PDA

View Full Version : creepy?

wrybosome
December 2nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
I notice on the peeves about swimming thread there were several about creepy guys who watch the swimmers.

Whenever I finish a workout I usually stop and watch the other swimmers for a few minutes. I like to see what makes the good swimmers good and the poor ones bad.

It's helpful to me, hope others don't find it creepy. It's intimidating to approach the better swimmers so I just try to see what they're doing.

anita
December 2nd, 2006, 05:13 PM
As long as you're not laying on the bottom of the pool while facing up as I swim over you like the teenaged boys used to do, I don't care.

wrybosome
December 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
That was you?? Sorry.

islandsox
December 2nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
As George Haines and Don Easterling used to say:

if you want to learn to swim correct and fast, watch a correct and fast swimmer.

I don't find it creepy, I think it is admiration.

Unless I find one in the ladies changing room.

Donna

dorianblade
December 2nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
As long as you're not laying on the bottom of the pool while facing up as I swim over you like the teenaged boys used to do, I don't care.

I prefer to watch from the side :laugh2:

scyfreestyler
December 3rd, 2006, 12:02 AM
Everybody has the right to be offended so I would not worry about it. As long as your intentions are not out of line then who cares what they might think. I have had some underwater spectators before and more often than not they are watching just the turns. No big deal.

wrybosome
December 3rd, 2006, 12:29 AM
I have had some underwater spectators before and more often than not they are watching just the turns. No big deal.

Yeah I've done that too

dorothyrde
December 3rd, 2006, 07:54 AM
There is a difference in how someone is watching for technique, and someone is being "creepy". It is hard to explain. If I am watching for technique, I usually try to watch as I am swimming so it is not as obvious. Someone worth watching is usually passing me quite often, so easy to do!

SwimStud
December 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
So when I am watching a good swimmer for reference, my smiling and winking might be misconstrued?? j/k

I do watch other swimmers if I think they are moving well and easily but I tend to be a bit wary of looking at the women. Maybe saying a few words at their interval to tell them you're watching their style or ask a question is a good idea.

Granted this may still come off like you're "hitting on them" butat least it might make them think that you're normal--not the "slient creepy staring guy."
I'd like to get the ladies point of view on that.

I guess nobody minds being briefly "checked out" (we all have egos) but being ogled and leered at is different---esecially for women. I did get annoyed though when the "T-back thong girl" turned up one day...that has no place at the YMCA, and I am no prude by any stretch.

dorianblade
December 3rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
I do watch other swimmers if I think they are moving well and easily but I tend to be a bit wary of looking at the women. Maybe saying a few words at their interval to tell them you're watching their style or ask a question is a good idea.

Granted this may still come off like you're "hitting on them" but it's at least it make them think that you're normal just the "slient creepy staring guy."
I'd like to get the ladies point of view on that.

I guess nobody minds being briefly "checked out" (we all have egos) but being ogled and leered at is different---esecially for women. I did get annoyed though when the "T-back thong girl" turned up one day...that has no place at the YMCA, and I am no prude by any stretch.

hehe. this reminds me of an SNL sketch where a "weird" looking guy tried to ask a woman at work out and got slapped with a SH suit, but when the good looking guy at the office acted as an ******* he got the two women in the office to go with him.

I have the problem whenever i look at women doing laps and they notice they end up coming to ME! :shakeshead:

dorothyrde
December 3rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Rich, I think if you stopped and asked, or commented on someone's nice form, they would understand you are watching to learn, not to ogle. Really, I don't see much of a problem at our Y, everyone comes to get their work-out in and get back to their business and are in their own little worlds. Of course, I am probably past an age anyone wants to ogle anyway!:shakeshead:

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 3rd, 2006, 01:23 PM
There is a difference in how someone is watching for technique, and someone is being "creepy". It is hard to explain. If I am watching for technique, I usually try to watch as I am swimming so it is not as obvious. Someone worth watching is usually passing me quite often, so easy to do!

dorothy,

I don't know how much experience you have at the indoor aquactic centef in Urbana but what really creeps me out is when women stick their heads into the men's changing room calling out the nam of some little boy they are trying to find and don't understand that there are men standing there changing. The changing rooms at that placea re the most poorly designed changing rooms inthe world. I always tell women to not use the restroom facitlities. They might as well be out on the pool deck.

According to my good source january 16ht is the date. I can't wait. despite all f the bad things about the design of the pool, it is a good pool to swim in.

Craig:frustrated: