PDA

View Full Version : Stroke distance - help needed

dorianblade
December 6th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I've been trying and trying and all i can do is about 20 strokes on a 25yd lap alt. breathing every 1.5 cycles without completely losing my momentum.

I was noticing a swimmer next to me.. she was thrusting forward while taking long breaths and i was in awe. when i take a breather all i can think of is you better start to push or you'll sink. I know body roll, good leg work, slow catch and power pull will help but is this something that regardless of effort just take a long time to learn?

etrain
December 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Try the catch-up drill, this will help with stroke distance and timing as well.

etrain

okoban
December 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I used to take 20 strokes per 25 meters too. Thanks to the drills I learned from the book 'fitness swimming' by Emmett Hines, now I reduced it to 16. I don't think that you can apply what you see from the other swimmers without applying the right drills. But beleive me it took 6 months of effort to improve my style. I can say that the key word is 'hip rotation'. The better you rotate your hips, the better you swim.

poolraat
December 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM
There are a lot of drills that will help. I improved my SPL from mid 20's to around 16-17. If you can, have someone, a coach or swimmer, show you how to do the drills. I see a lot of swimmers here (mostly triathletes) doing drills incorrectly and not really benefitting from them.