PDA

View Full Version : What is your most embarassing swimming moment?

swimmerlisa
November 14th, 2006, 09:07 AM
We've all had them, your suit rips during a start, you accidentally sneeze on Michael Phelps, you burp or fart on the starting blocks, etc. (none of those happened to me...knock on wood).

What's your most embarassing swimming moment? (includes, meets, practice, anything swimming related)

islandsox
November 14th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Oh, boy, do I have a story!!

The first year I moved here to Roatan in the Caribbean, I started swimming at an inlet called Half Moon Bay. It is 1/2 mile all the way around it. In it, are various little reefs. Well, I was doing backstroke and thought I was in the clear, but I swam across the tip of a reef ripping my suit entirely off from the waist down.

Now my scooter and stuff was on the road which meant I had to exit the water with the top half of my suit only. To make it worse, it was Cruise Ship Day and there were people everywhere walking on the road. I stayed in the water and was trying to time my quick exit to my scooter inbetween groups of people. The longer I waited, more people were on the street.

I finally knew I was out of luck on this one, so I stood up, half-naked and walked proudly to my scooter while people were pointing and laughing. What I was thinking as I was walking proudly was that I'll probably never see them again anyway, so be it.

Donna

SwimStud
November 14th, 2006, 10:21 AM

The first year I moved here to Roatan in the Caribbean, I started swimming at an inlet called Half Moon Bay. It is 1/2 mile all the way around it. In it, are various little reefs. Well, I was doing backstroke and thought I was in the clear, but I swam across the tip of a reef ripping my suit entirely off from the waist down.

Now my scooter and stuff was on the road which meant I had to exit the water with the top half of my suit only. To make it worse, it was Cruise Ship Day and there were people everywhere walking on the road. I stayed in the water and was trying to time my quick exit to my scooter inbetween groups of people. The longer I waited, more people were on the street.

I finally knew I was out of luck on this one, so I stood up, half-naked and walked proudly to my scooter while people were pointing and laughing. What I was thinking as I was walking proudly was that I'll probably never see them again anyway, so be it.

Donna

did u wear the torn piece or remove it? Removing it probably would look less humourous...just my $.02.
I think i've lost my shorts on a "dive-in" several times in my more youthful days...nothing of late that I can remember. No doubt I have just jinxed myself and will suffer some horrendous misfortune at my next workout. LOL

The Fortress
November 14th, 2006, 10:21 AM
walked proudly to my scooter while people were pointing and laughing. What I was thinking as I was walking proudly was that I'll probably never see them again anyway, so be it.

You are one cool chick, Donna.

On a similar note, one day, I was at the gym swimming and someone stole my clothes and running shoes. :mad: I walked out of the gym barefoot wrapped in two white towels. Unfortunately, I gotta see those gym folks again.

swimmerlisa
November 14th, 2006, 10:22 AM
donna that's utterly awful! i bet you learned your lesson and that never happened again though!

swimmerlisa
November 14th, 2006, 10:24 AM
leslie - people are ridiculous. you gotta lock your stuff in the lockers. you must have had some nice shoes and clothes!

SwimStud
November 14th, 2006, 10:31 AM
On a similar note, one day, I was at the gym swimming and someone stole my clothes and running shoes. :mad: I walked out of the gym barefoot wrapped in two white towels. Unfortunately, I gotta see those gym folks again.

My Grandfather used to swim across the River Thames in London as a kid. Their friends would meet them on the far bankc with a towel and clothes. One day they set out and their friends decided not to take their clothes over to the other side for them... they had a nice walk back through the Blackwall Tunnel wearing a sheet of newspaper each. lol.

The Fortress
November 14th, 2006, 10:37 AM
leslie - people are ridiculous. you gotta lock your stuff in the lockers. you must have had some nice shoes and clothes!

Swimmerlisa:

My clothes were sitting near my backpack on a pool chair close to where I was swimming. Very nervy! I was really sad about my Mizunos.....

swimmerlisa
November 14th, 2006, 10:42 AM
very nervy indeed. even if they timed it right so you weren't facing them, I can't believe no one else saw them.

aquaFeisty
November 14th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Donna

I see this as a sign from above that one should avoid backstroke at all costs...

:laugh2:

The Fortress
November 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Goggle trouble:

During my second masters swim meet last March, I had the worst goggle trouble. I dove in for my first event, the 100 IM, and my googles went down to my neck. I thought, well I have to keep swimming or I will be exposed as a real whimp. Then, I realized that I had my contacts in and couldn't drive home without them. So I meekly climbed out. Thank goodness I was in lane 1. The referee laughed as he handed me my DQ slip.

Then, I swam a 50 free with my goggles completely filled with water and almost missed the wall on my flip turn. Then I swam a 50 breast (this was stupid in and of itself) where my goggles were again water filled and on my nose at the finish.

I got out and attempted to tighten my goggles. I took them apart and then couldn't re-thread them because I am now getting old and far-sighted. So I couldn't see to fix them. I was about to scratch my last event and go home when my daughter arrived to watch. She fixed my goggles for me. Then, she roundly scolded me for not having extra contacts and extra goggles at a meet. (I didn't tell her about the 100 IM.)

Then I swam a nice 50 back where I had no goggle problems and did a PB.

I have now (after many pairs) found goggles that I like. I put them under my cap at all times. And I still like backstroke best.

swimmerlisa
November 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM
one of my worst moments was a painful one. our club team moved practice to another pool because ours was getting drained and painted. Halfway through the practice we started doing some IM work. The pool was longcourse so I didn't notice how long it really felt (that I had swum past where the flags should be) until I smacked my head on the wall. Apparently the lifeguards took the flags down during practice and neglected to tell us. Otherwise I would have watched the lanelines. Anyway, it hurt so bad. My coach and everyone else on the team who had been on wall heard it.

My first meet, when I was eight (i think), I swam the 50 back in the novice championships. no one had told me about counting strokes or anything. i barely knew how to flip, i just knew i should turn over before the wall. at the turn, i flipped literally on the wall. my butt actually hit it. somehow I still managed to win the race. that was embarassing.

Another awkward moment. When I was in high school, my club coach really emphasized dryline training. one day, he decided to film me and my good friend doing squats, insisting that we did them wrong. that was embarassing enough, but it gets worse. instead of doing this while we were away from the team, he made us do it in front of everyone, while he circled us filming. Then we had to sit in his office watching the tape while he tried to show us what he thought was a good squat. (which was nothing i've ever seen anyone do). he was a weird weird man.

proberts
November 14th, 2006, 03:21 PM
This one is more personally humiliating rather than public.I had been swimming next to this guy for a few years and he was always quite a bit faster than me.I had been working hard on my free and I was getting a little faster. So one day I am swimming next to him and staying right with him for about a mile, I was feeling REALLY good about myself. We finish our workouts about the same time and he gets out..... and is wearing a drag suit.

islandsox
November 14th, 2006, 07:58 PM
This thread is a hoot! I'll even bet there are more stories than not about embarassing moments. Maybe we are just a brave "crowd" willing to share our misfortunes!!

By the way, I was totally naked from the boobs down, my suit was totally ripped off my body. And I am not a pretty sight nude; I am a large woman which makes it all the more appalling. So be it.....

Isn't it kind of fun to be able to laugh about it NOW?

