PDA

View Full Version : Time conversions

Mswimming
November 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I just did a quick search on this site regarding conversion of times. Specifically LCM to SCY. It sounds like these conversions can be very inaccurate.

So I am curious now. For a 50 free time, which is the most inaccurate, LCM to SCY or SCY to LCM?

Or a better way to ask it. Which time would be harder to swim in your experience, your converted SCY time from your best LCM time? Or your converted LCM time from your best SCY time?

This based on the conversion page here.

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/conversions.asp

Kevin

Warren
November 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM
yard times tend to be easier to get your conversion time. But it also depends how good your turn is becasue in lcm you dont turn in a 50.

dorothyrde
November 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM
From watching years of kids swimming, and the conversion of times, it looks like going LCM toSCY conversion is easier to get. Going SCY to LCM, the conversion does not do a good job of factoring a little more of the fatigue factor of the longer distance, IMHO.

swimr4life
November 18th, 2006, 04:40 PM
From watching years of kids swimming, and the conversion of times, it looks like going LCM toSCY conversion is easier to get. Going SCY to LCM, the conversion does not do a good job of factoring a little more of the fatigue factor of the longer distance, IMHO.

I agree! It also depends on the individual..... sprinters tend to do better in short course and distance swimmers tend to do better in long course. I'm a sprinter so my short course times converted were always faster than what I could actually do in long course! I love turns!:banana:

Mswimming
November 18th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. So far my fastest 50 as a masters swimmer has been long course. So that will really help in setting a good goal time for the SCY season.

I have yet to swim a SCY meet as a masters swimmer so I don't have any first hand knowledge of how well I do from Long Course to Short Course.

Kevin

dorothyrde
November 18th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Kevin, I think that really depends how good your turns are. If you have really good turns, you should probably go faster SCY than the conversion, but if LCM is a benefit because your turns are bad, maybe not. I think the conversions gives a second for each turn.

Allen Stark
November 18th, 2006, 08:13 PM
The time conversions are becoming less and less reliable. As was noted on another thread LCM and SCY are basically totally different.If you are going a relatively long way underwater dolphin on back or fly then you are taking many fewer strokes SCY than LCM. Similarly with the breaststroke pullout especially with the added dolphin kick.Tall swimmers have more of an advantage SCY than LCM. The conversion tables give a rough approximation,but to know for yourself you need to swim both.