PDA

View Full Version : A Cautionary Tale

gull
November 17th, 2006, 12:22 PM
This story might be of interest to posters on this forum:

http://cnn.org/2006/WORLD/europe/11/17/britain.webrage.reut/index.html

Coincidentally, a few days ago I was attacked by a group of guys with fist gloves. Fortunately, I was able to fight them off with my kick board. I have deleted all personal information from my profile.

scyfreestyler
November 17th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I am truly amazed that this is the first documented incident of such a thing.

On a more personal note, I am glad that you survived the fistglove attack.

aquageek
November 17th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Imagine the horror if they were weilding sharpened noodles in addition to the fist gloves.

scyfreestyler
November 17th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Imagine the horror if they were weilding sharpened noodles in addition to the fist gloves.

Dare I say, this thread would not exist would that have been the case.

proberts
November 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Pickaxe and a Machete...I guess he was a bit indecisive.

gull
November 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Well, they did have drills.

Backman
November 17th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Having an alias is a good counter measure.

Frank Thompson
November 17th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Gull:

What did you do to make these guys attack you with fist gloves and drills? Did you insult them with fish like swimming? Did they feel threatened because they know how you feel about noodlers? Was the kickboard a good defensive mechanism to ward off the attack? It must have been for you to live and tell us about this.

laineybug
November 17th, 2006, 03:58 PM

I can understand your fear of those unfit 65+ year old women.

newmastersswimmer
November 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM
What did you do to make these guys attack you with fist gloves and drills? Did you insult them with fish like swimming? Did they feel threatened because they know how you feel about noodlers? Was the kickboard a good defensive mechanism to ward off the attack? It must have been for you to live and tell us about this.

posted by Frank Thompson

I would also like to hear more about how you fought these attackers off with a kickboard......I'm getting a vision of a Steven Segal movie...only Steven is replaced by a master's swimmer at practice fighting with a kickboard instead of numchucks....How many attackers were there? How were you able to take them all out? Were they wearing shirts that had Pro-TI Advertising on them?.....There are so many questions that come to mind......I am glad to hear you were able to escape the situation unharmed....I would be more than a little freaked out if that happened to me though!!....What makes you think the attack was internet related?....just curious.

Newmastersswimmer

scyfreestyler
November 17th, 2006, 06:03 PM
In all sincerity, I think the chances of this type of thing occuring are quite slim. It is far more likely that my agressive driving style will result in somebody following me home and causing me to call Gull for help. Statistically speaking, you are probably more likely to die in a fiery car crash than to be attacked by a fired up internet junky.

BTW, my personal information listed on this website is totally ficticious.

Backman
November 17th, 2006, 06:27 PM
If a large fellow in a red bikini is observed lurking on your street...

Run!

gull
November 17th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Alright, here's what happened: Everybody was kung-fu fighting--those kicks were fast as lightning. In fact, it was a little bit frightning, but they fought with expert timing.

Seriously, although I do have a black belt, they immediately recognized the kickboard as an instrument of evil. But I think what scared them off in the end was my mindless yardage.

aquageek
November 17th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I can understand your fear of those unfit 65+ year old women.

I just wish they could explain how they can keep their blue hair dry and their makeup intact while doing "aerobic" activity in the pool.

Peter Cruise
November 17th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I can visualize maddened forum members having to take a number at some future Nationals before they can indulge in 'GeekRage'...

aquageek
November 18th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I can visualize maddened forum members having to take a number at some future Nationals before they can indulge in 'GeekRage'...

Fortunately the one who would be first in line is afraid to become a member so I don't expect a thorough drubbing.

swimr4life
November 18th, 2006, 04:28 PM
You could have a group of supporters....call them "The Geek Squad"!:rofl:

Peter Cruise
November 18th, 2006, 04:57 PM
They could be The Geek's Athletic Supporters...

poolraat
November 20th, 2006, 05:02 PM
These comments are a hoot!
But on a more serious note, armed with only my first name and the fact that I am a swimmer, within only a few hours, a newcomer to my town could find out where I live and work, where my wife works, where my children go to school, and the list goes on. It's great to live in a small town, isn't it?

gull
November 21st, 2006, 09:25 AM
It's great to live in a small town, isn't it?

Some days, I'm not so sure. Ande told me a friend of his had written a song entitled "What's it gonna take to get a Hooters in this town?" That pretty much sums up the way of thinking in the (nameless) town where I live. On the other hand, if it takes you more than five minutes to get somewhere, you're lost.

aquageek
November 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM
Piggybacking on gull's tales of woe (what happened to the 80 part of gull80) - a fellow swimmer of mine has recently been sidelined by serious shoulder surgery. Our pool has two pools, a hot one and cold one. This pal has been using the hot one for water jogging. Today, the noodling crowd, which occupies 3 lanes at 5:30 am kicked her out. Mind you, they literally float in the water with their buffalo belts on doing absolutely nothing remotely fitness oriented. The pool assaults are really escalating, be forewarned.

gull
November 21st, 2006, 10:02 AM
...what happened to the 80 part of gull80?

Henceforth, I shall be known simply as "gull", or if you prefer "Gull", "Big Gull" or "Mighty Gull".

Actually, gull80 was my evil twin, a very vocal critic of TI, noodles and nonmembers who post on this forum.

ande
November 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM
here's the link
http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewtrack.php?trackid=15342

Some days, I'm not so sure. Ande told me a friend of his had written a song entitled "What's it gonna take to get a Hooters in this town?" That pretty much sums up the way of thinking in the (nameless) town where I live. On the other hand, if it takes you more than five minutes to get somewhere, you're lost.

swimr4life
November 21st, 2006, 04:34 PM
That song is cute.....and so is the guy singing it!;)

Allen Stark
November 21st, 2006, 04:56 PM
The song reminded me of something that happened recently. We had dropped my youngest son off at college and my wife,daughter and I were driving back through Seattle. After we passed a Hooters Billboard my daughter commented that it was the third one she had seen on the trip. At this point my wife said" I guess Hooters are big in Seattle" My daughter and I nearly died laughing while my wife puzzled at what was so funny. When she realized what she said she gave us "the look" and we had to calm down.

scyfreestyler
November 21st, 2006, 05:07 PM
The song reminded me of something that happened recently. We had dropped my youngest son off at college and my wife,daughter and I were driving back through Seattle. After we passed a Hooters Billboard my daughter commented that it was the third one she had seen on the trip. At this point my wife said" I guess Hooters are big in Seattle" My daughter and I nearly died laughing while my wife puzzled at what was so funny. When she realized what she said she gave us "the look" and we had to calm down.

Now that is a funny story! :rofl:

The Fortress
January 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Henceforth, I shall be known simply as "gull", or if you prefer "Gull", "Big Gull" or "Mighty Gull".

Actually, gull80 was my evil twin, a very vocal critic of TI, noodles and nonmembers who post on this forum.

What happened?

Re: pool assaults. I was swimming at my rec center Monday. Three lanes empty. A walker jumped in my lane instead of one of the empty lanes. That has got to be bad lane etiquette. I proceeded to fish my monofin out from my swim bag. One look at it and the walker was gone.

Caped Crusader
January 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Now that is a funny story! :rofl:

That was hilarious.

I tried to view the initial article, but couldn't.

Is Lewis Medlock Geek's real name?

Peter Cruise
January 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Lewis Medlock was a character in 'Deliverance'.

Caped Crusader
January 24th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Lewis Medlock was a character in 'Deliverance'.

Is your name real? Is anyone using their real names on this forum or just posting anonymously? I assume that Ande's and George's and Terry's names are real? I feel that I should even take my first name off at this point.

Peter Cruise
January 24th, 2007, 06:18 PM
My name is my own, no cosmetic changes. Some prefer anonymity, some don't. The Geek is a participant in the Federal Witless Protection program.

Caped Crusader
January 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM
My name is my own, no cosmetic changes. Some prefer anonymity, some don't. The Geek is a participant in the Federal Witless Protection program.

I gather others may be too?

Are you the fellow sending lard bombs to NC that I have read of?

The Fortress
January 24th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I gather others may be too?

Are you the fellow sending lard bombs to NC that I have read of?

You must be speaking of the old flame war days of old. Way back then he might have had some for Geek. ;)

Peter Cruise
January 24th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I have ceased and desisted tossing such bombs. I no longer make fun of North Carolingians; I reek of civility. I will however, continue to try and amuse. If I bruise anyone, I haven't meant to since the gory, gaudy,gruesome days of the Forums Flame Wars.

gull
January 25th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Is your name real? Is anyone using their real names on this forum or just posting anonymously? I assume that Ande's and George's and Terry's names are real? I feel that I should even take my first name off at this point.

Gull is my real nickname.

My avatar is a photo of an actual gull.

The picture I posted of Geek on another thread was deleted.

scyfreestyler
January 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I sometimes wonder if that mysterious photo is actually of gull...posted in an attempt to throw people off. Hmm?

aquageek
January 25th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I sometimes wonder if that mysterious photo is actually of gull...posted in an attempt to throw people off. Hmm?

I plan to take a photo of me and the pigeon this weekend at the meet. You'll be able to tell who chickenhawk is - he'll be the dude in the $400 FSII crying. I'll be the one drinking the hot Starbucks.

And, since he's taking his cardiac road show to Austin I'll have to wait til May of 2008 to twist him up like a pretzel again.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 25th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I'm not really the fish in my avatar, but don't tell anyone. And if someone finds my inner fish, please ask her to phone home.

btw, Is there, by any chance, another way to access the CNN story? When I opened the link, it said "page not available" or some such. I want to be ready with my kickboard in case I see the perps.

The Fortress
January 26th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I plan to take a photo of me and the pigeon this weekend at the meet. You'll be able to tell who chickenhawk is - he'll be the dude in the $400 FSII crying. I'll be the one drinking the hot Starbucks.

I'm sure we all happily await those pictures! Especially now that Speedo Man is deleted. What a shame. I had a good laugh every time I say that picture. Isn't Gull in a different age group than you, Geek?

I thought it was just sprinters that were obsessed with caffeine. Don't spill that hot coffee on yourself. Not that you'd ever hire a lawyer...

I am a sprinter girl. Fortress is my real name (Leslie) translated. My practice nickname is Little Mermaid. Unlike Geek, however, I am not a movie character.

ande
January 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM
here's the link
http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewtrack.php?trackid=15342
let me know what you think of it

ande

Frank Thompson
January 26th, 2007, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=The Fortress;76018]I'm sure we all happily await those pictures! Especially now that Speedo Man is deleted. What a shame. I had a good laugh every time I say that picture.

It isn't deleted. I found it the other day looking and surfing for something. Its #80. You can still have a good laugh. Is it Geek or Gull?

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=4993&page=4&highlight=duel+pool

The Fortress
January 26th, 2007, 07:12 PM
It isn't deleted. I found it the other day looking and surfing for something. Its #80. You can still have a good laugh. Is it Geek or Gull?

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=4993&page=4&highlight=duel+pool

Thanks Frank! I had another laugh. The identity issue is still a mystery, but hopefully Geek will be kind enough to post the picture he's taking at the upcoming "duel in the pool"/500 "guitar smashing" showdown on this thread so we are not all left hanging! Since they are both anonymous now, we cannot look up their times. I guess you may be able to because you probably recall their names before they went anonymous. I think I recall Gull's. I notice they haven't posted their times on the "lifetime bests" thread. Why, neither have you!