Donna:groovy:

swimr4life
November 14th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Mine happened today! My shoulder was really bothering me so I swam with fins today. We were doing a 200 IM set. I did free on the fly to save my shoulder. 2 lanes over is a guy in his mid 20's. He has NO fins! He was taking me to school today on the first 50....note:I was doing free WITH FINS and he was doing fly WITHOUT FINS!!! AHHH! He proceeded to kick my butt on the last 200 IM Note: I had FINS and he DID NOT!! AHHH! I felt bad until I asked him what his best 200 fly time in college was. He said a 1:50.... I felt a little better....:p

The Fortress
November 14th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Beth:

This happens to me sometimes. Except the guy beating me is 51. Now I'm still doing the fly leg, but WITH FINS as you say. He is very studly, though, (just went a 57 in the 100 fly) so I try not to be embarassed when it happens. He usually makes me go first on fly and back if I have fins, but I make him go first on all things freestyle and all things with PADDLES. BIG PADDLES beat FINS.

Muppet
November 14th, 2006, 11:40 PM
fart on the starting blocks

Not on, but beforehand. There were all these lovely ladies timing this meet, and I needed to let one rip. Well to spare them the deafening sound as I dove off, I decided to go the SBD route as i was stepping up. Needless to say I was the first one off the blocks.

Not really embarassing since i did it on purpose, but funny nonetheless...

Shadowvcd
November 15th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Goggle trouble:

During my second masters swim meet last March, I had the worst goggle trouble.

I don't practice starts and have never been comfortable diving in with goggles. So most of the time I don't wear goggles in meets.

Then I swam a nice 50 back where I had no goggle problems and did a PB.
On backstroke, I often don't use goggles even during workouts. My awareness of my swimming surrounding is just so much greater without goggles in the backstroke.

Now on to my embarassing moment. I must have been 9 or 10 yrs old, and was in a 50 breastroke race. Got up on the block, and started like a bat out of hell. Only problem was I was swimming freestyle. So halfway thru I realize what I was doing and switched to breastroke and finished the race. Afterwards, my dads comment was that I realized I goofed up, only because I was winning the race at the time.

Jeff Commings
November 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM
I hit my head on the wall after the third 50 of a 200 LCM backstroke in a fairly large in-season meet in 1996.

It was in Fort Lauderdale, and I was swimming the 200 back because there was nothing else I'd feel comfortable doing that day. I was swimming in a heat with Lenny Krayzelburg, and I just wanted to not get beaten by more than a 25.

I was doing well after the first 100. But the sun was really bright and I couldn't avoid looking right at it. So I swam for a few strokes with my eyes closed. I didn't know the wall would be so close. I hit it really hard. But I recovered quickly and finished the race. I qualified 16th for the evening finals.

When I got out of the pool, everyone kept asking me if I was OK. I told them I was fine, that the touchpad softened the blow somewhat.

That night, without the sun in my face, I won the consolation heat from the outside lane. One of my proudest swimming moments.

swimmerlisa
November 15th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Jeff, that ft. laudy pool gets so bright during the day. I've had similiar experiences. That is one thing I like about the YMCA Aquatic Center in Orlando, at least it's ceiling/windows close before the backstroke events. Gotta love the retractable ceiling. The bright sun bearing down on an outdoor pool is blinding!

donna - i am glad to not have your misfortune, i really think i would have stayed in the water until dark!

Hoosier
November 15th, 2006, 11:59 AM
So that was you! lol

bbpolhill
November 15th, 2006, 02:24 PM
In my first meet ever (last year at 42) right after my start in the 50 Free, my goggles flipped and sat backwards on top of my eyeballs. Since I didn't have any experience to tell me what to do, I just swam as hard as I could making out only faint lines at the bottom of the pool waiting for the "T" at the end to make my flip. Well, the "T" never came or at least I never saw it and I smashed my hand right into the wall at the first turn. I figured I broke all my fingers.

Well, I didn't want to be embarassed more than I already was by getting out of the pool, so I turned around and swam as hard as I could back ignoring the fact that I couldn't see. I charged to the finish and this time I didn't smash my fingers, but actually touched the pad with my head while my arm swung over the top and smacked on top of the gutter. I mean, I've seen some novice swimmers touch with their head in the backstroke, but the freestyle?

