PDA

View Full Version : The Thorpedo Retires!

swimmerlisa
November 20th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I am shocked and saddened!

From USA Today:

Thorpe, 24, held a news conference Tuesday to announce his decision at a downtown Sydney hotel.
Thorpe said he came to the decision at "2:53 on Saturday afternoon" not to swim at next year's world championships in Melbourne and to finish his professional swimming career.
Plagued by illness, injury and a lack of motivation, Thorpe hasn't competed in a major international event since the Athens Olympics.
Thorpe burst onto the swimming scene as a teenager and swam to 13 world records between 1990-2002, becoming an international star after dominating the pool at the Sydney Olympics.
Thorpe and American Michael Phelps are acknowledged as the world stars of the sport.
The Australian swimmer, nicknamed "Thorpedo," won the 200- and 400-meter freestyle events at the Athens Olympics.
He planned a year-long break after Athens, claiming "mental fatigue" and hoping to stay fresh for major competitions down the road.
He later decided not to compete at last year's world championships in Montreal, then dropped out of the Commonwealth Games in March due to a bout of glandular fever.
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2006-11-20-thorpe-retires-update_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

knelson
November 21st, 2006, 12:09 AM
Oh, that stinks. Thorpe truly raised the bar. He will be missed.

Warren
November 21st, 2006, 02:33 AM
I think it was time for him to retire even though he is 24. He was not happy.

KaizenSwimmer
November 21st, 2006, 06:08 AM
I've been interviewed several times in recent weeks by Philippa Bourke, an LA-based writer for the Sydney Morning Herald who was preparing an article on Thorpe hiring a "stroke guru" - Milt Nelms - a topic that appeared on a thread here in Sept.
Turns out this was big news in OZ and the public - who feels they "own" Ian were very worried about the possible effect of this unknown quantity being introduced.
She published her article yesterday but the topic was made moot by the leaking of news that Thorpe would be announcing his retirement. She said he'd been suffering from depression and ill health - an unspecified "glandular fever."
Learning how unrelenting was the magnifying glass under which he lived there made it easier to understand how fatigue with all that could also prompt such a decision.

thewookiee
November 21st, 2006, 07:01 AM
Thank goodness that we have all been blessed with the opporunity to see him race.

We shouldn't be sad that he is retiring. We should all look back at the moments he has provided the swimming world and smile.

Good luck in whatever future endeavors hold for the Great One.

knelson
November 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM
She said he'd been suffering from depression and ill health - an unspecified "glandular fever."

I believe that's what we would call mono.

FlyQueen
November 21st, 2006, 10:36 AM
I hope he's happy with whatever he does next. I'm glad we got to see him race, though I wish he'd hung around for two more years. This is going to hurt the Aussies, and their relays big time!

Muppet
November 21st, 2006, 10:37 AM
I wonder what Phelps' reaction to the news was... Although I am sure he's pleased that he's probably now a sho-in for the 200 and 400 gold, I bet he's PO'd he won't be able to have an Olympic rematch of the Athens matchup.

Props to the Thorpedo for not dragging it out. Best of luck to him.

quicksilver
November 21st, 2006, 10:37 AM
I think he'll be back. With his training base and relatively young age...there's no reason why he couldn't crank a very fast 200 free somewhere down the road.

I'll bet we'll see him on an Aussie relay in the future.

knelson
November 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Although I am sure he's pleased that he's probably now a sho-in for the 200 and 400 gold

There are guys named Hackett and van den Hoogenband who would vehemently disagree with you.

scyfreestyler
November 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM
There are guys named Hackett and van den Hoogenband who would vehemently disagree with you.

Can't wait to see that action on TV.:groovy:

Frank Thompson
November 21st, 2006, 12:32 PM

Kirk:

Agreed. I don't think Michael Phelps will swim the 400 Free again in major international competition meets like the World Championships or Olympics. If you remember back at the 2005 World Championships in Montreal he attempeted to challenge Hackett and the others in this event. Because the 400 IM is scheduled on the same day/session, he had to skip one of his best events. I saw the last half of this race on a video clip from CBC Broadcast of the meet. He got 7th in his heat and did not break 3:50.00. He was 18th overall from this prelim swim. This was the first time in 5 years that he missed a final in any event he ever swam. They did not have consolation heats for this event but if they had he would not have made those either. This was considered just a bad swim and showed inexperience in the event in international competition. Michael came back a couple of days later and bounced back like the champion he is with a best time in the 200 Meter Free at 1:45.20, which is almost the identical time that PVHoogenband did in 2004 in Athens when he recorded a time of 1:45.23. So with that there is no shoo in there.

