PDA

View Full Version : Help me with crawl pls

SwimStud
November 24th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!! I can't crawl...

OK I need a few tips please:
I can do a mile of Breastroke with a 100yd sprint every300yds.

I need to get my crawl going for a bit of variety and I stink lol. My technique isn't too bad but I want to get a coach after xmas for a session or two, to really help me get timing down and such.

Should I breather every right arm stroke or every 4 (this iswhat I learned as a kid). I am normally gasping after a mere 25yds if I try every 4th. Should I tough it out and keep going until I build up better stamina or give in and take the breath more frequently?

Should I try reducing my breastroke distance to say half a mile and then work on crawl in sets, with boards and without etc? Right now I'll do 25 or 50 as a "gasper" after I am warmed up etc...

Last question, will I still float after all that turkey, pie and wine?? :D

KaizenSwimmer
November 24th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Rich
Don't tough it out and keep going. And belay the kickboards too. The first option will only make your "struggling skills" more permanent. The second will only make you better at pushing a kickboard down a pool...and I gather that's not your goal.
Try mixing in a little freestyle with your breaststroke. Maybe 1 lap of free to every 2 or 3 of breast at first. On your freestyle laps, focus on any of the following -- but only one at a time. Start with the first and, over the course of a few weeks, work your way down the list. Over those same few weeks, you may find yourself able to shift the mix of free vs. breast until it's 2 or 3 of free to 1 of breast.

1) Keep your head neutral - or release its weight to the water.
2) Focus on lengthening your bodyline, rather than pushing water back.
3) Cut through the water like an arrow through the air.
4) Swim more quietly - minimize waves and splash.
5) Count strokes.

Enjoy.

SwimStud
November 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Rich

1) Keep your head neutral - or release its weight to the water.
2) Focus on lengthening your bodyline, rather than pushing water back.
3) Cut through the water like an arrow through the air.
4) Swim more quietly - minimize waves and splash.
5) Count strokes.

Enjoy.

thanks!!

#1 Doesn't seem to be a problem...it's a nice break on my neck and traps from breaststrokes undulation :) I'll just do a few laps of monitoring to make sure I am relaxing it.

#2,3,4 (they seem hard to seperate out right now) I have been trying too...eliminating the splash from legs and trying to "knife" my arms in, reaching forwards feeling the glide. I think that's what you're saying too, right?

I think I'll keep going with that for now and breathe every R arm stroke and worry about the stamina later...breathing is a good thing... :D

laineybug
November 24th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Make sure your hips are high, that reduces drag and therefore you use less energy. And don't try to get in a six beat kick, four will do just fine... using the big thigh muscles more uses more energy.

Lainey

Shadowvcd
November 24th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Should I breather every right arm stroke or every 4 (this iswhat I learned as a kid). I am normally gasping after a mere 25yds if I try every 4th. Should I tough it out and keep going until I build up better stamina or give in and take the breath more frequently?

Rich, I can only tell you what worked for me. I, too, learned every 4th as a kid. Then when I tired I'd breathe every 2. I think it probably made for a very sloppy stroke. When coaches forced hypoxic 5 or 7, that was really a joke to swim for me.

What I did was learn to breathe every third stroke, and it has become natural for me. If I remember correctly, I just swam real slow, warmup or warmdown speed, so your stroke doesn't get sloppy. Once it feels more natural then you can try a harder pace.

Breathing every third stroke is how I swim almost all of my free workouts and works best for me.

swimator
November 26th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Definitely minimize the breastroke :).

Here is more tips:

1 - keep your eyes pointed to the bottom of the pool
2 - relax
3 - swim more on your sides than on your stomach
4 - relax some more
5 - stretch your stroke
6 - do lots and lots of drills
7 - watch videos (like this one http://swimmingscience.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-not-to-swim-freestyle.html and learn from them what to do and what not to do.

ciao

SwimStud
November 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM
OK I am working on this. I still find I flounder a little toward the end of the 50 (obviously this is when I am working on technique) I can manage 50 without nearly drowning, in my own "way" hehe.

I am not sure how much of this is just down to lack of paractice at crawl and thus the fitness isn't there...will keep working

SwimStud
November 27th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Good news. My crawl was much better tonight.. I worked out that although I am looking down I was not rolling onto my right properly and have worked that a bit better...
..I'd say there was 20% less drowing this evening :)

slowfish
November 28th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I could use some tips myself. I'm trying to correct my tendency to pull towards the middle of my body, which in turn, makes my lower body pull from laneline to laneline in the opposite direction of my pull.

i saw a video of myself and it's not too far off of this! :banana: minus the waving arms!

I can "feel" it when i'm doing it but when i try and correct it, i tend to under rotate my shoulders. i swim alone right now versus going to masters due to scheduleing so i don't have access to a coach.

can anyone give me some specific things to think about to try and correct the banana movement?

thanks

SwimStud
November 30th, 2006, 12:36 PM
OK the stretching thing seems to work well for me and I am now getting 50m done without feeling like I'm drowning. :groovy:

I was even keeping pace with some other crawlers in the next lane and passing a guy without trying in my lane :applaud: although they were doing distance. I was doing 1 lap every 4 laps of breaststroke for a mile...I'm really trying to find a good technique ...I know I cold probably crash out some more crawl but the form might suffer...

So I'll keep wokring on this...anyone have tips for increasing the endurance side of this....or should I just shut my eyes nd go for another 1/2 lap?

SwimStud
December 6th, 2006, 09:32 PM
OK I figured out I was focusing so much on roll and stretch that I was kicking too many times but only little kicks...

I slowed down the kick speed and actually opened my legs...I actually felt myself flying along the very top of the water...

Of course after the run it all went "pear shaped" but I did niotice that and get back to good smooth wider kicks...:woot: