PDA

View Full Version : My Swim Video

Concho Pearl
December 10th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I thought I would post my video for some advice... Thanks

If you min. your screen the video looks better, very grannie full screen.

It's was just an easy swim, nothing fancy.
Intresting thought, I've never seen my self swim before.
Looks like I need to stretch out my arms farther, looks like I'm cutting the pull off to short.- yes???

Counting 18 strokes per 25yds. Can't tell the kick count.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5670966052605512009

islandsox
December 11th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Concho Pearl,

I loved your video. You look so comfortable and I think your swimming looks pretty fine. Smooth and body-balanced. Where in West Texas? I grew up in Abilene.

Donna

Concho Pearl
December 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I'm in San Angelo, very close to
Abliene. Graduated from Central High in 1980.

scyfreestyler
December 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I think your head could stand to be a bit lower which would bring your legs up a bit more, reducing drag. That's my .02, FWIW.

knelson
December 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I think your stroke looks great! Lots of body roll and really smooth. My only suggestion is to lower your head a little. You should be looking more at the bottom of the pool.

edit: looks like me and scy posted at just about the same time. I concur with his assessment ;)

m2tall2
December 11th, 2006, 01:54 PM
It's a little hard to tell from the video exactly what you are up to because the angle is funny.

It does seem like you are shortening up your stroke too much when you're coming in and out of the turn at the close wall. However, I'm not sure if it is consistent because it seems as though, from this angle, you are coming as close as possible pulling all the way through heading out.

I have a theory, and I wonder if some of the coaches on this board agree with me. I think you're shortening up your stroke coming into the walls because you don't quite have good timing down on when you should be starting your turn at the pace you are going. It seems like at the other end you actually pause, lift your head to view the wall, and then turn. I think we all do this to some extent and maybe it's just the easy pace exaggerating it. Perhaps someone else can suggest some drills other than stroke counts to help with this wall-phobia.

Another thing that I'm not sure if you are actually doing, or if it's just the video angle: it seems like you are crossing the center of your body at the top of your pull. For me, catch-up drill and fingertip drill helps with this problem. I hope someone more experienced can comment.

Otherwise, congratulations! :applaud: That's a nice pace for what you called an easy swim. And kudos for feeding your video to the piranas. :) (j/k) You should hopefully get some good, more experienced advice than my own.

m2tall2
December 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I have a theory, and I wonder if some of the coaches on this board agree with me. I think you're shortening up your stroke coming into the walls because you don't quite have good timing down on when you should be starting your turn at the pace you are going. It seems like at the other end you actually pause, lift your head to view the wall, and then turn. I think we all do this to some extent and maybe it's just the easy pace exaggerating it. Perhaps someone else can suggest some drills other than stroke counts to help with this wall-phobia.

I think on looking at the video again I retract this part. I don't think it's a turn issue. Again, maybe someone more experienced will have a better take on it. But I do think you are shortening up your stroke, although inconsistently.

okoban
December 11th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Hi, I liked your style, you are really fast.
I am not a coach, so don't take my critics seriously
Your flip turn is very good, but you can add 1-2 dolphin kicks on it
your strokes are relaxed although your pace is fast (21-22sec. per length)
(I prefer vertical forearm stroke which is very different than yours, but my stroke rate is slower than yours)
your head position seems a bit hi and you raise your head even higher while breathing
you can stretch your strokes a bit more (it will give you a lower stroke count, but reduce your stroke rate):applaud:
Enjoy your swim, thanks for sharing the video

valhallan
December 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Your stroke looks very nice. It's clean.... smooth and quiet.

I would work on trying to extend your reach ....very slightly....so you drop the stoke count by around two less per length. You were 18 down and 19 back. Ideally this could be around 16 on average. (I take 11 for free and 9 for back)

And if you were one of my age group kids...I'd ask you to streamline off of the walls. Lock the hands (hand over hand) and squeeze your ears with your arms. This alone will get you a reduction on the stroke count. (It takes time to make this a permanent habit)

Thanks...and hope you don't mind the honest critique.

Allen Stark
December 11th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Looks good.I agree with the other suggestions. I notice you are crossing over too far with your right arm entry. Your left arm entry is much better. You also pause to turn over on the turn. Your turn looks great and then you get hung up a little on the wall. Just bounce off the wall and turn while you are pushing off and after,and then go at least to the flags before you break the surface.

Sam Perry
December 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I'm in San Angelo, very close to
Abliene. Graduated from Central High in 1980.

I grew up in Midland, graduated from Midland High in 1987. Still swim there when I go home to visit my parents. Nice to see some West Texans around these parts.

Concho Pearl
December 11th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the feed back, keep it coming.

I agree I do have a bad habit of looking up, trying to break it.
And I do sometimes lift my head when aproaching the wall. I think it's because I want to make sure I'm not not close or to far away. Very bad eye sight, I don't wear my contacts swimming because I can't afford to loose them.

This evening I worked on keeping my head down, using more of the lane markers to help me judge wall distance, and only looking forward with my eyes not raising my head when coming into the wall. And trying to remember to keep my arms streched out. I think it's just little tweeks. But those tweeks can also make or break you.

After 6 months of practice I have my first meet next Thursday. I'm excited and scared. My old HS coach is hosting a Alumni meet, it's just for fun, so I figure why not. He's even letting me come in this week to work on starts etc. I think that's so cool, because the 'Y' doesn't let us dive. - Although you can if the right lifegaurd is working : )

I've tried getting my stroke count down, - question - is that possible at 5' 3"

Allen Stark
December 11th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Yes you can get your SPL lower by exteding a little more on the catch and by going further underwater on the turn. Given how strong your stroke looks I think 15-16 SPL is reasonable,maybe even fewer. Good Luck at the meet.

The Fortress
December 12th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Yes you can get your SPL lower by exteding a little more on the catch and by going further underwater on the turn. Given how strong your stroke looks I think 15-16 SPL is reasonable,maybe even fewer. Good Luck at the meet.

That stroke looked so nice, I think she can does fewer SPL too. Way to go Concho Pearl, and training all on your own.! :applaud: But I think scy frestyler said that SPL ain't everything. There is SR too. Should your feet be a smidgeon further apart when you hit the wall on your flip turn? I may have to watch the video again. You are very brave to post a video. Commendable! Keep up the nice work.

islandsox
December 12th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Hi San Angelo, it's ex-Abilene here. I know I didn't comment too much on your video except to say that you do swim smoothly and we all know this is a very good thing.

Stroke per length can usually be reduced to a point and I would shoot for that some. I do think your right arm crosses centerline slightly as it is going from the recovery to the pull portion. And I also didn't see any bubbles coming from your hands which is a very good thing.

The turn thing can get tricky. When I was learning where exactly to start the turn, both swimming slow and faster, I also lifted my head slightly "to look" just to make "certain." But after learning this, now my last pulldown stroke with both arms at my side are before the Cross at the end of the pool. I glide for a mili-second and commit to the turn. You may actually be turning too close to the wall and need to start it just a tad earlier. Nothing any worse than turning too short and your thighs are scratching your nose!!! Except to miss it entirely but I think more people are too close to the wall than far away from it.

But do streamline more off the turn, it will help. Many great suggestions here from many people.

Donna

Muppet
December 13th, 2006, 12:29 AM

Nice idea for a post, btw! I like the video idea!

The "Stroke Rate vs Stroke Length" thread is getting some hits about that. You've got a nice-looking stroke that I wouldn't mess around with all that much if I were you. But you may be able to knock out a stroke or two just by trying to reach out a tad more and working on a strong kick.

If you really want to drop your stroke count, you can do

massive amounts of ketchup free,
the drill where you hold each armstroke out in front of you for 3 seconds the drill where you try to swim a length with as few strokes as possible

:2cents:

Tree
December 13th, 2006, 02:27 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5670966052605512009

Somehow Google restricts my access to your video from my country. I really wish I could see it so I can learn something. Anyway, nice job!

The Fortress
December 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Good luck at your meet! Meets are fun.

Speaking as one who is 5'4," you could get your stroke count down maybe a little bit, but it looks pretty good to me. You'll need more than a 2 beat kick for that though. Plus, shorter folks tend to have higher SRs. Nothing wrong with that. Ideally, you want to keep your SR constant while working on increasing your SPL. Muppet's right, there's another thread on this.

Muppet: I've seen that freestyle of yours. It's quite pretty. Nice SPL!:applaud: Now, I've never seen your fly or butterfrog, so feel free to provide us with some video coverage.