PDA

View Full Version : Back in the pool

Slimy
December 15th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Well, it's that time. End of another year spent overweight and out of shape. I'm done with this body. Time to go back into the pool. This time I will stick with it. Gonna follow the "zero-to-1 mile in 6 weeks" plan and go from there. Hard to believe I was an "A" swimmer circa 1983. :D

Wish me luck....

scyfreestyler
December 15th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Congrats on your resolution! I look forward to hearing about your results.

Slimy
December 15th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Congrats on your resolution! I look forward to hearing about your results.

Thanks! I've been coming up with so many excuses to not swim. My latest one was that I tend to get athlete's foot from the locker room floors easily for some reason, and it took a month to get rid of it and required staying away from the pool. I wore sandles and was careful and everything and I STILL got it. Waaaaaaaa! But no matter.... I'll just Lamasil-up my feet after every workout this time. Nothing is gonna stop me. I'm 37 and my family has a history of heart disease. Something's gotta get done.

islandsox
December 15th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Welcome back to the swimming world. Once a class A swimmer, always a class A swimmer whether it be in the journey, the dedication, and/or the results.

Swimming for health, to me, is one of the most important decisions a person can make. I have been swimming for health here on the island for the last 5 years with the exception of a one-mile race held in March. I swim for the physical benefits and the removal of mental stress (yes, sometimes I do have stress down here like: gee: where should I swim today? Blue Channel or Half Moon Bay?:rofl:

Let us know how your progress is going and if you need some support to keep going in the beginning!!!

Donna

Slimy
December 15th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I'll take you up on the support at the beginning. The build-up workouts aren't tough at first but they quickly ramp up. I want to avoid hitting that wall, especially around week four. I'll come here and beg for :help: if I feel like I am!

Slimy
December 29th, 2006, 01:42 PM
OK, did my first workout this morning at 5:30AM. Not too bad I must say. It was difficult not resting between sets but I will get used to it. The local Masters came in at 6:00AM and filled up the lanes alongside me. I will check back in when I get a few more weeks into it. In six weeks I hope to be knocking out that 1650.

jaegermeister
December 29th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Slimy-
Best wishes for finding an epiphany in the pool.
This past year was the first in 6 that I did not do a marathon. Over that time, my weight nudged down a fraction and my cholesterol is still above goal. I had a lot of fun, met some great folks, but made a switch to swimming consistently in the last 6 months. My fitness level is substantially improved. My belts all got too long. Haven't re-checked my cholesterol recently, but I don't think it really matters- I know I'm healthier.
Funny thing, I thought my conditioning would be the limiting factor. Turns out that strokes have become much more sophisticated and I needed a lot of coaching. I hope you have one accessible to you.
Good luck with your efforts. Hang in there! It will get easier and you should feel SO MUCH better.
Plus, if you do meets you will find that there is a lot fun. We can be competitive, but we can laugh at ourselves as well.

ensignada
December 31st, 2006, 09:26 AM
Hey there, Slimy.

I'm on week 4 of the 0 to a mile plan.

I started back swimming this November after about 20 years out of the water. I had dropped about 20 lbs prior to some surgery this fall and knew I had to get moving to keep the process going. I had to start out with shorter distances (like 300 yds) since I was so out of shape. When I swam the 900 yds this week, I felt absolutely elated that I could do it.

Keep posting your experiences ! - Barb

nancytris
December 31st, 2006, 06:48 PM
I too am just getting back to consistent time in the pool, and find all these posts helpful in motivating me. It is good to hear that speed and competing is not necessarily the only goal!! Fitness and strength as well as health benefits are my main goals. and if I ever get better, I might consider other goals then.

At this time I am looking for realitively easy workouts and am also in the midst of the 0 to 1 mile plan. Most of the workouts I have seen here so far are waaayyyy out of my ability range!

Nancy

islandsox
December 31st, 2006, 07:54 PM
I am with you all; seems like we have a big boat that we are all in. I have been more out of the water than in due to our rainy season here and I can't swim in the ocean because it is always "angry." And I do have a one mile swim coming up March 18th, so as usual, I will have to crash train for it and it ain't pretty. And I really don't have access to a pool, only ocean.

At least I know I have company as our journey from zero to 1 mile starts!!! I'll think of all of you when it gets tough on about day number 3. I start back in a couple of days or a week when the weather cooperates.

Donna

~Wren~
December 31st, 2006, 11:53 PM
Mind if I join you all? I just checked out the 0 to 1 plan, and I think it looks like something I can handle. Most of the workouts here are a bit tougher than I am ready for, but I've been floundering trying to figure out what to do (I do better when I have a plan).