Man I felt humiliated, but the only thing I ever heard when I got out was "great swim" so I was hooked not only on swimming but the swimming community as well.

aquaFeisty
November 15th, 2006, 02:37 PM
My most embarrassing moment (and this does not even rate close to Donna's - I think I would have stayed in the water till it was dark, too) was when I was 13, during my whopping 2 year age-group swimming career.

It was 50 free, long course. They called us up on the blocks and we stood and stood there. There was some problem with the timing system and eventually they called us down from the blocks. So I started chatting and goofing around with whoever was behind the blocks, paying no attention, when suddenly the starter 'beep' sounded. I whipped my goggles off my head, jumped up on the block, hit it with one foot, and belly flopped into the pool... terrified that I'd missed my start. I surfaced ready to race and everyone was laughing. Yes, it was just a test beep. Even the officials were giving me a hard time, saying that they might have to count that as a false start. Totally humiliating for a 13 year old.

aquaFeisty
November 15th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Brad, you are seriously tough. I will remember your 50 next time I start to whine about jamming a finger on a finish. :)

bbpolhill
November 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Brad, you are seriously tough. I will remember your 50 next time I start to whine about jamming a finger on a finish. :)

I was way too distracted by the not being able to see, swimming in my first meet, and the embarassment to feel any pain (until after the race).

bbpolhill
November 15th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I whipped my goggles off my head, jumped up on the block, hit it with one foot, and belly flopped into the pool... terrified that I'd missed my start. I surfaced ready to race and everyone was laughing. Yes, it was just a test beep. Even the officials were giving me a hard time, saying that they might have to count that as a false start. Totally humiliating for a 13 year old.

I am sure that was not easy to get over at 13, but I must say now it makes for a pretty funny story.

Allen Stark
November 15th, 2006, 05:29 PM
My first meet in college,swimming the 200 Br. There was a false start but they fired the recall pistol while I was underwater and I didn't hear it. I came up and got the false start rope hitting me right in the neck. I was so nervous I didn't realize what it was and kept swimming thinking "coach is never going to believe this,someone left a rope in the pool and now I'm going to have to swim with a rope around my neck." After 4-5 strokes not getting anywhere I figured out what happened. The upper-classmen didn't let me forget my ignorance for awhile.

swimmerlisa
November 15th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I just thought of another very embarassing but also tramautizing moment.

In high school, was swimming at practice at night and at the end of practice we had to retract the lanelines and pull the tarp over the pool since it was winter and no one else was using it except us at night.

I had just finished warm down and was hanging out on the wall. Suddenly, practical jokers of friends thought it would be funny to pull the tarp over me while I'm hanging on the wall. And immediately the tarp was over my head and half way down the 25 meter pool.

It went completely black and I freaked out. The pool was deep and I couldn't push up to get enough pressure to get the tarp up for air. I really thought for a split second that I was going to drown. Then all my senses came back to me and I remember I could swim.

I fiercely started swimming underwater and got to the wall, breathless and letting out ever expletive I could think of. Everyone stopped laughing and the whole deck got really quiet. I then realized that there were tons of parents hanging out to pick their kids up.

Horrifying. I was so embarassed, but oh my god I was so scared! :shakeshead:

islandsox
November 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Oh, I just remembered one more!!! It was at Stanford Univ in California. I was NEVER a butterfly person, I avoided it at all costs because I was a backstroker only. Well, we entered the 400 medley relay and I was supposed to do the backstroke as usual. Well, we had to switch people around because our flyer left early, etc., etc. No one could swim the fly so I got changed to swim the 100 fly. I kept telling them I couldn't do it, I had never swam anything past a terrible 50 fly. The other relay members were saying their fly was awful to look at; I was saying I couldn't swim it.

Guess what? I had to do the fly. At 60 yards I quit swimming, I got out of the pool at 75 yards, I absolutely quit. I knew I couldn't finish it. And the best thing about this is: many people actually congratulated me on knowing my limitations. My teammates said: why didn't you tell us? I HAD told them. Idiots!!!

Donna

SearayPaul
November 15th, 2006, 11:18 PM
As a senior in 1974 at the Hall of Fame pool in Ft Lauderdale I also met my downfall. We had qualifyed for the night finals in the High School championships in the 200 medly relay. We were not supposed to make the cut so we were all excited to be there for finals. I had the backstroke leg of the Medly relay and off I went at the sound of the gun. At the turn I forgot or did not see the gutters and took one giant stroke and swam over the low gutter and right up on the concrete deck. Upon discovering my error I slide back in the water and finished the race. That ended our chances on the spot. The bruises and cuts did not hurt but my ego took a huge pounding that day.

Have a great day

Paul

m2tall2
November 17th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I have a group humiliation swimming moment.

In high school, our team had just gotten our new team suits in. I must have been a freshman or sophmore since neither of my sisters were on the team at the time. The suits came in so late, they were handed out just in time for walking through the door at the first meet. Now, they were a pale tie dye color, and I wasn't too fond of them dry but looked fine. However, when we got in the pool, they turned out to be completely transparent. You could see everything quite clearly. All of our parents and friends were there and horrified. Girls fathers were there. The worst part was due to our high school rules, we couldn't go back to the locker rooms and change suits because we had to be wearing a team uniform or else be DQ'd. The talk of the whole meet was the humiliation to be had by those who had to swim backstroke - especially in the lane next to the spectators. We had many more spectators than usual, as word spread, it seemed everyone from other teams and activities around after school showed up to gawk at our peep show.

The suits were returned for full refunds and our captains were much more careful with the next suit selection.

swimmerlisa
November 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM
michelle that is awful!

globuggie
November 18th, 2006, 02:03 PM
A couple of the guys on my team way back lost some sort of bet or dare or something and had to wear girls' suits for a relay. They were utterly humiliated!

SwimStud
November 20th, 2006, 01:21 PM
...ah c'mon who hasn't done that...

LOL

SwimStud
January 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM
OK new one not totally embarrasing but you guys might get a laugh.

I was practicing dives and 25Y sprints last night. I guess I lost concentration on one dive, and looked forward instead of tucking my head. There was a big splash and a sting. I got to the shower room a few minutes later to wash up and had a big red "slap" mark on my brow...

...hopefully the guard didn't notice.
:rofl:

rtodd
January 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Touching the wall in my first ever 200 and still having two lengths to go....please tell me I am not the first to do this. I went out too fast and was so tired I figured I had to be done.

Glenn
January 14th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Rtodd's 200 reminded me of a situation that occured in December at the SCM zone championships in Long Beach (where Michael Phelps et. al. are swimming this weekend).

I was swimming on an 800 free relay, the last event of a three day meet. Our team was way behind. I dove in to swim the anchor leg and at what turned out to be the 150 mark I wasn't sure what lap I was on. At about the flags I lifted my head to see if the timers were near the edge of the pool. They were not, so I swam another 50.:snore:

FindingMyInnerFish
January 14th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I have a group humiliation swimming moment.

In high school, our team had just gotten our new team suits in. I must have been a freshman or sophmore since neither of my sisters were on the team at the time. The suits came in so late, they were handed out just in time for walking through the door at the first meet. Now, they were a pale tie dye color, and I wasn't too fond of them dry but looked fine. However, when we got in the pool, they turned out to be completely transparent. You could see everything quite clearly. All of our parents and friends were there and horrified. Girls fathers were there. The worst part was due to our high school rules, we couldn't go back to the locker rooms and change suits because we had to be wearing a team uniform or else be DQ'd. The talk of the whole meet was the humiliation to be had by those who had to swim backstroke - especially in the lane next to the spectators. We had many more spectators than usual, as word spread, it seemed everyone from other teams and activities around after school showed up to gawk at our peep show.

The suits were returned for full refunds and our captains were much more careful with the next suit selection.

:eek: That would bite!

