PDA

View Full Version : Is Swimming Eating Its Parents?

Caped Crusader
December 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Enough about the kids. What about us? Is swimming eating its parents? Are we aging badly because we're always up before dawn driving our kids to swim practice? I know parents who hate swimming. I know parents who are sleeping in their cars during their kids' 4:40 am practices. Is this healthy? Can't we have more evening practices? I know the kids have to double up sometimes, but we may have an epidemic of sleep-deprived grumpy parents. Like me, I did not want to get up this morning. :coffee:

SwimStud
December 13th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Enough about the kids. What about us? Is swimming eating its parents? Are we aging badly because we're always up before dawn driving our kids to swim practice? I know parents who hate swimming. I know parents who are sleeping in their cars during their kids' 4:40 am practices. Is this healthy? Can't we have more evening practices? I know the kids have to double up sometimes, but we may have an epidemic of sleep-deprived grumpy parents. Like me, I did not want to get up this morning. :coffee:

Swimmer mom's > Soccer moms IMHO ;)

waves101
December 13th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Luckily my son is not old enough yet for AM practices. On the other hand, I am so my wife informed me my workouts would be AMs only so we can have dinner as a family. Between that and hunting season I never get any sleep this time of year anyway. I can't even imagine it when I have to cart my son to workouts, too. And even worse, what happens when dad can't keep pace anymore???

The Fortress
December 13th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Swimmer mom's > Soccer moms IMHO ;)

Are you a soccer mom? :rofl:

It is very, very painful, I assure you. Now, you don't have to get up at 4:00 am usually, I'll give you that. But travel soccer is a huge time hog. Tournaments are as long as swim meets and ruin every holiday weekend. At least swim meets are not usually held over holiday weekends, usually. Although they are interfering with my holiday shopping and partying at the moment.

I guess they have those 4:40 am practices so high school kids can get to school on time. But they are hard on both the kids and parents, who are dead as doornails by the end of the day. What bugs me is why they can't have afternoon or evening practices every day and just add on a couple mornings if needed? A lot of USS teams around here have tons of morning practices and fewer evening practices. The afternoon/evening practices seem to be reserved for the developmental kids. And then some coaches/teams make attendance at the morning practice mandatory if you want to go to the evening practice. I guess maybe they can't get enough lane time at night. It's exhausting. :coffee: :snore:

islandsox
December 13th, 2006, 10:21 AM
I'm no help here as I do not have children, just a husband whom I consider "my child" sometimes because after 25 years of marriage, he does what he wants :rofl:.

Is it possible that many swim coaches also have "day jobs" so this is why they insist on early morning practices?

Gee, if I lived in your area, I could be your new best friend and haul your kids around because I am always up at 4:00AM and ready to go. This is because the sun comes up very, very early here and life starts way before 6AM here.

Donna

The Fortress
December 13th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Gee, if I lived in your area, I could be your new best friend and haul your kids around because I am always up at 4:00AM and ready to go. This is because the sun comes up very, very early here and life starts way before 6AM here.
Donna

MOVE RIGHT NOW. PLEASE.

SwimStud
December 13th, 2006, 10:50 AM
MOVE RIGHT NOW. PLEASE.

HEY! I GOT DIBS ON DONNATHE DISTANCE CHICK :wiggle:

The Fortress
December 13th, 2006, 10:55 AM
HEY! I GOT DIBS ON DONNATHE DISTANCE CHICK :wiggle:

But you're a breaststroker, Rich. And I saw that cute picture of you with the wife and kids! And exactly what are you? A dance parent, a swim parent or a soccer parent? Shouldn't you be conversing with us about being eaten by swimming if you're on this thread?

