PDA

View Full Version : Local clubs near Southbury CT

mjcram
November 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I am looking to join a swim group near Southbury CT. Does anyone belong to a group near here?

Thanks,
Mike

SwimStud
December 7th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Mike the only one I have heard of is in Westport.
I currently swim at the Brookfield Y but there is no masters teams or clubs.

bbpolhill
December 8th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Did you try going to the Connecticut Masters Swimming website. There is a selection on the menu for Places to Swim. Some may have Masters programs.

http://www.connmasters.org/

mjcram
December 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Mike the only one I have heard of is in Westport.
I currently swim at the Brookfield Y but there is no masters teams or clubs.

Brookfield would be the closest, I talked to the Westport group but too far. There is a master group in Cheshire and Waterbury which would not be bad. I read that Brookfield Y is getting a 50meter pool. Is this true? We need to start a masters swim group/team there.

mjcram
December 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Did you try going to the Connecticut Masters Swimming website. There is a selection on the menu for Places to Swim. Some may have Masters programs.

http://www.connmasters.org/

Yes, thanks. There are many pools listed with contact info for people involved. I sent several emails with minimal replies. I think there is a lot of stale information out there. :dunno:

I'm thinking Brookfield CT.

SwimStud
December 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Brookfield would be the closest, I talked to the Westport group but too far. There is a master group in Cheshire and Waterbury which would not be bad. I read that Brookfield Y is getting a 50meter pool. Is this true? We need to start a masters swim group/team there.

They are still fundraising for building one. There are a few serious swimmers there some in masters, tri-athletes etc. I am curious why they don't have a masters group. Perhaps it's pool time? They tried a year or two back but it was 10am in the morning Tues and Thurs.

I've only been at this a month or 2 perhaps. I'm there M, W and F evening (or Sat) depending on my kids etc If you want to train with anyone. My only issue is that I'm not a great front crawler; 50's seem to be about my limit right now...though 100's on a good day too. I am working on my crawl technique as well as trying to get into shape--I'm a breaststroker by nature. However if you want someone to hang with at work out time and do little team work let me know. If nothing else it would be a familiar face.

SwimStud
February 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Mike the Brookfield Y is going to have a 50m facility ready for June 1. In case you had not got an update.

Rich