PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in your dreams

nkfrench
November 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
What are some of the swimming dreams you've had ?

In one of my dreams, I jumped into the pool feet first and for some reason the water was only 2" deep. For grins I ran across the entire length, did a somersault, and scrambled back on all fours. Got back and asked the coach what was up with the pool, that it would have been really cool if I had done a "real" 50 free in 8 seconds. They were all staring at me because there WASN'T anything funny with the pool - for some reason I was just able to move fast enough to not sink.

I get flying dreams repeatedly. But it takes a great deal of finesse, confidence, and focus to be able to do it. I start with a vertical leap working from 6" up to 15' with hangtime, then I "dive" into a horizontal position and do either breaststroke or butterfly. I can usually get about 400m before I tire. Then - I lose my touch and can't do it any more. But nobody else in the world can do it.

Lastly is the nightmare about getting into a health club pool wearing a brand-new Speedo, thinking the chemicals seem out of kilter, and then when I finish my workout and climb out, I realize that my swim suit has completely turned white and is see-through. Wait - that actually happened.

SwimStud
November 13th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Lastly is the nightmare about getting into a health club pool wearing a brand-new Speedo, thinking the chemicals seem out of kilter, and then when I finish my workout and climb out, I realize that my swim suit has completely turned white and is see-through. Wait - that actually happened.

:applaud:

j/k hehe

swimmerlisa
November 13th, 2006, 02:05 PM
i have swimming dreams all the time! especially during my hiatus.

i usually dream of past work outs or meets. one in particular I went back in time to swim a work out from my club team I swam with...I remembered it perfectly - who was there, our set, my suit. I woke up feeling so sad and nostalgic! I miss my club team!

mattson
November 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM
My swim dreams are usually about winter training trip practices with my old college team. Except it usually has a weird mix of other things thrown in: people I knew from high school and Masters on the team, the pool is the newer Carnegie Mellon pool (which I only swam in twice), and so on. And no fatigue during practice, which has yet to happen in real life. :drink:

The Fortress
November 13th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I have dreamt about sleeping through a meet when I'm supposed to swim relays ... I am NOT a morning person and detest any meet that starts before 10:00 am. I may have to cancel my next meet because of this problem.

I dreamt once that I lost a contact in the middle of a race and literally smashed into the wall.

If I'm having a good dream, this involves swimming fly the way I used to. Now, on that score, I just live my "unfulfilled fantasies through my children" as Geek recommended.

nkfrench
November 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I had another dream where I was swimming mile after mile of effortless, blazing fast butterfly. When I woke up -- the pillow was in one corner of the room, the covers were in a heap on the floor, and the cat was sitting in another corner of the room just glaring at me.

Seagurl51
November 13th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I raced Michael Phelps in a department store pool once. Doesn't everybody swim in department stores?:wiggle:

I have re-accuring dreams about swimming blazingly fast with no effort. *sigh* If only those would come true......

Seagurl51
November 13th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I had another dream where I was swimming mile after mile of effortless, blazing fast butterfly. When I woke up -- the pillow was in one corner of the room, the covers were in a heap on the floor, and the cat was sitting in another corner of the room just glaring at me.

:laugh2: That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

islandsox
November 13th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I have to say that Nancy's dream was a HOOT :D

The only dream I am having now is the 18 mile swim from Roatan to Utila that I am working towards. And stroke by stroke all I see is a blue abyss and then I see "shadows" below me and of course think SHARK!!! And then it is little Nemo who irritates the hell out of me until I hit sand at Utila. He is a bothersome nuisance and attaches himself to my swimming suit like a sucker fish and I can't get rid of him.

If only the swim goes like my dream (whew)!!!

Donna

Got Boost
November 13th, 2006, 08:29 PM
It is strange that you would mention swimming in dreams. I have one reoccuring swimming dream where I check in fo my event, go through all the motions, get on the blocks and when I start I jerk myself awake. Since I was a kid I have had this dream and I have never found out what race I was in. The next was just last night, I dreamt I was swimming a 100 free. It ws so realistic i can still smell the chorine, feel the water etc. It was so vivid I have not stoooed thinkin about it all day.
Got Boost

Allen Stark
November 13th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I have dreams of flying swimming breaststroke,those are great. Before a meet(or sometimes before a presentation or some other performance) I'll dream I get to the meet and I forgot to shave down,or I have 1 min. to warm-up,or the famous noticing I don't have my suit on under my sweats. Those are not great.

SwimStud
November 13th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Odd how there is a few of us "Breaststroke Flying" in our dreams...I guess it's the subconscious going through the technique?? I dunno...I only ever had that dream once as a kid. It was vivid though...

aquaFeisty
November 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Sorry, but the most recent swimming dream I remember wasn't inspiring, just gross.

As I've mentioned in other threads, we live across the street from a converted quarry turned pool. It closes Labor Day and sits full all winter until the Park District completely drains it, scrubs it down, and refills it in late April/May for the Memorial Day weekend reopening. During the winter, it is a haven for geese. I hate geese.

I had a dream last spring where I was in a big wave of swimmers competing in an open water swim or triathlon and suddenly realized that the Park District had forgotten to drain and clean the water. The water was black and there was goose poop and gunk in it. NASTY!!! Then there were all these slow swimmers in the way and I was thrashing and trying to get to the side to get out. I think I nearly took my hubby's head off in bed. He was extremely sympathetic when I explained the dream though.

(Needless to say I very closely watched the cleaning process last April.)

Leonard Jansen
November 14th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I've only ever had one swimming dream, but I've had it a number of times.
It's a dream of how I die: I'm in an open water race, swimming from east-to-west on a cloudless day with a beautiful blue sky. There is a bridge off to my left about 100 yards and I'm swimming along easily. All of a sudden, something takes me down (shark? hit by a boat?) and I am gone.

Now, before, every race, Deb asks me if there is a section with an east-to-west traverse and a bridge there. She says if there is, I can't do the race.

-LBJ

SwimStud
November 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I've only ever had one swimming dream, but I've had it a number of times.
It's a dream of how I die: I'm in an open water race, swimming from east-to-west on a cloudless day with a beautiful blue sky. There is a bridge off to my left about 100 yards and I'm swimming along easily. All of a sudden, something takes me down (shark? hit by a boat?) and I am gone.

Now, before, every race, Deb asks me if there is a section with an east-to-west traverse and a bridge there. She says if there is, I can't do the race.

-LBJ

Maybe it's just a really bad cramp? Perhaps you need to wait a bit longer between meals and swimming in your dereams?? ;)

KaizenSwimmer
November 15th, 2006, 08:09 AM
This question may be more to the point than you suspect. I've recently done research on how we learn and discovered some interesting things, particularly the role of dreaming. I'm working on a book about skills-oriented swimming that I'll publish shortly. Here are some of my preliminary notes on this topic:

>>Knowledge is a by-product of activity. We learn by doing. From the perspective of our brain, learning and doing are just two different verbs that refer to the same mental process.

Scientists studying the motor cortex of monkeys, implanted wires in the brain to learn which neurons were involved in which bodily movements. As a scientist ate an ice cream cone, neurons in the monkey's motor cortex began frantically firing, though the monkey remained still. Same brain cells became active when the monkey made a particular action and when it observed another individual making a similar action. The motor cortex is designed to combine the idea of an action with the action.

When we see a tennis racquet we imagine swinging it. When I watch swimming or think about it, my brain performs similar functions to when I actually swim.

The neurons which translate ideas into actions, cannot process the abstract or theoretical because the brain evolved to help us solve concrete problems rather than to ponder metaphysical problems. A preference for action is an essential part of the human mind.

Sleep and dreaming seem to be an essential part of this process. Dreams unfold in intricate narratives, replaying daily activities in which new knowledge was put to the test. Did our new learning help us solve important problems? If so, we may dream about itand wake up a smarter person. (Personal experience: When taking a 10-minute mid-afternoon nap, I often dream Im swimming. I kick the wall and wake up because I dreamt I was doing a flip turn.)

Rats that solve mazes to earn food during the day have been observed to dream of running through mazes because brain monitoring shows the same activity occurring while they sleep as occurs when they are solving a maze. In dreams, the brain figures out what information it needs to retain. Since successful rats got food, their brains re-encoded the route, making sure they remembered how to find their way. Like rats dreaming of a maze, the mind is designed to remember knowledge that produces desired outcomes. Dreams help figure out what knowledge is essential, and what is just a waste of neuronal space.>>

Clearly this phenomenon is most likely to work in your favor when you approach practice as a problem-solving, task-improving process. If you do each set as a learning experience, rather than swim the same unexamined repeat 20 times, your brain gets the message so to speak and, while dreaming, will encode the solutions found to produce desirable outcomes.

The Fortress
November 15th, 2006, 08:59 AM
This question may be more to the point than you suspect. Rats that solve mazes to earn food during the day have been observed to dream of running through mazes

I will remember that I am a "rat" while mindfully practicing my SDKs.:)