Besides, I have a guest cottage and pool in my backyard (can't you see me jumping in?) where Donna could happily live. Our summer league pool is within walking distance and she could do her 11-13 SPLs there. Of course, it probably can't compete with your outdoor hottub ... Maybe I'll move to CT. :rofl:

poolraat
December 13th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Here we have one practice daily, evenings during the school year and mornings in the summer. My wife is the coach and it's a small, low key program. Since she is the coach, I'm the soccer dad. I get to take my son to practices, games and tournaments, while she and my daughter go to swim meets. I'll be glad when he gets in H.S. Then we'll only have to travel during the fall season. I think kids sports in general are tough on parents because of the time and expense.

SwimStud
December 13th, 2006, 11:17 AM
But you're a breaststroker, Rich. And I saw that cute picture of you with the wife and kids! And exactly what are you? A dance parent, a swim parent or a soccer parent? Shouldn't you be conversing with us about being eaten by swimming if you're on this thread?

Besides, I have a guest cottage and pool in my backyard (can't you see me jumping in?) where Donna could happily live. Our summer league pool is within walking distance and she could do her 11-13 SPLs there. Of course, it probably can't compete with your outdoor hottub ... Maybe I'll move to CT. :rofl:

"If you like Pina Coladas?" LOL

islandsox
December 13th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I lost my Post so again:

Geez, I've never had people fight over my services, EVER; this is a first:rofl:

Donna

nkfrench
December 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM
We had an outdoor Texas meet this summer with 100+ temperatures, no shade, and a horrendous timeline all weekend. We warned our team to take lots of water and swimmer-friendly snacks, take popup shade structures, and a sense of humor and consider getting a hotel room nearby rather than make the 90-minute drive home at 10 pm just to get back there for 7 am warmups.

The parents were in a great mood the next Monday. The kids had swum well and were happy about their new best times. You can always tell how the kids do at a meet - the days afterwards at practice the parents will either be relaxed and joking around (if the kids swam well) or complaining and griping about the team (if the kids didn't swim well).

Our groups that do doubles are mostly kids that are old enough to have a driver's license so their parents don't have to drive them. A few of the kids have obtained hardship licenses to allow them to drive before age 16 if they are mature.

In our club, the kids are from at least a half-dozen different school districts and some drive almost an hour to practice. Some HS kids start classes after 9 am and others well before 8. In order for them to get dressed, get some breakfast and make the drive the practices have to be pretty early to fit in a 2-hour workout. I think the parents that do drive their kids usually have some flex time at work and will work it out so Dad takes them to the pool and heads to work; then Mom picks them up and gets them to school, then goes to work.

Our developmental kids ... some of those 6-year olds will have 7 pm bedtimes and need to finish up early. We also have to wait until after the local high school finishes up their high school training at 4:30 before we can get water time. Even 4:30 is too early as some of the school districts don't finish classes until 4:15 or so. There are lots of scheduling considerations, and the entire team won't fit into our available lanespace during "prime time" when everyone wants to swim.

We've had a few swim moms sleep either in their car or in the spectator area at our pool. One of our former board members even kept a sleeping bag and a pillow stashed away at the pool. Her kid was a national caliber swimmer at age 14 so she was there a lot.

In the summer, we do start later but still have to be out of the pool by 8:30 am so the city can start their lessons programs. And some of the old kids will have summer jobs and need to be able to get to them.

knelson
December 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I don't have kids, but can imagine the day a swimming parent's oldest kid gets his/her driver's license must be a happy day indeed!

poolraat
December 13th, 2006, 04:22 PM
.... the day a swimming parent's oldest kid gets his/her driver's license must be a happy day indeed!

make that 2nd oldest

Definitely was a good day here. Now I don't need to leave work to be taxi driver, delivery boy, etc. She signed a contract that included these duties as a part of her driving privileges.

nkfrench
December 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I don't have kids, but can imagine the day a swimming parent's oldest kid gets his/her driver's license must be a happy day indeed!

I am not a parent either. It must be one of those happy : sad things when mom & dad relinquish chauffering duties but have the car insurance cost increase for the teen driver.

knelson
December 13th, 2006, 05:47 PM
but have the car insurance cost increase for the teen driver.

