a little so your lower midsection is protruding from the water

Legs: point your toes, keep your legs straight and kick from your hips.

The straight legs and kick from the hips part is the toughest to get a hold of, but keep practicing!!

dorianblade
November 9th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Thank you, muppet. I've noticed i was doing some sort of scissors kick that worked really well. not sure what i did exactly. another thing Ive noticed is when i tilt my head forward (sinking my bod a bit) i get better propulsion. is that common?

Muppet
November 10th, 2006, 11:20 PM
The increased propultion may be a direct function of the sinking (and therefore the head). What I think is happening is that since your legs are sinking, you're kicking entirely underwater. If your feet are right at the surface, chances are you are kicking air at some point in your kick. By having your legs entirely underwater, you're actually moving a lot more water than if you're kicking air and water, and therefore moving quicker.

However, do not let this fool you into thinking your new head position is correct. It is ok for the feet to be lower, but the rest of you needs to be as close to flat across the surface as possible if you want to go anywhere. Sounds like you may need to work on your back arch a little bit...

dorianblade
November 10th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I am playing around with many positions and getting quite comfortable. I had a GREAT set today. I know the ideal head position is straight and in the water with the water line touching the goggles. seems like my neck is working extra hard in that position thought...

Another thing i was toying with was kicking straight from the hips or bending the knees... both with great success by the way. i do kick in the water, i find it much more useful and efficient. really great drill to just relax on the back and do laps... real zen moment :)

KaizenSwimmer
November 12th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Dorian
Why do you want to kick flat on your back? We don't swim in that position. I can think of two drills that use it - kicking fly or kicking breast - but if you're fluttering you'd be much better off slightly rotated.

Muppet's advice to arch your back to keep lower body near the surface, for instance, is correct in this instance -- it WILL be necessary to do that to stay "balanced" -- but not a correction that would be to your advantage. In good "aquatic posture" you'd like to have less arch in your back than is true in land posture.

Instead of doing a flat-on-your-back flutter drill, I suggest one in which you rotate slightly - just enough to feel air on one shoulder, but not near a position in which your hips or shoulders are "stacked."