PDA

View Full Version : More random technique questions, thoughts

Alphathree
November 21st, 2006, 09:52 AM
Questions:

1) Whip kick: I don't feel like I'm getting any power from my whip kick. I'm following my instructor's advice, but much like the flutter kick that I struggled with, I move very little. General comments on doing the 'power phase' of the kick correctly?

2) Strokes: How deep on a backstroke? I notice that when I stay too close to the surface, sometimes I thrash the water near the top, and other times I just don't get much power. If I dig deeper into the water, I get more power. But I thought 'good form' on a backstroke was near the top?

etrain
November 22nd, 2006, 09:07 AM
1) If you have a hard time with flutter kicking then you will most likely have problems with other kicking. I believe you are either good at kicking or you struggle. I personally struggle, and will probably always struggle to kick, I am just glad that I really don't have to worry about it because I can swim without kicking much. I really don't have a 2 beat kick but a 3 or 4 beat kick once I get moving!

2) I got the best advice for me in years a couple of weeks ago, basically swim and pull on the lane line. Yes, I said pull on the lane line! This is where you want your highest part of your pull to be. I place my hand in the water and reach out and down. Then once I have fully rolled over on my side I bring my hand up towards the surface of the water then push it back down past my waist. Also, remember to keep your elbow in close to the body or you can really strain it.

It took me awhile to fully understand what the coach was saying about pulling on the lane line, until I actually tried it! I too did what you are doing and thrashing the water on my right side. Thinking about it this way has really helped me in not doing it.

Hope this helps!

etrain

Alphathree
November 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
1) If you have a hard time with flutter kicking then you will most likely have problems with other kicking. I believe you are either good at kicking or you struggle. I personally struggle, and will probably always struggle to kick, I am just glad that I really don't have to worry about it because I can swim without kicking much. I really don't have a 2 beat kick but a 3 or 4 beat kick once I get moving!

2) I got the best advice for me in years a couple of weeks ago, basically swim and pull on the lane line. Yes, I said pull on the lane line! This is where you want your highest part of your pull to be. I place my hand in the water and reach out and down. Then once I have fully rolled over on my side I bring my hand up towards the surface of the water then push it back down past my waist. Also, remember to keep your elbow in close to the body or you can really strain it.

It took me awhile to fully understand what the coach was saying about pulling on the lane line, until I actually tried it! I too did what you are doing and thrashing the water on my right side. Thinking about it this way has really helped me in not doing it.

Hope this helps!

etrain

Thanks.

Re: kicking... my flutter kick did get better over time and it was mostly an issue of relaxing + body position rather than the specific technique. It may be the same for whip kick. I'll keep you posted. Incidentally,I seem to do a better whip kick on my front than on my back. Unfortunately, on my front, it usually goes like this:

Streamline
Pull
Breathe
Kick
Streamline
Pull
Pause
Breathe, Kick, Swear, Stand up, Cough

:)

Re: backstroke... even before I read your post, last night in the pool I was trying the pattern you describe: dig deep at first, then up to the surface, then down at my hips... and I got a LOT of power from that... I was very surprised, because I didn't understand the physics of it, but I couldn't deny the reality that it worked really well. It's easily twice as strong as my regular stroke. Crazy.