PDA

View Full Version : Yardage?

proberts
November 15th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I swam my 3000 postal swim this morning and had quite a bit of time to think, probably much more than most, and I was wondering how many yards most masters swim in a workout? From what I read here most workouts are interval types, I do intervals but of longer duration than many ( 500,1000,1500 ) I am more sea turtle than shark. I am sure this has been discussed to death here, just to lazy ( like I said, sea turtle ) to look it up. Thanks.

proberts
November 15th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Since I always swim alone (3-3500) I was wondering mostly what team workouts are like, but would still be curious what individual swimmers are doing as well.

poolraat
November 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I swim alone 5-6 days/week and average around 3000. Less if I'm doing sprint and stroke work, more if it's long free intervals.

Frank Thompson
November 15th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I swam my 3000 postal swim this morning and had quite a bit of time to think, probably much more than most, and I was wondering how many yards most masters swim in a workout? From what I read here most workouts are interval types, I do intervals but of longer duration than many ( 500,1000,1500 ) I am more sea turtle than shark. I am sure this has been discussed to death here, just to lazy ( like I said, sea turtle ) to look it up. Thanks.

Proberts:

Rather than take a trip down memory lane, I have provided links to discussions here and you can see how people feel about practice volume.

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=5044&highlight=yardage

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=6739

proberts
November 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks, I will check it out.

aquaFeisty
November 15th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Oh. My. Gosh.

I just checked out that first link that Skip sent. Well, it started out as a poll about yardage but morphed into some really bizarro thread. At least a comment that someone made on another thread a while back about 'he whose name must not be mentioned' makes more sense now.

I voted for the 3000-3500 yardage. That seems to be about what my team typically does in an hour, although it can go up over 4200 at the 75 min distance practices. On my own, I'm really bad. Rarely more than 1500 yds and lots of drills and flutter or dolphin kicking (the things that I feel just too slow to practice when people are watching.)

proberts
November 15th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah I checked out that thread and only made it past the second page...didn't mean to start that up again.

scyfreestyler
November 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Man! There are some real yardage junkies in here!

indyswimbag
November 15th, 2006, 06:30 PM
OK

So I do have a job BUT due to time constraints and pool constraints I try to do 3 practices a week on my days off that are about 5000yds. I am a distance "dog" that flirts with the IM and does breaststroke. I try and do 1 distance day where the repeats are 500+, 1 IM day where I focus on turns transitions etc. And finally because its "good for me" a sprint day where I do repeat 100s/50s. I really dislike the whole sprint thing BUT they say that it is good to do...the only fast twitch muscles that I have are above the neck... I can talk fast and blink fast:thhbbb: thats about it.

islandsox
November 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I couldn't vote; it didn't go far enough. Because I swim alone and always in the ocean, I would have to say 4+ miles daily is pretty average for me. But think about it, I have lots of fish to always look at which keeps it from getting mundane. Everything here on the island is in miles. If I swim my best girlfriend home, that is 2 miles, then 2 miles back. If I am going to lunch at West Bay, that is 3 miles (but I take a water-taxi back). I guess I use swimming as a mode of transportation!!! (LOL)

Donna

proberts
November 15th, 2006, 08:05 PM
That sounds awesome...I'm jealous.:notworthy:

knelson
November 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Only in masters would 4,500 yards be the highest category!

Muppet
November 15th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I chose the 4500 selection because,
1, we usually hit that mark, though I swim 3, maybe 4 days a week, so its not like I am killing myself all week long
2, because the second half of that choice may soon apply... anyone hiring?

born2fly
November 16th, 2006, 11:24 AM
My yardage varies. I swim 6 times a week, 3 practices are with the USS team where yardage goes anywhere from 7,000-9,000yds a practice. The other practices are in morning where practices are shorter probably doing about 4,500yds. If I do not do the morning practices then I work out with USS in evening where it is about 5,500 yds.

I do have a job, on call 7x24, 2 dogs, 2 kids, 2 wifes haha, one wife really with a honey dew list a mile long.

greg

swimshark
November 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Depends on how long the practice is and who I'm swimming with. At the masters 1 hour practice, I try for 3200 (I add some tot he workout). At the kids 90 min practice we've hit 4800 easily. At their 2 hour practice we're hitting around 5000 (and doing a lot of technique work)

Alison

EyeoreSAM
November 16th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I also have a job, 1 kid, 3 dogs, 3 cats and a husband (should he count as a kid?), but I still get in between 5-6000 per day and some days I do a little more when I get in with my team at night. I have tried a bunch of different distances and I feel the best in this range. To each his own!

gbrittongeology
November 16th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Depends on how lazy I feel. Optimally, 4000yds, now 24-2600 yds. It's a work in progress to get back to consistantly 4000. It's boring to do it by yourself. I need someone to tell me what to do[ called the coach!].

poolraat
November 16th, 2006, 06:54 PM
It's boring to do it by yourself. I need someone to tell me what to do[ called the coach!].

I agree 100%!! It's hard to keep motivated when working out alone,
and having a coach write the workout and tell you what is great. I've been my own coach since last May and it's real easy to write a slacker workout, and just do junk yards.

funkyfish
December 18th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Uh, yardage? Still trying to get past being "wet behind the ears," but have now moved up to 3000. The most I've swam in 20yrs. My longterm goal is to see how much I can do in 1hr. We used to swim 5-8k when I was in high school, which wasn't too bad for a high school team. Not quite hungry enough to hit that kind of distance right now.