PDA

View Full Version : 50m Breast

BlayzingInfrno
November 26th, 2006, 05:18 PM
How long should you glide for these races?
Oleg Lisogor doesn't seem to have any glide at all.
Does anyone actually swim it without a breath?

Allen Stark
November 26th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Don't glide appreciably,but make sure you get completely streamlined at the kick. Also don't start the pull before the kick is finished(as used to be taught.)

Allen Stark
November 26th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I forgot to answer the second question. While you don't have to breath on a 50,I don,t remember seeing any world class swimmers doing so. The breathing is such an integral part of the undulation that everyone breaths every stroke. If you have a flatter stroke then not breathing might make sense. Experiment for yourself to see what is faster.

BlayzingInfrno
November 26th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I do believe Wayne thinks you shouldn't breath in a 50.

Rich Abrahams
November 27th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I'm far from a skilled breaststroker, but a coach buddy of mine described the timing on breaststoke that I think really helps at any distance. The concept is "push the needle, pull the needle." I take this to mean that you need to wait on the power phase of the kick until you're totally streamlined up front and you should not start your arm recovery until your legs are fully extended with toes pointed. It certainly helps my timing.

One other hint for keeping your hips up is to imagine there are luggage roller wheels on the front of your hips during the pull as you slide your lower body forward. This helps me from dropping my thighs.

Rich

scyfreestyler
November 27th, 2006, 01:34 PM
No breath on a 50 breast! I don't think I could pull that off at any pace close to fast.

Amber23
November 27th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I'm far from a skilled breaststroker, but a coach buddy of mine described the timing on breaststoke that I think really helps at any distance. The concept is "push the needle, pull the needle." I take this to mean that you need to wait on the power phase of the kick until you're totally streamlined up front and you should not start your arm recovery until your legs are fully extended with toes pointed. It certainly helps my timing.

One other hint for keeping your hips up is to imagine there are luggage roller wheels on the front of your hips during the pull as you slide your lower body forward. This helps me from dropping my thighs.

Rich

Those are some helpful tips, I will try them tonight. My breaststroke is pitiful. I would like to start racing IMs, but my breast is so slow, its embarrasing.