PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

Caped Crusader
November 30th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I see that Geek is sippin' scotch and everyone else is drinking da wine and da beer. :drink: Me too.

But, I'm wondering, does alcohol increase or exacerbate inflammation?

SwimStud
November 30th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I see that Geek is sippin' scotch and everyone else is drinking da wine and da beer. :drink: Me too.

Depends...but it thins the blood right???

islandsox
November 30th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Well, my feet swell up when I drink too much rum, does this count? And then I have paddles for feet instead of feet so I swim better. My shoulder feels better when I drink, does this count, too?

Where's our cardiologist, maybe he can answer this as he has more contacts in the medical field than me.

Donna

The Fortress
November 30th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Donna:

My shoulder always feels better after a glass of wine or two.:banana:

Doesn't the sugar in rum reduce inflammation? Isn't that what prolotherapy is? You get "sugar shots" to grow muscle tissue and reduce inflammation.

poolraat
November 30th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I've always thought :drink: was for electrolyte replacement and carbo loading.

islandsox
November 30th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Well, Golllleeee, Fortress, that is the most sound science I have heard about drinking rum and inflammation. Maybe this is why my shoulder isn't bothering me now that I am starting from ground zero on my training toward a very long ocean swim. I haven't heard of this, but I sure do like your answer.

And Poolrat, maybe there are actually electrolyes in our drinks after all. Wouldn't that go against all protocol.

Of course, we know that there are people probably cringing at our talking about our drinking and being swimmers, but hey, one can't argue with success.

Donna

The Fortress
November 30th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Just don't be calling me a "guru," DB. And, thanks to my PM failure, everyone knows I'm not a doctor. Maybe I'm married to one? Not an orthopod, of course. Then I would really have married well. :rofl: But, really now, when my husband rowed crew in college, he said the whole team drank beer and justified it as being loaded with carbs. Of course, we are older now and should act with more decorum and civility ....

poolraat
December 1st, 2006, 12:16 AM
Of course, we are older now and should act with more decorum and ....

Really? Why?

SwimStud
December 1st, 2006, 09:27 AM
I'm knocking back a few shots of scotch at night to try to kill off the stomach virus (before it startson me) that my kids brought home...

So far so good...but perhaps it's just the placebo effect...

...who cares... Bottoms Up!! :)

The Fortress
December 1st, 2006, 11:23 AM
Really? Why?

So we don't get kicked off the forum like scyfreestyler!!:rofl:

Or get scolded for hijacking a thread or going off topic. So, does alcohol cause inflammation?

wrybosome
December 1st, 2006, 08:00 PM
Or get scolded for hijacking a thread or going off topic.

*wags finger dissaprovingly*

The Fortress
December 1st, 2006, 08:24 PM
*wags finger dissaprovingly*

Hey you, newbie guy. I posted a poll to try to get off your thread. I should get points for trying. Meanwhile, I notice you failed to say a single thing about the assigned topic of ... "alcohol." :thhbbb: Maybe it's "inflaming" that bicep tendon? ;) Hope you're curling a few while you're resting up. :drink:

wrybosome
December 1st, 2006, 08:35 PM
My new main set for next few weeks:

2 x 200mg ibuprofen
1 x gin and tonic

Repeat till sleepy

The Fortress
December 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
I just had an interesting conversation at a swim meet. I was told that a local college/masters coach recommends 48 hours of constant NSAIs every 4-6 hours (or whatever the directions say) to zap inflammation quickly. I was also told that NSAIs do not mix well with alcohol and that the combo could hurt your liver/kidneys. :eek: Still haven't heard whether alcohol itself causes inflammation. Where is Gull?

islandsox
December 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
Fortress,

I heard that too about the NSAIs. And what do you mean hurt our livers? Alcohol doesn't do that? It needs help from NSAIs?

DB

The Fortress
December 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
I was just told some scarey story about someone loading up on NSAIs and having to have dialysis. Ugh.

some_girl
December 2nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
I believe it is because your liver processes both, so combining them can overstress your body. Then again, the caution on the bottle is no more than three drinks per day, so I don't think one will kill you.

wrybosome
December 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
I work in the pharma industry and my understanding is that acetaminophen can cause liver damage if you are drinking more than a couple of drinks. All the other NSAIDs carry a risk of stomach bleeding that goes up when you drink. Strangely, acetaminophen is fatal to cats.

