PDA

View Full Version : Help! My pool just closed!!!

poolraat
November 14th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I'm three days from one of my biggest meets of the year and due to problems with the pool heating system, the City closed the pool until it can be repaired.
I don't mind swimming in 72 temps.* but I'm apparently the only one.

My only option for swimming is to swim at a fitness center with a pool about 12 yds long and temp around 90.

Any suggestions?

*Actually, I do mind, but just gotta "cowboy up" and "git-r-done".

swimmerlisa
November 14th, 2006, 03:16 PM
floyd - perhaps search online to see if pools are nearby at other gyms or hotels or at YMCAs. If not, you're going to get a great taper in by not swimming as much yardage as you are used to.

poolraat
November 14th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Lisa,
It will definitely be a great taper. A bit more than I had planned.
As far as the online search.....I live in a very rural area, the nearest pool is 120 miles away.

BillS
November 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I swam in a health club pool for 6 weeks while our pool was closed. The air temp, humidity, and water temp were all even at about 92. There was one lane line, no gutters, and no tees on the walls. Getting a real workout was out of the question.

I practiced breakout after breakout in all strokes. I pushed off the wall and marked how far I went without kicking, then kept concentrating on my streamline and body positions to try and beat my mark. I practiced breastroke turns and pullouts. I practiced fly turns and IM transitions. I worked on learning to dolphin kick with more body undulation. I worked on my head position leaving the wall.

No, it didn't beat real swimming, but I think some of it helped and stuck with me.

poolraat
November 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I practiced breakout after breakout in all strokes. I pushed off the wall and marked how far I went without kicking, then kept concentrating on my streamline and body positions to try and beat my mark. I practiced breastroke turns and pullouts. I practiced fly turns and IM transitions. I worked on learning to dolphin kick with more body undulation. I worked on my head position leaving the wall.

These are some good ideas. Thanks.

BillS
November 14th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I also spent quite a bit of time standing at the end of the pool guzzling water and trying to cool down. :)

Good luck.

Donna
November 14th, 2006, 04:47 PM
You might try one of those tethered belts and swim in place.

We had problems with our temperature too. It was down to 72 and we all just put on the wet suits and continued to swim.

Donna

kristilynn
November 14th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Floyd,

Major bummer! You're always welcome to come visit us in Boise. I got a kick out the response to look for other pools on line. Guess you have to be from our area to realize where Elko is! :p

I think that BillS has some great tips. Make sure that you take extra water if you go that route. You'll need water for hydration as well as for squirting on your face. Take longer rests in order to keep your body temp reasonable. Just think of the turn work you'll get in such a short pool! Since your only three days away, I think that it'll turn out okay for you.

Good luck!

Kristi

poolraat
November 14th, 2006, 05:54 PM
You're always welcome to come visit us in Boise. I got a kick out the response to look for other pools on line. Guess you have to be from our area to realize where Elko is!

Kristi
Actually, my meet this weekend is in Boise. (It took me a few minutes to figure out who you are...I'm kind of slow.)

dorothyrde
November 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM
You will probably be OK missing 3 work-outs. Stretch, add some land cardio, and actually the rest might make you swim faster.

If my pool goes down, I would be SOL, so I can sympathize.

Muppet
November 15th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Well if you live in a rural area, surely there is a lake or stream nearby??? :)

On a more serious note, training wise, how about some of these:

hotel pool w/ stretch-chord
mimicking strokes while lying on a work bench
above, visualizing your races
long stretch sessions
massage
sleep

good luck this weekend!

poolraat
November 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Well if you live in a rural area, surely there is a lake or stream nearby??? :)

Muppet-
Thanks for the advice. In answer to your question, there is a reservoir about 20 miles from town but this time of year the temps have already dropped into the 50's. That's too cold for me.

kristilynn
November 15th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Kristi
Actually, my meet this weekend is in Boise. (It took me a few minutes to figure out who you are...I'm kind of slow.)

Floyd,

So you're doing the Thanksgiving Invite, huh? Are you swimming it as a USA Swimmer or did I totally space that they put in a Masters age group?

I'll be there on Saturday to do dryland, so I'll stop by to see how the meet is going.

Once again, good luck!

Kristi

The Fortress
November 15th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Goodluck Poolraat!! Report back on how that "taper" worked out.

poolraat
November 15th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Hey Kristi
I'm doing it as USA -Elko Swim Team. I'll be swimming with the 15 and over group.
Drop in and say hi. I'll be officiating the morning sessions and swimming in the afternoon sessions.

Thanks Leslie. I'm hoping to get some good entry times for SC Nationals next spring.

The Fortress
November 15th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Pretty impressive for an ex-runner "late bloomer." I'm so glad you like the 50 back. Try not to DQ too many little kids!

poolraat
November 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks to all who offerred advice. Just a quick update on how things are going. Since Tuesday most of my training has been:drink: :drink: and more:drink: .

On a more serious note. Have been working on underwater swimming at the short, hot fitness center pool. Lots of SDK and working on the transition to flutter and the breakout. Travel tomorrow. Wish me well and thanks again.

Leonard Jansen
November 16th, 2006, 01:41 PM
If you still need a place to swim, I can give you the name of the plumber who just turned our basement into a 70'X30' swimming pool. Of course, we didn't ask for a swimming pool down there - we thought he was going to fix the master bathroom shower valve. A bungled job and gravity took care of the lack of swimming pool in the basement. I'm sure he could easily convert your basement into a pool for you, too.

-LBJ

poolraat
November 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I'm sure he could easily convert your basement into a pool for you, too.

I'm glad I don't have a basement. That would really make me angry. :mad:
I'm also glad your plumber is more than 2000 mi. from here.

Muppet
April 27th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I'm bumping this one up...

I walked into UMD today, and the bulkheads were hanging out on deck. Holey crap, you should have seen the muck on the bottom of those things. The pool hasnt been drained since it was built - they were in the water for 10 years.

Anyone want to swim a 52.5 meter butterfly??? :dedhorse:

But they're closing down the indoor pools for 6 weeks :( for repair, whitecoat, blah blah blah... just in time for nationals. :( :frustrated: :dunno:

The good thing in all of this is that we'll be hosting two meets there this summer in what will essentially be a brand spankin new pool with brand new sparkling clear, clean and bulkhead-muck-free water!

tjburk
April 27th, 2007, 09:39 AM
http://www.swimmersguide.com/query/Main1.cfm

Good place to find pools all over the world!!

nkfrench
April 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Swimming is one of the few activities I can do. Orthopedist says all weightbearing activities are out; and I have limited mobility preventing others. Seems like the pools close at the most inconvenient times, too; during the winter and before championships or during the most intensive training.

I spend a lot of money so I have "plan B" and even "C" in case my primary swimmin' is not available either because of MY schedule or theirs. That includes a 48' backyard pool, health club membership, and USMS club. You would think I'd be in better shape