PDA

View Full Version : injury right outta the box

Steven
November 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Hello all. New member here, new swimmer but lifelong gym rat. As I move from weightroom and basketball court into the pool, I've injured/torn the muscle that attaches to my collarbone while learning the breaststroke.
Is this common?
How long should I stay away from the pool?
I iced my shoulder-neck area after the injury occurred - should I continue to do so in the ensuing days?
I take swim lessons but won't see my instructor again for two weeks, with the holidays and all.
I think I can still exercise with a kickboard, but it's a little discouraging to get hurt right away after trying to leave behind the sore back and knees and elbows of my former fitness life!
Steven

SwimStud
November 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Sorry to hear that Steve I'm a breaststroker too and I would be crushed to tear something that impacted my stroke.
I'd say rest it good and long until it feels ready.
I'm no doc but kick boards shouldn't hurt as long as you're not straining your arm and shoulder while you do kicks with the board it's probably OK. Maybe you can experiment to find a way to be comfortable.
Take it easy anyhow, but doing something in the water may stop you from feeling down about the injury.
Remember if you've not really been a swimmer before don't approach it like you would your routine weights etc..muscles are probably "pre-armed" for other movements and you caught them a bit off guard.
;)

The Fortress
November 20th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I got injured "right outta the box too." It's not a happy feeling. If you think you've really torn something, I'd go see an orthopod right away. And kickboards do strain your shoulders. I wouldn't use one with that injury. Don't get discouraged. Richjb is right. Those swimming muscles are different. Start slow and only go up 10% a week or so or your rotator cuff muscles might suffer too.

SwimStud
November 20th, 2006, 03:22 PM
. And kickboards do strain your shoulders. I wouldn't use one with that injury. .

I was thinking he maybe able to hold it (or 2) high under his chest with crossed arms (more like a flotation device)...and let the uninjured arm take the strain...we used to so this as kids.

Yes I agree though, I wouldn't swim with it stretched out in front.
Could try backstoke kicks with a board under your head with you good arm holding it. Just don't swim through any pain!

scyfreestyler
November 20th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I have no familiarity with your specific injury but I can sympathize with the injured outta the box syndrome. I wanted to swim in the worst way but kicking was the only water borne activity I was permitted to enjoy. Looking back on it, the whole thing seems quite insignificant but at the time I was furious. Just remember that one day in the not so FAR future you too will look back on this injury as a simple speedbump in your path to swimming fitness.

Off topic, but holy crap...I have exceeded 1,000 posts!