I just ordered a lap counter so I'll actually be able to track my yardage. If there's one thing I've learned in the last few weeks, it's that in my time off I seem to have lost the ability to keep count of my laps. :p

Donna - are those real flamingos in your avi? :(

islandsox
January 1st, 2007, 08:13 AM
Sarah,

No, they are the plastic pink flamingos and someone sent them to me in an email last year when the bird flu epidemic was all over the news. So, I, too used them as a joke in an avatar.

Donna

geochuck
January 1st, 2007, 09:12 AM
The great thing is getting back in the pool after many years of not swimming may I congratulate all that have comeback!!!

To those who find it hard to get workouts in I have invented a new and wonderful stroke it is called the bathtub backstroke. No longer do you need to go swimming in rough open water or get in an over crowded swim pool. The other thing is you don't need goggles or even a speedo.

islandsox
January 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM
George, good one.

Donna

SwimStud
January 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM
What is this 0 to 1 mile of which ye all speak?

poolraat
January 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM
What is this 0 to 1 mile of which ye all speak?

Rich,
I think it is the program outlined at this website:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/e/x/exk7/SwimWorkouts.html/ZeroTo1mile.html

SwimStud
January 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Rich,
I think it is the program outlined at this website:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/e/x/exk7/SwimWorkouts.html/ZeroTo1mile.html

Looks interesting. I will give this a try in Feb. It says stroke is not important either...so a frontdrowner like me should manage. We'll see.
I bookmarked it. Thanks Mr Raat. :D

ensignada
January 1st, 2007, 06:00 PM
For me, breaststroke would be "0 to 1650 in 6 years" - I had a friend videotape me this weekend doing free, back and breast so I could see how I looked. Free and back looked good - I'm surprised the lifeguard didn't jump in while I was doing breast.

Larry_55
January 1st, 2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the helpful link Poolratt. I've been looking for the next step in my fitness training routine and I'm hoping I'm ready to give this workout a try soon.

islandsox
January 1st, 2007, 09:08 PM
Maybe all of us doing the 0 to 1650 should start a group? The Mile High Club?

Donna

ensignada
January 1st, 2007, 09:22 PM
:rofl:

Thank Heavens I wasn't eating or drinking when I read your post, Donna!

The "club" sounds good.

~Wren~
January 1st, 2007, 09:54 PM
Sarah,

No, they are the plastic pink flamingos and someone sent them to me in an email last year when the bird flu epidemic was all over the news. So, I, too used them as a joke in an avatar.

Donna

Glad to hear they're of the plastic variety . . . I thought they were at first, but then the more I looked at them, the more I wondered.

I'd be game for a "club" too . . . though I'm not going to start until next week. I'm finishing up a running class this week (shhh, don't tell my PT ;) ), so I'm just putzing in the pool on my off days.

SwimStud
January 1st, 2007, 10:02 PM
Maybe all of us doing the 0 to 1650 should start a group? The Mile High Club?

Donna

Donna if you're going to do it...just remember to be safe...
...bring a parachute!! :joker:

Seriously though I am going to try this in 0-1 mile in Feb. If anyone wants to work alongside me as a virtual trainng partner let me know.

Rich

Slimy
January 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM
I like it... the Mile High Club. :)

After that first workout, my triceps and back were SORE. In all the previous times when I got back in the pool after a hiatus, I was never this sore. I'm sure that's because I was resting far too long between sets. The 0 to 1650 plan only has me resting for a few breaths, which is good. It forces me to work harder.

This morning went a little better. I can already tell my strength has improved.

My new dilemma... a new suit. I wear these nylon gym shorts with mesh pockets and they are kind of baggy. I haven't worn a real swim suit in ages. Anybody recommend something for a big guy? I wouldn't exactly look real good in lycra right now. :D But, the shorts I wear give me a lot of drag, which I suppose is good for me but I don't want too much drag preventing me from reaching my goals.

SwimStud
January 2nd, 2007, 08:31 AM

After that first workout, my triceps and back were SORE. In all the previous times when I got back in the pool after a hiatus, I was never this sore. I'm sure that's because I was resting far too long between sets. The 0 to 1650 plan only has me resting for a few breaths, which is good. It forces me to work harder.

My new dilemma... a new suit. I wear these nylon gym shorts with mesh pockets and they are kind of baggy. I haven't worn a real swim suit in ages. Anybody recommend something for a big guy? I wouldn't exactly look real good in lycra right now. :D But, the shorts I wear give me a lot of drag, which I suppose is good for me but I don't want too much drag preventing me from reaching my goals.

get yourself a pair of jammers wear them under the baggy ones (if your self conscious) and ditch the baggy ones just as you're about to get in the pool. I doubt anyone is looking and if they are once you're in the water it's irrelevant.