I saw Michael Phelps swim the 400 Free last spring against Peter Vanderkaay and he was ahead at the 250 and at the 300 Vanderkaay went by him and beat him by at least 2 seconds. This was at one of those Classic series meets they have and I believe this was the first one held in Ann Arbor. Even though Phelps as been unbeaten in the LCM 400 IM, he has not had the fastest time in the last 2 years in this event in the FINA World rankings and that distinction belongs to Lazlo Cseh of Hungary. With the competion from Cseh and Ryan Lochette swimming better in this event, I cannot see him attemping a double 400 Free and 400 IM.

With Ian Thorpe retired, Grant Hackett moves to the favorite postion in the 400 Meter Free judging from his performances from the 2003 World Championships, 2004 Olympic Games, and the 2005 World Championships.

scyfreestyler
November 21st, 2006, 01:43 PM
In Phelps' defense, I think he had slacked off quite a bit in his training before the World Champs in '05. However, I agree that he is unlikely to pursue the 400 Free again on 2008. No single swimmer can dominate all events and I suspect that Bowman will see to it that Phelps concentrates his efforts where they are most likely to acheive success.

Thanks for the insight Frank.

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 21st, 2006, 06:54 PM
There are tons of rumors about thorpe and his reasons for training in LA. It is really hard to believe tht he is retiring so young.

The Fortress
November 21st, 2006, 11:29 PM
He was probably worn out from the OZ press and immense expectations. Gary Hall Jr. says he'll be back:

"AMERICAN swimming great Gary Hall Jr says personal experience tells him Ian Thorpe can return to win gold at the Beijing Olympics even if he misses next year's world championships."
Five-time Olympic champion Thorpe is to make an announcement on his swimming future in Sydney at midday.

LindsayNB
November 22nd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Maybe he just couldn't bear the thought of how early he would have to get up for morning finals in 2008... ;)

The Fortress
November 22nd, 2006, 09:26 AM
Why Lindsay, I think you may be right! :coffee:

scyfreestyler
November 22nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
This must be music to Vanderkaay's ears, huh? If it would have been Thorpe, Hackett, VDHoogenband on the podium perhaps now there is space for another man to medal in the 400. What other American swimmer shows promise for such an event?

thewookiee
November 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
This must be music to Vanderkaay's ears, huh? If it would have been Thorpe, Hackett, VDHoogenband on the podium perhaps now there is space for another man to medal in the 400. What other American swimmer shows promise for such an event?

Probably Klete Keller, since he has won the bronze medal in the 400 the last two Olympics. I doubt you would see Van DanHoogenband in the 400 free anyway.

knelson
November 22nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
And Lars Jensen. Pretty amazing that someone like Vanderkaay, who has swum a 4:08 500 free, is an underdog for a medal of any color in the 400 free.

Look out for the Korean kid, Park.

Warren
November 25th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Thorpe might have HIV. http://www.timedfinals.com/16052006/could-ian-thorpe-have-hiv-its-a-possibility/#comments

scyfreestyler
November 26th, 2006, 12:49 AM
If that were true it would be a real shame.

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 26th, 2006, 01:12 PM
If that were true it would be a real shame.

For anyone to be newly diagnosed with HIV/AIDS is a real shame! We really have so much shame on our shoulders considering how neglegent so many people are when it comes to understanding HIV and its tranmittal.

LindsayNB
November 26th, 2006, 07:22 PM
The evidence in the cited article is farcical. :shakeshead:
Thorpe had mono, nothing in the article makes me question that.

knelson
November 27th, 2006, 12:23 AM
The evidence in the cited article is farcical. :shakeshead:

I agree. First everyone speculates he's gay so the natural extension is he has AIDS.

scyfreestyler
November 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM
First everyone speculates he's gay so the natural extension is he has AIDS.

That is the misinformation of the century; the past century anyhow! It would be just as likely that he contracted it from a casual unprotected hetero encounter. Of course, all of this is most likely untrue and more importantly, none of our business.