PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for FUN DAY?

Francis Godden
December 8th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Group of 30+ Masters of varying abilities for final swim of year - Christmas in 1hr 15m session.

USMSarah
December 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM
oh you gotta do a t-shirt relay!

poolraat
December 8th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Our kids' team has a fun meet in the summer where they do an IM using dog paddle-elem backstroke-heads up breaststroke-sidestroke.

scyfreestyler
December 8th, 2006, 04:51 PM
1650 underwater swim.

m2tall2
December 8th, 2006, 09:44 PM
My coaches liked to reward us with some good hard water polo. We thought we were having fun but we ended up seriously exhausted from all that sprinting, throwing, lunging, and jumping.

islandsox
December 9th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Oh, I loved the T-shirt relay idea :p and the 1650 underwater swim:help:.

In age group, we used to play water polo with a greased watermelon, twas no easy feat.

Donna

Muppet
December 11th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Water Polo definetely - you end up getting a kick-arse leg workout w/o even knowing it until you try to walk up the stairs after practice!

born2fly
December 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Not a workout idea but fun break during practice. I remember my high school coach making us sing the 12 Days of Christmas. Lane 1 would be first then up to lane 6 or whatever. Then when the song went backwards when your day (lane) came up you said whatever it was.

A fun but also good workout is golf relays. You have your personal best 50 time, lets say 23.0 for the 50 free. If you are 23.5 or under that is a birdie. 23.6 to 24.0 is par, anything over 24 is a bogie. Make up your relays and do your 50's, doing all free, doing IM order or whatever you want. Go thru 18 rounds. Team that has lowest score wins. The incentive we had was that the loosing teams got hammered with a hard set afterwards, while the winning team got to go down the slide.

greg

blainesapprentice
December 11th, 2006, 03:32 PM
i LOVE stop watch practices...where u make a paper with little mini fun sets for each number .00 (always a get out!) -.99 and have lane members tell the coach when to start and stop the stopwatch. whatever the last two digits are...you just swim whatever it says to swim under that #. You can make certain numbers be like get a lollipop, or tread water, or 10minute stretch. And other fun things, as well as some sets (but dont make them too hard! esp. if your using this as you holiday reward set!:-D)

CreamPuff
December 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Not sure if this is possible for you guys, but our Masters team is doing a mini fun meet (sprints and relays with food afterwards) against one of the high school teams that swims at the same time as us. So, you may want to do a fun meet (intra squad - divide the masters group into a couple of teams; or against a club group or high school team).

SwimStud
December 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM
An aquatic version of the egg and spoon race is fun too...

CreamPuff
December 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Richjb, you've earned "Best Avatar" in my book!
Looks like Santa had some work done. . .
:rofl:

SwimStud
December 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Richjb, you've earned "Best Avatar" in my book!
Looks like Santa had some work done. . .
:rofl:

C'mon we're all about the same age...we all tried to swim the length of the pool underwater doing fly kick only...I would have killed for a pair of yellow trunks with a black stripe!

Hey how did ur meet go with your sinus issue?

CreamPuff
December 12th, 2006, 04:15 PM
C'mon we're all about the same age...we all tried to swim the length of the pool underwater doing fly kick only...I would have killed for a pair of yellow trunks with a black stripe!

Hey how did ur meet go with your sinus issue?

Thanks for asking about the meet!

Well, we did have a bit of a surprise @ the St. Nicks Meet.

Upon arrival I found that the meet was now SCY instead of SCM as planned.
Upon measuring the pool, it turns out that it was half an inch short. The bulkhead would not cooperate (being rusted) so the decision was made to do SCY. Oh well. This is my second meet in a row in which any top 10s would be thrown out or would not count (1st meet was Auburn earlier this year b/c the pool was not measured period; this meet for SCM; however, any top 10 times will count for SCY).

Well, it's true Speedo won't be knocking at my door regardless, so I'm over it.
I know the officials did the best that they could! :rofl: :rofl:

Day 1 - Right near my best times as a masters for 50 free (25.3) .3 off / 100 IM 1:03.xx and about 1 second off/ and 50 breast 33.xx - about .7 off.

Day 2 - Off a bit more (feeling tired); 3 seconds off my 200 IM time - need to be totally well for that!! I can fake 50s and 100s VERY WELL but not the 200s. And .8 off my 50 fly time at 28.01 from my best of 27.2 (had 8 mintues between IM and 50 fly - I was sucking wind the first lap of the 50 fly which NEVER happens, but I was not properly warmed down from IM); 3 seconds off my 100 fly time and went 1:03 -BUT it felt good! Wore a drag suit this day.

2nd in the reindeer relay! I think I actually lost if for my relay! ACK! Not used to that. :frustrated:

What I noticed about being sick/ recovering from sickness - my desire to really race was almost gone - there was less desire and too much concentration on symptoms and how I felt. Need to work on that!

All that being said, Momma will take what she can get! :wiggle: :wiggle:

I enjoyed a huge steak dinner with :drink: :drink: two jack and diet cokes and an ice cream sunday on Saturday. It was HEAVEN!!!

It was awesome meeting and swimming next to Nadine Day for the whole meet. She's a very inspirational swimmer.
I think I'm going to work towards LC Nationals.

LOVE the SHORTS! HOT! ;)

FlyQueen
December 12th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I get to swim with Nadine frequently ... well I get to watch her swim after I'm done at least ... she is awesome!

Great job though you swam well for being sick ... I'm impressed ... I'm working towards similar times, but not really that close, yet ... I think I'm one of the youngest ones on here (in the 25-29 group for the second year) ... anyway ... congrats on the times!