PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a peaceful pool to practice?

Alphathree
December 4th, 2006, 11:00 AM
At the pool where I swim, during "public swim" times, it's always people doing laps... non-stop... laps.

The swim across, then they swim back, then across, then back, then across, then back...

And that's great. But it's really intimidating for a beginner swimmer like me who wants time to do some of that TI "mindful practice" and not just powering through the water until I can't walk anymore.

But I don't want to interrupt their workouts with "hey, can I have this lane to just screw around and swim slowly?"

Are peaceful pools a luxury only people who own their own pool ever get? Am I stuck swimming with "lappers" until I own my own house and pool one day?

scyfreestyler
December 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Ask the manager when the slowest time of day is...come back then.

scwids
December 5th, 2006, 04:08 AM
I am lucky enough to work an "off shift" (12-8pm), so I tend to swim at "off" times (i.e. not crack of dawn or right after the work rush lets out around 5 pm). Sometimes when I am swimming at around 9:30 in the morning, I have the whole POOL to myself!!! :wiggle:

dorothyrde
December 5th, 2006, 06:21 AM
I agree with Matt, there probably is some slow time. I am stalling right now because I want to time my swim after the 5 am group leaves. Also, most pools have a division of lanes, slow, medium, fast. If they follow that, then pick the slow lane.

Another thought, if you stay in your own lane and don't wander, most lap swimmers don't care what you are doing, they are in their own zone. So get in and do your drills, and don't worry about them.

waves101
December 5th, 2006, 08:46 AM
We have lap swimmers and workout swimmers all sharing the pool at the same time. Most of the time there is not enough room to have a lane to yourself so we'll share and just takes sides of a lane. While this works best to have workout swimmers with other workout swimmers, sometimes we have to co-mingle. Usually it doesn't bother the lap swimmers. As far as being intimidated, don't be. Most often, I find, the lap swimmers are more intimidated by the workout swimmers. The lap swimmers plod along and that's what works for them but in the long run the workout swimmers have a higher level of fitness. Just do your own thing and don't worry about them (unless they speak up).