PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here been nipped?

laineybug
November 16th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I just heard a report on the evening news that at least 14 swimmers in San Fransico have been nipped/bitten by a sea lion or seal.

Any of you in that category?

Lainey

fanstone
November 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Here is the deal: when you are scuba diving or snorkeling, one of the creatures you WANT to see is a shark, then maybe a giant sting ray, and so forth. I was once in the Galapagos, doing some snorkeling (as part of the whole package) and out of nowhere appeared some sharks, about two to three feet long. I called out to the guide, and weirdly, I could only remember the word in spanish (TÝburon), which isn't my second or third language. But the guy was from Ecuador and understood and said it was okay. Then some seals appeared. I was more scared of the seals than of the sharks. I swam above the sharks but when I dove they would quickly move. However there is a beach on northeastern Brazil, where there have been plenty of shark attacks on surfers, with more deaths in this century than the whole past recorded deaths in the last centuries. I will be swimming in the ocean come January, but at a place where you need to look real close to see a six inch fish. Isn't the water in San Francisco cold? I didn't know you were allowed to swim there, unless you were fleeing Alcatraz. Whatever, billy fanstone (no wet suits here)

islandsox
November 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Well, not me. When I did the Alcatrez swim several times, my biggest obstacle was other swimmers (thank goodness). But I am sure I could be nipped when I try a very long distance coming up in a year and a half or more. Scary stuff!!!

But so far, no encounters!!!! And I am grateful for that!!! After all, it is THEIR world.

Donna

scyfreestyler
November 16th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I despise those creatures. They are a real thorn in the side of fisherman and boat owners in this area.

SwimStud
November 17th, 2006, 08:37 AM
No...they ejected the last group of seals that tried to crash the pool at the Y! :rofl:

I did get chased by a fish when swimming in Greece...it would follow meand every time I turned to look at it it would turn and back off...then follow again..it was kind of cute...maybe it was after my Speedos!! :joker: