PDA

View Full Version : My first Video - Bring it on!

dorianblade
November 26th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I got a video of myself swimming today! woohoo!
I'd appreciate some comments. it was taken after a set so it wasn't the greatest lap but hey.. i'm not making excuses. i'd like some input. I've been swimming for 4 weeks now :woot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_IA0gBVjk0
Oh, i'd recommend scaling down the vid's resolution to see it a bit clearer.

LindsayNB
November 27th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Well, I think you are doing really well for only having been swimming four weeks, and the quality of the video makes it difficult to get a really good grasp on your technique, but there are two things I think you could work on. The first is body roll, you should try to roll as far on the non-breathing side as you do on the breathing side. The easiest way to work on that is to practice breathing on alternate sides. The other is that I get the impression that you are "dropping your elbows" which is resulting in a lot of "slip" and hence inefficiency and hence a higher number of strokes per length. If you simulate your freestyle arm motions while standing up vertically, you want your forearm and hand to form one long flat surface that is as horizontal as possible for as much of your stroke as possible. If your elbow drops below your wrist you won't have as much surface area to press against the water with and you won't get as much forward motion. Less importantly I notice that at the end of your left arm pull you throw a little water across your body as the hand exits the water, which indicates the timing of "releasing" the water and beginning the recovery is a little off. I hope that is helpful, good luck with continuing to improve, it's an endless process!

islandsox
November 27th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I won't "bring it on", I will congratulate you for swimming for only four weeks and having a video made and sharing it for people here to take a look and critique it. Way to go.

One thing I noticed, I think I noticed, was when you turn your head to breathe, your legs split apart and do a scissors kick. Try not to do this. Even though you turn to breathe, your legs should stay in the same position as when you don't breathe, more together.

Also, it may have just been the video and was hard to see, but I thought I saw your left arm almost enter elbow first instead of the hand. But, like I said, it may have been the video.

Good job, keep on swimming!!

Donna

scyfreestyler
November 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
From what I can see in that video I think you should be rather proud to have come so far in such a short period of time. By watching and listening to others you will find things to modify your stroke and determine what works for you and what does not work for you. Enjoy.

dorianblade
November 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Thank you for the feedback and comments. it's amazing how much you can learn from watching yourself. I do need to work on high recovery, longer strokes and streamlined body roll. I don't know if its common but i get sharp pain in my right arm when i try to simulate high elbow recovery, my left arm seems to be ok. what is going on?

LindsayNB
November 28th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I don't know if its common but i get sharp pain in my right arm when i try to simulate high elbow recovery, my left arm seems to be ok. what is going on?

You don't say where in your arm the pain occurs but one possibility is that you are achieving your high elbow recovery by moving your arm and elbow behind the plane of your body rather than by rolling your body. Try keeping your hand six or eight inches in front of your body as you move it from your thigh to overhead and see if that eliminates the pain. If you are rolled to the side as you recover this motion will still bring your hand over the water with a high elbow position. In the video you were hardly rolling onto your right side at all. Good luck!

dorianblade
November 28th, 2006, 10:53 AM
ok, when i simulate the recovery standing/sitting vertically, i place my hand in front of my shoulder and lift the elbow up 90 degrees in a forward semi-circle motion. that's when i get pain in my forearm. when i place my hand on top of my shoulder and lift the elbow i don't have any pain, only when i place my hand facing somewhat forward and lift my elbow i'm getting this pain. i hope im making sense.

Regarding te body roll, i usually breath every 3 strokes, that video was taken after swimming for an hour and i was too tired to alternate breath/roll. but i do know what you're referring too. next time i'll take a vid with alternate breaths to examine my body rotation. you made an important comment about placing he hand in front of the body to prevent pain. from my description, could it be what i'm doing wrong? since i can't evaluate my recovery in the water i try to simulate it on dry land but i may be doing it wrong simulating the recovery vertically if i'm having pain in the process.

LindsayNB
November 28th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Hmm, I'm unfamiliar with pain in the forearm. The issue of keeping your wrist and elbow in front of your body is a shoulder pain issue. Hopefully someone with experience with forearm pain will chime in... :help:

islandsox
November 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Which arm/forearm is causing pain? Both, or left or right? Does this happen regardless of what side you breathe on?

Donna

dorianblade
November 28th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Which arm/forearm is causing pain? Both, or left or right? Does this happen regardless of what side you breathe on?

Donna

my right one, regardless of the side i'm breathing on though i believe i put more strain on my right arm/shoulder. i also think i have some shoulder pain, but i feel the sharp pain on the middle/top forearm almost like pain in the bone.

if i lift my arm (straight) from my body to 90 degrees with my palm facing forward i dont have any pain. if i do the same thing with my palm facing backward backward, that's when i feel the pain. i don't know if its muscle bone or what.

islandsox
November 29th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Well, I find this unusual and I am no doctor. But, is your right hand cupped with fingers tightly together? I have heard people say that they have forearm fatigue and slight pain and I find they are swimming with their hand/forearm not relaxed enough and too "stiff." If this is not the case, see if you can ask a sports physical therapist for advice or check with your doctor.

I know you wanted a better answer, but this is baffling. Maybe someone else here will speak up and be able to help.

Donna

dorianblade
November 29th, 2006, 12:30 PM
thanks islandsox. I'm pretty sure its tissue tear.. i have been putting a lot of strain on my shoulders and hands the past several weeks.

So after a long day of work and school yesterday i decided to stop at the pool for a half and do some easy technique work. i decided to swim as slow as i could and focus on my movements: body roll, high elbows catch and leg work. First i must say swimming slow is one of the hardest things to do. i couldn't keep the forward momentum and rhythm, felt like i was drowning, kept needed to breath.. just horrible. after about 20 minutes i almost gave up on proper body roll AND high elbow recovery but them something just clicked and Ive noticed that when i roll my body my recovery arm and shoulder is actually out of the water and makes it much easier to "push" it forward and use a a high elbow to propel rather then force. YEAH!