PDA

View Full Version : Need advice. Back to back events.

USMSarah
December 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Hi!

I was just wondering - what all do you guys do when you have back to back events? This weekend - I have the 200 IM and 100 Back seperated by only two heats. What advice do you have to offer... I know my butt is going straight into the warm down lane, but any thoughts?
:help:
Thanks,
Sarah

FlyQueen
December 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM
That's a rough back to back, fortunately the harder event (at least I think) is first. I'm not going to tell you to back off of the 200IM because I know I wouldn't be able to. I would ask the official if you can have extra time, sometimes they let you. Then I would swim the 200IM how you think best, get out do a 100 easy (maybe double arm back) and then get ready for the 100 back.

On the IM I would try and minimize the kick on all four strokes (or at least of fly, back, and free) to try and save your legs a bit for the 100. Your legs and lungs are probably going to be more tired than your arms ... good luck let us know how it goes!

ande
December 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM
if it's a small meet
ask the meet director to provide a 5 or 10 minute break between the events so you can rest and recover a little, there may be other people in the same situation

the sensible thing to do is to ditch one of the events and focus on the one you prefer

ande

Hi!
I was just wondering - what all do you guys do when you have back to back events? This weekend - I have the 200 IM and 100 Back seperated by only two heats. What advice do you have to offer... I know my butt is going straight into the warm down lane, but any thoughts?
:help:
Thanks,
Sarah

The Fortress
December 7th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Sarah:

I think it's very hard to do. I agree with Ande that you might consider ditching one. You need oxygen for SDKs and fresh legs to do that 100 back. I swam a back to back in October. It was MUCH easier: 100 IM and 50 back. But I just wasn't recovered enough even after hitting the warm down pool. Now, I'm probably a lot older than you, but I like 30 minutes between events. Two heats? Sub-par times... You have to decide if it's a training meet or if you want some great times. Great times or PBs require rest and focus. The meet I was at last weekend many people seemed to be gunning for some great times. They only swam 1-2 events a day. But maybe you're more like Michael Phelps or Libby Lenton. Good luck!!

USMSarah
December 7th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Thank you so much for your input everyone! I guess I would consider this a training meet. I'm going to see how my fly feels (shoulder probs :blah:) in the 100 IM earlier in the meet - and then decide. 100 Back is my best event - but I am really looking forward to doing the 200 IM... I am completely back and forth on this one. If I feel like superwoman that day, I may do both... and use Heather's advice. I used to be a 400IMer, so maybe I'll have some juice leftover!:eek:

Thanks again! :wave:

FlyQueen
December 7th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Thank you so much for your input everyone! I guess I would consider this a training meet. I'm going to see how my fly feels (shoulder probs :blah:) in the 100 IM earlier in the meet - and then decide. 100 Back is my best event - but I am really looking forward to doing the 200 IM... I am completely back and forth on this one. If I feel like superwoman that day, I may do both... and use Heather's advice. I used to be a 400IMer, so maybe I'll have some juice leftover!:eek:

Thanks again! :wave:

If you are using it as a training meet then just do the best you can. It'll hurt, for sure. I remember Kaitlin Sandeno saying that Bob Bowman told her the best way to get faster, in shape, better, etc. was to race.

Good luck!!!

hofffam
December 7th, 2006, 07:37 PM
200 IM is a very tiring race. IMs always leave every muscle tired. So I would truly suffer in a 100 back just a few minutes after the IM.

I don't see how you can truly hope for good results in both races. I like IMs and hate back so I would go for it on the IM and do whatever I could on back.

If I were a backstroker and wanted to do well - I simply would not swim the IM with that little rest. I'd hate to do badly in my favorite event.

USMSarah
December 7th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I don't see how you can truly hope for good results in both races. I like IMs and hate back so I would go for it on the IM and do whatever I could on back.

If I were a backstroker and wanted to do well - I simply would not swim the IM with that little rest. I'd hate to do badly in my favorite event.

I'm honestly not striving for best times at this meet, I like IM's and I like Backstroke. Anyways, I just got back in the pool this past September after being out for over a year (I feel GREAT, btw) - I've been to one SCM meet this season and this meet is SCY (thank GOD).