I guess one solution might be to put another suit underneath the team suit, so you could satisfy the officials and your modesty, but under stress who thinks of things like that?

Similar experience for me: One day a lady stopped me in the locker room after a swim, and told me that my suit was totally transparent and she could see everything--something I didn't know until after my swim was over. Maybe just as well... Bought a new suit shortly afterward.

SwimStud
January 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
:eek: That would bite!

I guess one solution might be to put another suit underneath the team suit, so you could satisfy the officials and your modesty, but under stress who thinks of things like that?

Similar experience for me: One day a lady stopped me in the locker room after a swim, and told me that my suit was totally transparent and she could see everything--something I didn't know until after my swim was over. Maybe just as well... Bought a new suit shortly afterward.

Why am I never around to spot these things! The best I got was "T-back bikin girl" and she ruined it by running into the locker room and coming out with a "towel skirt."

*pout*

FindingMyInnerFish
January 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Why am I never around to spot these things! The best I got was "T-back bikin girl" and she ruined it by running into the locker room and coming out with a "towel skirt."

*pout*

Ah but how do you think "Posh" would feel if you got your wish? :shakeshead:

SwimStud
January 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Posh-spice..I've seen more meat on a Stringbean!

I'll head for the dangerous curves over the straightaway everytime!

:joker:

swim4me
January 14th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I'll head for the dangerous curves over the straightaway everytime!

:joker:

Yeah Rich:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

SwimStud
January 14th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah Rich:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Hehehe Check out Elle McPherson in "Sirens" she was 30lbs over her modelling weight in that film...and was voluptous as all heck...

"I gave it 2 thumbs up!" LOL

Superfly
January 15th, 2007, 05:20 AM
My most embarrasing moment (category: team):
Age 14. The club had been saving money to go to the Canary Islands for a combined training camp/team building/social activities trip.
First day at the pool. Several teams from other countries were there. It was really hot. Not a cloud in sight. ...then our (male) coach put on some sort of mini-G-string-thingie to get a nice tan all over his body!!! We were totally disgusted and we were mocked by the other swimmers where ever we went for the rest of the week....and yes he put those things back on for every practice we did (2 times a day)...yuck...

My most embarrasing moment (category: personal):
Age 15. Standing on the starting blocks ready to jump in for the warm up on a district meet event. Swim pants not the newest in my trunk, but not really the oldest either...they broke all across over my a** and I showed my little naked tush (and other parts as well) to the spectators standing behind me....very embarrasing indeed....especially in that age.

:)

/Per

jlh
January 15th, 2007, 09:05 AM
My most embarassing moment came when I was working the false start rope in high school. We use to have to hold it for meets and then walk it down to the end of the pool. well I wasn't paying attention and my left leg went into the corner of the pool and the right one stayed on the deck. Needless to say my voice was a littel higher for the rest of the meet.

ljodpundari
January 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Two "first meet" experiences:

My first ever swim meet was 3 years ago when I was 58. We swam the 800m the night before the other events, and that was my first competitive swim. Everything went fine until I got half-way through the last lap and saw a big red square where the lap numbers had been. The lap counter was yelling something to me, so I stopped and stuck my head up to see what was wrong. Fortunately it was at the end of the pool so I didn't DQ. (At least I wasn't the one who knocked down the backstroke flag rope the next day.)

My first indoor meet was in a new 25m pool with real starting blocks rather than the backwards-facing wooden ones at our outdoor pool. Sure enough, I fell off when waiting for the start on my first event.

As a result of starting out like this I can now do dumb things like enter the 100 fly without even thinking twice.

Timed Finals
January 15th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Dual meet versus Tennessee my freshman year at Texas. I was supposed to be this hot shot recruit... then I went 10:03 in the 1000 free and 4:57 in the 500. That was quite a wake up call, not to mention the fact that I was the laughing stock for a while.

