PDA

View Full Version : Day or Night?

swimmerlisa
November 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
If you're swimming in an outdoor pool -

which do you like better daytime or nighttime swims and why?

Even though I can only practice at night, I love swimming during daylight hours. I love being able to see my shadow on the bottom of the pool while swimming. It's a cool view. Plus there's a chance I'll tan. However those glorious back V tanlines are impossible to get rid of. :shakeshead: Thoughts?

proberts
November 13th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I swim outside and like it early a.m.,still dark, then the transition to daylight when the pool lights go off and the sun comes up. I also like swimming in the rain, warm water with cool rain feels good to me.

swimmerlisa
November 13th, 2006, 04:40 PM
both situations you described are nice to swim in. i love it when it's raining. feels so nice on my back and shoulders. not really that fun on backstroke though.

aquaFeisty
November 13th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Even though I can only practice at night, I love swimming during daylight hours. I love being able to see my shadow on the bottom of the pool while swimming. It's a cool view. Plus there's a chance I'll tan. However those glorious back V tanlines are impossible to get rid of. :shakeshead: Thoughts?

Move to Chicago. I can guarantee that by December your back V tanlines will be but a fond, warm, memory...

islandsox
November 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Good question; never thought of this. But, I am a morning person all the way, I can barely stay awake past 8:30 pm, so I choose daytime, but I love the early daytime, just after the sun rises when you can smell the damp grass as you are walking to the pool and then the smell of chlorine and no one is around except "swimmers." And I find I can only train well during the daytime; just don't have much gas left in the tank in the evenings. But that occasional nighttime swim when it is dark and the pool lights are on is a wonderful feeling. Hanging on the wall and looking at the stars is soothing to my body and soul.

Donna

swimmerlisa
November 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM
LOL carrie :cool: you don't get to see the sun much there?

what's the temp there now? it's 75 here :thhbbb:

swimmerlisa
November 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Good question; never thought of this. But, I am a morning person all the way, I can barely stay awake past 8:30 pm, so I choose daytime, but I love the early daytime, just after the sun rises when you can smell the damp grass as you are walking to the pool and then the smell of chlorine and no one is around except "swimmers." And I find I can only train well during the daytime; just don't have much gas left in the tank in the evenings. But that occasional nighttime swim when it is dark and the pool lights are on is a wonderful feeling. Hanging on the wall and looking at the stars is soothing to my body and soul.

Donna

good answer, donna. you are a great writer.

aquaFeisty
November 13th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Swimmerlisa,

It's not even 75F inside my house right now.

I live across the street from the most fantastic outdoor pool you've ever seen. It's a converted limestone quarry. There's a 50 m pool spanning the SHORT width of it. There's a diving/deep water area with floating piers that is almost 100x100yds big. Of course, you can only really train open water in it because by late June you can't see the lines on the bottom any more (a tad murky) but oh well.

It absolutely breaks my heart every Labor Day when it closes until the following Memorial Day. I used to have an excel program that did an auto-countdown of months, weeks, days, hours, and minutes until the pool opened up again. Every now and then I'd give my co-workers an update. Ah, they loved this. :woot:

dorothyrde
November 13th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Carrie, I guess you could break your ice skates out and use it!

poolraat
November 13th, 2006, 05:59 PM
it's 75 here :thhbbb:

You really know how to torture those of us that live in the cooler part of our great country, don't you.

It snowed here last night and its raining now.:mad: The pool was 72 when I worked out during my lunch break.

Warren
November 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I like swiming at night better except for backstroke. Backstroke is so hard to swim at night.

swimmerlisa
November 13th, 2006, 06:07 PM
floyd, i'm a little jealous, actually. i've never seen snow. the coolest it ever gets here is 30, and that's only for a day or two! i'll be lucky if it's 70 for thanksgiving.

Warren, i agree that backstroke is hard at night. it is nice to see the stars, though.

mattson
November 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Depends on the (underwater) lighting.

poolraat
November 13th, 2006, 06:31 PM
floyd, i'm a little jealous, actually. i've never seen snow. the coolest it ever gets here is 30, and that's only for a day or two! i'll be lucky if it's 70 for thanksgiving.

We could trade places for a few months. I know my kids would love to spend a winter in Florida (so would I). When the nightime temps drop below zero (I've seen it at -30) in December and January,you probably won't like it so much.

But back to the thread.... night swimming with only the pool lights is great for a relaxing swim but I don't think I would want to do a hard workout at night.

swimmerlisa
November 14th, 2006, 09:10 AM
negative 30?! how do you survive?! i think i'll visit there in the not so freezing days. and even then i'll probably need a lot of :drink: to stay warm.

poolraat
November 14th, 2006, 09:16 AM
negative 30?! how do you survive?! i think i'll visit there in the not so freezing days. and even then i'll probably need a lot of :drink: to stay warm.
Winters here aren't a lot of fun unless you like snowmobiling, skiing, etc. But the summer and fall makes up for it.

SwimStud
November 14th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I only swim indoors...until the outdoor pool is built...but then I think indoor will be a more enjoyable swim for training. Outside pool will probably become the local hang out.
I like floating in my friends pool when it's raining and thundering in the summer...

Lisa there is an obvious solution to the tan lines... :eek:

...that's right, buy a suit that let you tan through :D
What? What? What did you think I meant? Tsk-tsk!

swimmerlisa
November 14th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Lisa there is an obvious solution to the tan lines... :eek:
...that's right, buy a suit that let you tan through :D
What? What? What did you think I meant? Tsk-tsk!

I'm pretty certain if I tried what you're implying, :D the YMCA would ask me to leave and not return! :laugh2:

nkace
November 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I would say that day time is a pain cause the sun ends up in your line of vision when swimming freestyle. :thhbbb:

scyfreestyler
November 15th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Since I started swimming in an outdoor pool I have really grown to like swimming at night. Just the other night it was quite cold and raining which I found most enjoyable. Getting in and out is not nearly as nice as a warm summer day but the time in the pool is great I think.