I'd like to see if I can even survive the 200 IM in the first place (for future meets), plus I've made strong advances in my breaststroke (I was one of those swimmers who swam breast so slow, I went backwards - but now it's a lot better - moving forward)... if my 100 back is a little slower than "normal" - I will obviously know why. I'll be swimming it many times before State - so I am not too worried. If my shoulder feels bad in the 100 IM (earlier in the meet) - I'll scrap the 200.

That's the game plan!:woot:

born2fly
December 7th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Good luck at the meet Sarah, sorry I cant be there. However, as ya know I got a meet against the kiddos. I would concentrate on the event that is your favorite of the two and like others suggested maybe scratch one, unless you can get a break in between events. Since its our local meet, it shouldnt be a problem to ask and get a break.

See ya at practice on Wednesday,

greg

Allen Stark
December 7th, 2006, 10:39 PM
If this is a training meet and you feel OK go for it. I'd plan to swim the 200 IM as best I could,stay in the warm up pool as long as you can and then go for it again in the back. Your time will be off but you can learn about how strong you are and how your stroke feels when tired. Our State Games last year was my last warm up meet before Worlds. I swam the 200 fly as my 3rd event of the day and then swam 100 Breast on a relay 5 min later. I worked on maximizing DPS and keeping within myself until the last 25 when I gave it all I had,which wasn't much. None the less I went much faster than I thought I would,which really helped my confidence heading into worlds. Now if this was your last SCM meet of the year I'd scratch my weaker event to concentrate on the stronger.

knelson
December 7th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I agree with Allen. Don't hold back in the IM. If you do you might end up with times you aren't happy with in both events. The 100 back is going to hurt like hell, but think of it as a character building exercise! Think of it this way: at least in backstroke you get to breathe whenever you want :)

USMSarah
December 8th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I'll ask for a break if I am going to attempt this combo. There is a possibility that people may scratch, and there may only be ONE heat in between... there would be no way in hell I would do this.

When I signed up, I was hoping that more people would be swimming the 200 IM and 100 Back - got the heat sheets yesterday - no such luck. But, I'm gonna do the best that I can. Thank you guys for all of your input - it's given me a lot to think about.

knelson - you put it perfectly - it's a character builder (LOL) and I can breathe the whole time on backstroke.

Allen - good idea - I will stay in the pool the entire time between.

Good luck Greg! I saw where you were seeded - you're awesome! :notworthy: Good luck in your 500 tonight! See ya Wednesday!

FlyQueen
December 8th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I'll ask for a break if I am going to attempt this combo. There is a possibility that people may scratch, and there may only be ONE heat in between... there would be no way in hell I would do this.

When I signed up, I was hoping that more people would be swimming the 200 IM and 100 Back - got the heat sheets yesterday - no such luck. But, I'm gonna do the best that I can. Thank you guys for all of your input - it's given me a lot to think about.

knelson - you put it perfectly - it's a character builder (LOL) and I can breathe the whole time on backstroke.

Allen - good idea - I will stay in the pool the entire time between.

Good luck Greg! I saw where you were seeded - you're awesome! :notworthy: Good luck in your 500 tonight! See ya Wednesday!

Sarah are they taking deck entries?

SwimStud
December 8th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Go get 'em Sarah!
Just keep the belief in yourself. Don't worry about the time between events.
My mindset is that when you've decided on your plan; then disregard all other information, and just keep talking to yourself that you will do this.

USMSarah
December 8th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Sarah are they taking deck entries?

I think so... I'll cross my fingers!

Thanks Rich - I love your enthusiasm! :wave:

quicksilver
December 8th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Ask Greg to enter ...if possible...and see if he could manage to take 10 minutes to finish.

Obviously a bribe of some kind will be necessary. :drink:

Muppet
December 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM
SwimmieAvsFan will view these back-to-back meets as one prolongued Lactic Acid Set... it hurts, but it works awesomely for her...:banana:

Caped Crusader
December 9th, 2006, 10:56 AM
SwimmieAvsFan will view these back-to-back meets as one prolongued Lactic Acid Set... it hurts, but it works awesomely for her...:banana:

But I read she was swimming a zillion times a week with mega yardage. She sounds like a cool chick Muppet. Have you lost that mustache yet?:rofl:

AnnG
December 10th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Use it as a training meet and go for it in both events. you don' need no stinkin' break! Then the next time you face something challenging, in swimming or otherwise, remember that you are tough enough to succeed.

SwimStud
December 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Sarah how did it go? What did you swim in the end?

Muppet
December 10th, 2006, 11:41 PM
But I read she was swimming a zillion times a week with mega yardage. She sounds like a cool chick Muppet. Have you lost that mustache yet?:rofl:

When you swim age group and NCAA, you're used to swimming a zillion times a week and swimming through meets left and right like Sarah - you've been doing it all your life!

When you think about it though, swimming events back to back and all, totally helps out for the biggest meets when you're feeling your legs dying, etc. in that last 15-20% of your race. In-Season race experience with the massive fatigue factor could be a huge mental advantage come Zones/Nationals time...

All fur still here ;)
No Shear Till Nationals! :dedhorse: ;)

The Fortress
December 11th, 2006, 12:22 AM
In-Season race experience with the massive fatigue factor could be a huge mental advantage come Zones/Nationals time...

All fur still here ;)
No Shear Till Nationals! :dedhorse: ;)

You clearly are not a sprinter, Muppet! :yawn: I'm glad all your fur is still there until nationals. You'll be zooming at top speed. OK, I get your random dead horse thing now. I'll do it too. :dedhorse: . I just hope some guy gets it. I notice that Swimr4LIfe uses that a lot lately too. :rofl: I'll have to try it more often. Somehow, I feel the occasion will arise. :rofl:

Sarah: Please report!!

USMSarah
December 11th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Sarah: Please report!!

Hi! A few technicalities got in the way this weekend. I'll just give the whole story. I missed my turn on my 50 back - but came in with a decent time... my goggles came off in my 100 IM (this hasn't happened to me since I was like 13), but I somehow got them back on, filled with water... but came in with a time that is respectable (for me). My fly felt FIERCE, so I said- I'm gonna do the IM and back combo (MAN, was I PSYCHED! And there were now 3 heats in between)... I dove in, my goggles FRIGGIN came off again - I was so upset (irish temper) - that I got out after my streamline off the start (I was in a side lane). Unbelievably, my contacts stayed in the whole time... but I was so mad, I just couldn't swim it without goggles - some may think I should have done it - but oh well. My 100 back was fine - my time was right on for the season.
So, I need to work on some things and maybe move on from my swedes goggles. I had them so tight - it wasn't funny... my start was probably off (however it was fine in warmups, don't know what I was doing wrong). Thank you for asking what happened... I almost didn't want to post anything - a little embarassed and upset about what happened... but it was a training meet for me - so I'll get over it. Very pleased with my breaststroke... and my teammates did awesome as well! Sorry for the novel! Happy swimming! :cool:

The Fortress
December 11th, 2006, 10:04 AM
. I missed my turn on my 50 back - but came in with a decent time... my goggles came off in my 100 IM (this hasn't happened to me since I was like 13), but I somehow got them back on, filled with water... but came in with a time that is respectable (for me). My fly felt FIERCE, so I said- I'm gonna do the IM and back combo (MAN, was I PSYCHED! And there were now 3 heats in between)... I dove in, my goggles FRIGGIN came off again - I was so upset (irish temper) - that I got out after my streamline off the start (I was in a side lane). Unbelievably, my contacts stayed in the whole time... but I was so mad, I just couldn't swim it without goggles - some may think I should have done it - but oh well.

Hey, it sounds like overall things went great. I once had to crawl out of a 100 IM too because I lost my goggles on the start. Fortunately, I was in lane 1. Had to get out, couldn't drive home without them. It's tough to swim a 200 IM with contacts in. Who could do that?! Your 100 back was probably so good because you were steamed! Great job.:groovy::applaud:

USMSarah
December 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah, it's funny how well I do when I'm ticked off.... ha ha! Signing up for the 200IM in my next meet. Take care!:wave:

SwimStud
December 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Thank you for asking what happened... I almost didn't want to post anything - a little embarassed and upset about what happened... but it was a training meet for me - so I'll get over it. Very pleased with my breaststroke... and my teammates did awesome as well! Sorry for the novel! Happy swimming! :cool:

Hey at least your speedos didn't come off on the dive. At least you are doing something and not couch potatoing, right?

USMSarah
December 11th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Hey at least your speedos didn't come off on the dive. At least you are doing something and not couch potatoing, right?

LOL! Yes, things could have been a lot worse! Looking forward to the next meet.