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Let's just say I've come a long way ... I joined the swim team my freshman year in high school because I wanted to do something, I'm a "joiner". My mom said, "but you can't swim." Not only could I not swim I had a terrible fear of water. My first meet I think I swam on a relay and the 50 free. After the diving break was my dreaded 100 free. I had never swum a continuous 100 free in practice and I was terrified. I was in an outside lane and was fine until I hit the 75 mark I had psyched myself out so badly that I ended up half doggie paddling the last 25.

I was embarrassed, my mom was furious (I was more than capable of swimming a 100 yards). It was the first and only time in my life I have been known as a crier. I was a total whimp. Flash forward a year and I was the anchor on our b relay teams in both the 200 free and 200 medley. I went in 5th or 6th place in both and won them - giving my team two relay teams on the podium. So I redeemed myself, but thankfully I had the most WONDERFUL coach freshman year because I would have quit for sure otherwise ...

SwimStud
January 15th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I backfrogged into the wall today, if it makes anyone feel better.

okoban
January 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Yesterday I saw a chart on the wall in my swimming club.:woot:
I am not fast enough to enter the 12 year-old boys' team in my swimming club (I am 38). I shall improve my best 50 for 3 seconds. Is it enough for you guys:( :( :( :( :(
I better:drink:

Muppet
January 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Dual meet versus Tennessee my freshman year at Texas. I was supposed to be this hot shot recruit... then I went 10:03 in the 1000 free and 4:57 in the 500. That was quite a wake up call, not to mention the fact that I was the laughing stock for a while.

Embarassing?? Perfectly respectable masters times! :applaud: :notworthy:

Julie Roddin
January 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I was standing behind the blocks about 2 heats before my 100 back finals at conferences my freshman year of college and a girl taps me on the shoulder to tell me that my suit had ripped....right down the seam in the back. Darn paper suits!

I rushed into the locker room, which fortunately was right behind the starting block area and a girl on my team was in there showering. I was almost in tears not knowing what to do since my practice suit was in my bag on the other side of the pool. I kinda thought I'd just sit in the locker room and miss my event.

Mary told me to put on her speed suit. Ok, I was thin in college, but not nearly as thin as Mary and had a ton of trouble trying to put on her size 24 and still wet suit. I got it on and ran back out to the blocks and my heat was just getting in the pool so I barely made it. I don't remember how I did, but the memory of the suit incident will be fresh in my mind for a long time, even if it was 12 years ago!

ensignada
January 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I'm keeping a running list. One of these days I'll sit down, rank them and let you all know what the winner is.

poolraat
January 18th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I was standing behind the blocks about 2 heats before my 100 back finals at conferences my freshman year of college and a girl taps me on the shoulder to tell me that my suit had ripped....right down the seam in the back. Darn paper suits!

But it was back stroke and your suit was ripped in the back.
Where's the problem:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry. I couldn't resist being a smart ***.

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 19th, 2007, 02:24 PM
The worst thing to happen ever to me was at the Key outdoor pool in DC. I changed and went out tot he deck. I did some stretching. got into the pool and did about half of my work out. An older woman walked up to the side of the pool and told me the bottom of my speedos were ripped out. I thanked her and got out. fortuneatley, I acted as if nothing were wrong and no one else said a thing to me. What was so terrible was that I knew about halfg of the other guys swimming inthe lap lanes.

I got dresses. I walked down P St to the sports shop and bought a new pair & returned to pool and finished my workout. I guess I was the only one embarassed. I wonder if anyone besides the lady noticed. I was freaked out .

newmastersswimmer
January 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM
O.k. guys.....this doesn't exactly fit this thread topic because its not an embarressing swimming moment per-se....but it is most embarressing and it just happened to me about an hour ago. I teach a pre-calculus class at 12:00 today and an elementary algebra class at 10:00....the pre-calc class is in room 118, the elem alg class is further down the hall in room 102....so I'm heading to my elem alg class at 10:00 and when I pass room 118 my brain gets crossed and I enter room 118 (instead of room 102) and Now I'm in pre-calc mode....So I start my precalc lecture for the day and ask for questions over the hw assignment I gave the other day...etc...and about 5 minutes or so into the class someone raises his hand and says....excuse me but are you substituting for Mr. Dixon today? I look out over the crowd of students and then realize that I don't recognize any of them....Ah I answer....I guess Mr. Dixon is a little late today and I'm sure he will be here any minute...I then apologize for entering the wrong class....put my head down and crawl for the door.....So I get to my elem alg class late and procede as usual.....Talk about an example of a Southwest Airlines comercial where the final slogan is "Want to get away"....LOL!! OMG I have never been so embarressed in my life...LOL!! At least I don't have to face those students in Mr. Dixon'e Pre-Calcl class ever again...LOL!! (that is unless I see one or more of them down the road in a future semester that is....)

Newmastersswimmer

poolraat
January 24th, 2007, 12:55 PM
.... I enter room 118 (instead of room 102) and Now I'm in pre-calc mode....So I start my precalc lecture for the day and ask for questions over the hw assignment I gave the other day...etc...and about 5 minutes or so into the class someone raises his hand and says....excuse me but are you substituting for Mr. Dixon today? I look out over the crowd of students and then realize that I don't recognize any of them....Ah I answer....I guess Mr. Dixon is a little late today and I'm sure he will be here any minute...I then apologize for entering the wrong class....put my head down and crawl for the door.....

That is way too funny. :rofl:
My brother works for the college here and tells us about one of the older instructors that does this frequently. Used to really confuse the students but it's a big joke now.
Can you say "absent minded professor"?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

swimr4life
January 24th, 2007, 01:10 PM
These stories are a hoot and have given me the courage to tell one of my embarassing stories. :rolleyes:

I was about 16 and had just finished swim practice. I was coming out of the dressing room and my coach asked me a question. I thought he said "Do you drive an Audi?" I said "NO. I drive a Volkswagon." He and all my teammates proceeded to laugh so hard that they couldn't breathe. I'm standing there puzzled going , "WHATS SO FUNNY?" My coach proceeded to tell me that what he had in fact asked me was, "Do you have an "innie" or an "outtie" belly button!" I was soooo embarassed and was teased about for many years. In fact I still see my coach, Chris Davis, very frequently at Swimatlanta and he STILL asks me how my "Volkswagon" is! :rofl:

newmastersswimmer
January 24th, 2007, 02:18 PM
just wanted to chime in and say that Poolrat has one of the best signatures on the board....and I thought my signature was good...LOL!!

And that was an hillarious story swim4life....I have a similar type story that happened to a friend of mine who use to wait tables with me when I worked at the Olive Garden (back in Houston TX)....WARNING: Its a boderline racy kind of story (so if you're easily offended by slightly off color humor please DO NOT continue reading this!!...I hope I don't get suspended from the forum for this??)...Anyway the story goes like this: Some lady with an "accent" (like a brooklyn type northern accent) was sat at one of his recently bussed tables that did not have fresh silverware on it yet (dumb hostesses)....anyway, she asked him "where's my fork and knife"...and he thought she was just asking for a knife only (in a derogatory way so to speak...with the brooklyn type accent it sounded like a harsh request for a knife only if you know what I mean)....so he went and brought a knife back to the lady and started massively apologizing and such when she excaimed in an even louder voice..."I said I wanted a fork and knife what's wrong with you ...you don't understand plain English or what...etc..."
He turned 3 shades of red and said...please Mam I brought you a knife which is what you asked for o.k. there is no need to angry and use that kind of language...etc.. (By this time we all noticed this major ordeal developing)...Finally they both understood the confusion and both started laughing ...we all ran back to the wait station and laughed our butts off until we were almost crying.

Newmastersswimmer

globuggie
January 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Once in practice I did a really bad flip turn and somehow went under the lane rope and started swimming in the next lane over - still haven't figured out exactly what happened.