Slimy
January 2nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
get yourself a pair of jammers wear them under the baggy ones (if your self conscious) and ditch the baggy ones just as you're about to get in the pool. I doubt anyone is looking and if they are once you're in the water it's irrelevant.

I thought about doing exactly that. I don't really care too much what people think I suppose. The only folks there at this time of the morning are the masters people and they are all really nice.

geochuck
January 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
If I worried what people thought of my little old thread bare Speedo which shows more of my backside than should be shown, I would wear the one of three swim suits my wife bought the other day. Now that would really shame me boxer type shorts to swim in???? not me.

knelson
January 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Anybody recommend something for a big guy?

If you want something durable with good coverage go for a polyester mesh training suit. Speedo, TYR and Nike all make them. I know they make them at least up to a size 40.

Slimy
January 2nd, 2007, 01:43 PM
If you want something durable with good coverage go for a polyester mesh training suit. Speedo, TYR and Nike all make them. I know they make them at least up to a size 40.

Yeah I noticed the masters guys wearing these. I might give those a shot. Maybe this will be me in a year? One can dream.... :)

~Wren~
January 2nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Seriously though I am going to try this in 0-1 mile in Feb. If anyone wants to work alongside me as a virtual trainng partner let me know.

Rich

Hey Rich, I'm game. I can use the rest of this month to just get back in the swing of making it to the pool at least 3x each week. So . . . starting the 1st week of Feb?

SwimStud
January 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hey Rich, I'm game. I can use the rest of this month to just get back in the swing of making it to the pool at least 3x each week. So . . . starting the 1st week of Feb?

Yes it will be fun. I have a meet on 1/28 and after that I need to get my front crawl going.
This isn't exclusive either, if anyone else wants in speak up...we can have a thread on it.

FlyQueen
January 2nd, 2007, 04:37 PM
There goes Rich and his elitist clicks again ... just because you can swim breaststroke ... geez ...

SwimStud
January 2nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
There goes Rich and his elitist clicks again ... just because you can swim breaststroke ... geez ...

Wait until I get to work on my fly...

~Wren~
January 2nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Yes it will be fun. I have a meet on 1/28 and after that I need to get my front crawl going.
This isn't exclusive either, if anyone else wants in speak up...we can have a thread on it.

The more the merrier. :) I do so much better when I need to be accountable to others.

~Wren~
January 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM

I know it will be different for everone, but about how long did your first week workouts take? I'm trying to figure out how early I'll have to get up.
Thanks!

Slimy
January 3rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
I know it will be different for everone, but about how long did your first week workouts take? I'm trying to figure out how early I'll have to get up.
Thanks!

It has taken me about 25 - 30 minutes or so.

~Wren~
January 3rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
It has taken me about 25 - 30 minutes or so.

Oh that's not bad at all. I am really bad at tracking my yardage, so I have no idea how much I'm doing right now - so no way to know how far I get in an hour. I have a lap counter on the way though.

Slimy
January 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah I'm only doing 700 yards per session in this first week.

jlh
January 3rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
I also just started up again after 13 years off. Feels great. My main goal is to drop 40-50 lbs. and get back under 200. good thing is I can get to the pool 5-6 time per week for an hour.

I used teh 0-1 mile as a guide and came up with this.

200 warmup
4x100 10-15 breaths
100 breast
4x75 7-10 breaths
100 breast
4x50 5 breaths
100 breast
200 cool down

total 1600

this takes about 45-50 minutes for me to complete

anyway nice to see so many are just starting.

Joshua

jamesmch
January 3rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Well, it's that time. End of another year spent overweight and out of shape. I'm done with this body. Time to go back into the pool. This time I will stick with it. Gonna follow the "zero-to-1 mile in 6 weeks" plan and go from there. Hard to believe I was an "A" swimmer circa 1983. :D

Wish me luck....

I was wondering if someone could advise me.. I have suffered with severe acne over the last number of years and now have acne scars on my back. I used to be a keen swimmer but for the last 6 years haven't been near a pool as am too embarrassed to be seen without my top. I know most indoor pools frown on the wearing of T-shirts etc...but does anyone have any advice....have recently got a proplapsed disc in my lower back so would love to get into the pool again...
Any suggestions?......would be much appreciated!

scyfreestyler
January 3rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
If you are really concerned about it you might want to see a dermatologist and/or a plastic surgeon. I can understand your apprehension but I would also attempt to convince you that nobody at the pool is likely to care. I am generally not a fan of plastic surgery but if the scars are preventing you from doing something that would be healthy for you both physically and mentally, I would probably be more inclined to suggest it.

~Wren~
January 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
I was wondering if someone could advise me.. I have suffered with severe acne over the last number of years and now have acne scars on my back. I used to be a keen swimmer but for the last 6 years haven't been near a pool as am too embarrassed to be seen without my top. I know most indoor pools frown on the wearing of T-shirts etc...but does anyone have any advice....have recently got a proplapsed disc in my lower back so would love to get into the pool again...
Any suggestions?......would be much appreciated!