That's why I take ibuprofen with my G&T.

jaegermeister
December 29th, 2006, 11:04 PM

I'm a bit late to the party, but thought I'd resurrect this thread and a shot at this question.
CC, if you're asking for a general answer, I think the best response is simply no. Alcohol does a lot of things, and of course the amount and speed at which you consume it can have a huge effect on the end result. But assuming that you are consuming modest amounts (less than 3-4 drinks at a sitting) you aren't going to worsen inflammation in the musculoskeletal system.
I am not a physiologist (I'm a general internist) so if you want a very specific logical argument I can't give it to you. What I've laid out is pretty much common sense.
For most of us with healthy kidneys and livers, it is going to be very uncommon to experience significant side effects from tylenol or NSAID's. That is, if you take them in recommended doses. You can put yourself at risk from NSAID's if you are severly dehydrated and then take a stiff dose. And you can easily kill your liver with tylenol- if you take about 10-20 grams at once.
BTW, the labeled doses for ibuprofen and Alleve are very cautious- if I ever really need help I double the recommended dose.
So since our beverages aren't going to aggravate our shoulder symptoms, lets have some fun this weekend!

The Fortress
December 29th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I'm a bit late to the party, but thought I'd resurrect this thread and a shot at this question.
CC, if you're asking for a general answer, I think the best response is simply no. Alcohol does a lot of things, and of course the amount and speed at which you consume it can have a huge effect on the end result. But assuming that you are consuming modest amounts (less than 3-4 drinks at a sitting) you aren't going to worsen inflammation in the musculoskeletal system.
I am not a physiologist (I'm a general internist) so if you want a very specific logical argument I can't give it to you. What I've laid out is pretty much common sense.
For most of us with healthy kidneys and livers, it is going to be very uncommon to experience significant side effects from tylenol or NSAID's. That is, if you take them in recommended doses. You can put yourself at risk from NSAID's if you are severly dehydrated and then take a stiff dose. And you can easily kill your liver with tylenol- if you take about 10-20 grams at once.
BTW, the labeled doses for ibuprofen and Alleve are very cautious- if I ever really need help I double the recommended dose.
So since our beverages aren't going to aggravate our shoulder symptoms, lets have some fun this weekend!

All I have to say is, thank god!! :drink: As I sit here sipping my wine and reading posts because everyone else is getting their recommended dose of sleep. It's good to have another doc on the forum. We all seem in constant need of advice.

Now, another interesting question is: how many posts on this forum have been written under the influence?:rofl:

Peter Cruise
December 29th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Leslie- all too many, I'm afraid. Hoppy New Year (hic!).

Muppet
December 30th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I swim with a gentleman who had several beverages of Irish descent the night before SCM zones, then came out and won the 1500 the next morning and went on to have the meet of his life.

beer = carboload. I am known to have a beverage mid-nationals (though I do usually go dry for a while every spring) - especially if there is a Rock Bottom around ;)

The Fortress
December 30th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I swim with a gentleman who had several beverages of Irish descent the night before SCM zones, then came out and won the 1500 the next morning and went on to have the meet of his life.

beer = carboload. I am known to have a beverage mid-nationals (though I do usually go dry for a while every spring) - especially if there is a Rock Bottom around ;)

I know many, including myself, who may partake prior to or during competition. I don't think a little carbo loading will hurt anyone. I guess Muppet is the second one (after Cruise) to admit to inebriated posting. Rich better fess up too cuz I know he "hat too much sake" one night.... He, he, he.

:dedhorse: :dedhorse: :banana: :banana: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :banana: :banana:

SwimStud
December 30th, 2006, 02:16 PM
. Rich better fess up too cuz I know he "hat too much sake" one night.... He, he, he.

Yah I was rolling that night...
With amateur night ahead tomorrow, I will be hoping that the mild food poisoning has left my system.

I have decided to nix training today; partly for R&R and party due to the embarassing rash that has appeared beneath my armpits, chest and around my neck...yeah slip all that blotchy man flesh into a pair of speedos and I'll have all 6 lanes to myself! :shakeshead:

PS Good new about the rash is that it confirms poisoning rather than virus. I don't need my kids and Mrs JB getting sick.

(Maybe I should cross ref this post to the blow chow thread?)