PDA

View Full Version : TUMS - Is this pill really working

Superfly
December 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Hi all!
Per from Stockholm, Sweden here...writing my first post in this forum :)

I read an article at www.breaststroke.info (http://www.breaststroke.info) (can't open that page now for some strange reason) recently reg preventing lactic acid (article pasted below)

Anyone know if this pill "TUMS" is really working?

Thx!
/Per
-------------------------------------------

BUFFER THE PAIN AWAY
For over ten years I have used a little known technique called buffering to improve my race times. Buffering relieves the pain of lactic acid in my muscles during the last fifty of the 200 breaststroke and butterfly events. The reason why your arms and legs burn and fail to respond properly is that your blood pH gets too acidic, this due to anaerobic swimming during the race. The day of your race you should never consume acidic drinks such as colas, orange juice, etc., that when absorbed would lower the blood pH.
I then use flavored TUMS to not only calm my upset stomach, but to buffer the acid formed in my muscles during my races. Many studies have been made on runners, swimmers, and cyclists using sodium bicarbonate to buffer the blood. All the studies have come to the same conclusions that improvements in performance occur between 30 seconds to three minutes. This happens to fall in the range of my 50, 100, and 200 races. Unfortunately the sodium bicarbonate sometimes causes severe gastric distress, from belching to stomach bloating. The East Germans used this for their swimmers who could tolerate it.
I have found that TUMS (calcium carbonate) works almost as well, without the gastric problems. I start taking the first of the 40 TUMS about 90 minutes before important 200 races, finishing up the last ones 20 minutes before the race. Of course I drink lots of water to hydrate myself while taking the tums. When I use TUMS, at the end of the race my arms and legs do not have the pain from lactic acid nearly as much. There is usually at least one to two seconds' improvements in my race times. This is consistent with the values in the research studies.
I would recommend taking three TUMS 25-35 minutes before a race to see how your body responds, then working upwards from there. The studies recommend 180mg of calcium carbonate per pound of body weight. Each TUMS contains 500mg of carbonate. Therefore a 100 pound woman should take 36 TUMS and a 150 pound man would take 54 TUMS. I weigh 190 pounds and found 40 TUMS works for me. You can start at a mid level and work up from there. After a hard workout that produces a lot of lactic acid (either weights or swimming), take 1-3 TUMS and you will be not as sore the next day. In addition each TUMS contains 200mg of Calcium, something both men and women need as we get older to prevent osteoporosis.

Justin
December 6th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Don't OD. One of the symptoms is coma.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002605.htm

swimr4life
December 6th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I can't imagine that taking that many Tums could be good for you!! Gull....wouldn't this be dangerous for causing heart arrhythmias? and all kinds of other problems in the body?

CreamPuff
December 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I was with you until you threw out the dosage.
Everything in moderation I say.
That is not moderation. I was thinking you were going to say take two.

wrybosome
December 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM
40+ Tums is a crazy amount of antacid, and it's possible to OD on Tums although I don't know at how high a dose. Don't do it.

Your blood is already a buffer anyway, using carbonic acid and hydrogen carbonate. You're not helping it by throwing more carbonate into the blood stream. I can't remember the details offhand but your body is going to respond by altering your heart rate and respiration, and I think by depressing them since you'll be scavenging carbonic acid from your blood. Not really what you want when you're in oxygen debt anyway.

Superfly
December 8th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Just to clarify...it was not me suggesting this pill and in those quantities. The article comes from this webpage: www.breaststroke.info (http://www.breaststroke.info) . Anyone know who this guy is in the US? He states that he is well known with some good results...especially in masters. Would be interesting to know if I should disregard all the other articles he has written as well.

And oh...another thing. How do I upload my personal avatar? I can only find boring standard ones (like the one I have now of Homer Simpson).

Thx!
/Per

aquageek
December 8th, 2006, 08:45 AM
I've considered taking 40 Tums the morning after a few Holiday parties here lately.

Frank Thompson
December 8th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Just to clarify...it was not me suggesting this pill and in those quantities. The article comes from this webpage: www.breaststroke.info (http://www.breaststroke.info) . Anyone know who this guy is in the US? He states that he is well known with some good results...especially in masters. Would be interesting to know if I should disregard all the other articles he has written as well.

Thx!
/Per

Superfly:

Most members here know of this guy as Breastroker because that is the name he goes by as a member of the USMS Discussion forum. I would send a Personal Message to him with your questions. Or better yet, you probably won't have to do anything because he is a very active member here and I am sure when he see this, he will respond to you with his explanations.

Allen Stark
December 9th, 2006, 05:51 PM
His name is Wayne McCauly. Wayne is a great guy who likes to have ideas at the cutting edge of our knowlege. Sometimes he is ahead of everyone sometimes I'm afraid he is over the edge. I think this is one of the "over the edge"ideas.Wayne also thinks you should swim the 50 Breaststroke without breathing,which I also don't agree with. I will say that when we disagree he has been proven right more often than not. He is a frequent poster and I'm sure will chime in soon.

Superfly
December 11th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Cool,
Thx all for your feedback. I will cross my fingers then and wait for Mr Breastroker to comment on this one then.
BR
Per