PDA

View Full Version : Any flip turn ideas avoiding upper abdominal compression?

sdswimmer
December 4th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I thought I was unique but now see a thread on post abdominal surgery swimming so maybe someone has ideas for me?

I have a serious amount of scar tissue under my lower right ribs and through upper rt abdominals on that side. I can swim fine (20+ miles no problem) but I can't complete many flip turns without pain. The pain comes from (in my own personal opnion) compression of my ribs against the scar tissue when I bend over then pushing off from that position. I used to flip "leading" right, I tired leading left and its slightly better. I learned my turns in the 80's so they are probably "old school"

Anyway, I'd love to do some more serious masters swims in the pool but doign open turns is really screwing me up!

Any non-invasive suggestions welcome (the surgeon reccomends removing a few ribs-who needs 'em anyway).

Warren
December 4th, 2006, 05:48 PM
touch the wall with one hand, spin, and push off. Thats the fastest way without a flip turn.

SolarEnergy
December 4th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I thought I was unique but now see a thread on post abdominal surgery swimming so maybe someone has ideas for me?

I have a serious amount of scar tissue under my lower right ribs and through upper rt abdominals on that side. I can swim fine (20+ miles no problem) but I can't complete many flip turns without pain. I have no specific suggestion unfortunately, but I'd say slow them down. That is a first step that may help you finding different less painful ways. Technically, making the change will be easier if you flip slowly. At least I think..