That's what kids get part-time jobs for :)

dorothyrde
December 13th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I am not a parent either. It must be one of those happy : sad things when mom & dad relinquish chauffering duties but have the car insurance cost increase for the teen driver.

I was clicking my heals when my son got his liscence, and insurance does give good student discounts which is a great help. Plus we gave him the old beat up, only have liability on it car so that helped as well.

Swimming takes a toll. I know by March I am more than ready for the break after championship season.

The Fortress
December 13th, 2006, 06:44 PM
We've had a few swim moms sleep either in their car or in the spectator area at our pool. One of our former board members even kept a sleeping bag and a pillow stashed away at the pool. Her kid was a national caliber swimmer at age 14 so she was there a lot.

In the summer, we do start later but still have to be out of the pool by 8:30 am so the city can start their lessons programs. And some of the old kids will have summer jobs and need to be able to get to them.

I may use a sleeping bag this summer. In summer, it is much worse here. Then virtually every single practice is at 4:40 am because every single USS team is trying to swim long course at GMU, one of the few indoor long course pools. I don't know what is going on at night there. Must be some masters swimmers... Plus one particular team that gets special preference. As a result, this was my kid's first long course season. I love summer league.

Caped Crusader
December 13th, 2006, 07:36 PM
NKFrench and KNelson, you should have the decency to be commiserating with us with great heaps of enthusiasm if you're on this thread instead of flaunting all that free time you've got to train. I'm jealous.

There is a subversive conspiracy where I live to raise the driving age to 17. It is already 16 1/2. No one wants to let their kid drive anyway because all we hear about are teenage accidents and teenage drinking. So I think we should kick out all the noodlers and rec swimmers out during the night hours and let the USS kids swim so I can sleep in. J/K-ing of course.

I tried sleeping in the car with the seat back this summer. I almost suffocated from the heat. No sleeping bag. Too girlie.

Muppet
December 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
One reason I never got into USS back when I was younger was that my parents didn't want to get "eaten" by alarms going off at ungodly hours of the morning to drive me to practice.

The other reason was that I didn't want to get up either ;)
:coffee:

nkfrench
December 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM
NKFrench and KNelson, you should have the decency to be commiserating with us with great heaps of enthusiasm if you're on this thread instead of flaunting all that free time you've got to train. I'm jealous.

NKFrench respectfully notes that she has averaged 53 hours/week at work this fall (varied 45-70), commutes 7 hrs/week and averages ~20 hours/week volunteering for swim club, LSC, state association, and LMSC in committed positions. My watertime has been woefully sparse and it shows. Our club is always short of parent volunteers as we operate on a shoestring budget with no paid administrator. I am not looking/won't get any sympathy points, but I did want to clear up a common misconception.

FlyQueen
December 14th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I didn't swim much as a kid ... a bit in high school ... but when I got my license my parents were happy to hand me the keys so I could drive myself to gymnastics ... 5-6 days a week during rush hour (practice was like 5-9) ... I also don't think I was always the most greatful child ... I believe I frequently complained the entire ride there about being tired, injured, sore ... and on ...

My mom told me I could swim doubles, then go to gymnastics, because I'd probably kill myself in the gym and so I chose gymnastics ... now I wish I had swum instead, but oh well ...

So on behalf of kids everywhere, thank you parents for all of your time, money, and carpooling services ... and thanks to those who volunteer their time ...

Caped Crusader
December 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM
NKFrench respectfully notes that she has averaged 53 hours/week at work this fall (varied 45-70), commutes 7 hrs/week and averages ~20 hours/week volunteering for swim club, LSC, state association, and LMSC in committed positions. My watertime has been woefully sparse and it shows. Our club is always short of parent volunteers as we operate on a shoestring budget with no paid administrator. I am not looking/won't get any sympathy points, but I did want to clear up a common misconception.

NKFrench:

That is clocking some time! I can only say :banana: . There I used a smilie. That's how angelic I am now. I wish there were more parents like you where I live.