I don't know if this will make you feel better but I don't pay to much attention to the appearance of the other swimmers at my pool. There's an older guy with a white swim cap who is usually in the lane next to me - he's fast (which is motivating). There's a woman with a red & orange suit, and another who wears black and has a big mesh bag of stuff. They're the only ones I've really taken notice of, and thats really about all I can tell you about them. I doubt they could tell you much more about me - black suit, does a lot of backstroke maybe?

I do understand a bit though. I had a baby in June and I think I look awful in my suit . . . I was not excited to drop my towel and walk across the deck, but now I'd bet no one really noticed. :dunno: I'm just having fun getting back in the swing of things.

nkfrench
January 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
I think most adult swimmers don't really care, especially if they are in the pool to get a workout themselves and the "problem" doesn't appear contagious.

The other day some very heavyset guy got in the pool wearing some bulky long swim shorts. A few minutes later when I was between repeats, I noticed the swim shorts tossed on the pool deck. He was just shy and DID have a speedo on... That's fine and I think most of us would respect the guy just for getting in to do some swimming.

We have other more important things to worry about during our swim like counting strokes/lengths/repeats, keeping track of the set, trying to get some air before the next repeat.

I understand the feeling ... my towel is always wrapped around me right up to the last few feet to the pool.

ensignada
January 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
I'm more likely to notice strokes than bodies.

I'm no vision in spandex myself, but I doubt if a swimmer has noticed or thought twice if they did.

nancytris
January 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
This club sounds so cool! I wish I hadn't already started the 0 to one mile workouts! I have slowly gotten through the first 3 weeks (slowly is the operative word for me) and am just beginning week 4. My endurance has always been a strength so I knew I could get to a mile soon enough. It's after reaching that mile that I will have difficulities. I am too slow to be able to follow any of the workouts I find here, but I want some challenge to increase my speed if only just a little. There may be a Master's workout starting at my local Y, and I am hopeful with my schedule that I will be able to get to those once a week.

I am enjoying the 0 to one mile workouts -- it is great to have a focused goal each time in the pool. Once I get to that mile however, it will be back to simply doing laps, is why I am looking for other similar options for workouts.

Nancy

~Wren~
January 3rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
This club sounds so cool! I wish I hadn't already started the 0 to one mile workouts! I have slowly gotten through the first 3 weeks (slowly is the operative word for me) and am just beginning week 4. My endurance has always been a strength so I knew I could get to a mile soon enough. It's after reaching that mile that I will have difficulities. I am too slow to be able to follow any of the workouts I find here, but I want some challenge to increase my speed if only just a little. There may be a Master's workout starting at my local Y, and I am hopeful with my schedule that I will be able to get to those once a week.

I am enjoying the 0 to one mile workouts -- it is great to have a focused goal each time in the pool. Once I get to that mile however, it will be back to simply doing laps, is why I am looking for other similar options for workouts.

Nancy

Maybe you could restart and see if you could better your times a bit?

SwimStud
January 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
This club sounds so cool! I wish I hadn't already started the 0 to one mile workouts!
Nancy

Nancy you can be our pioneer and still encourage those of us who start in Feb. So you will still be a valued member. :wiggle:

Slimy
January 4th, 2007, 07:17 AM
OK, this morning I get to the pool and it's set up for 50 meter lanes. Ugh. This was going to ruin my workout. I haven't swam 50 meter laps in 18 years. I shortened my workout a little bit and I'm still wore out. Turns out that they set it up for 50 meter lanes on Tues/Thurs/Sat. Next week I'm going to a Mon/Wed/Fri schedule, so I should be good. :) But man, that was hard not getting my little 25-yard flip turn mini-breaks. I need some :coffee: .

Slimy
January 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM
I was wondering if someone could advise me..

I'm with the others here in that I really don't pay much attention to others in or out of the pool. I try to keep that in mind when I stroll the deck to my lane. At the time of the morning I'm there, it's either masters swimmers or high school aged club swimmers doing some serious work. The only thing they seem to look at is the clock.

ensignada
January 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Week 3 is killing me. I did the first of three days with no problem, but since I'm back working now (I prepare taxes), I can only swim after 9pm. On Tuesday, I got through the 1x400 just fine, but I was dying at the end of the 4x100s. I kept going through sheer stubborness. That was 2 days ago, and I am still discovering muscle groups I didn't know I had. I am not looking forward to tonight (but I kinda am, if you know what I mean.)

If tonight is as difficult, do you think I should spend more time at this distance or push on to the next level and hope the lifeguards are awake?

(Does anyone else have problems keeping track of laps? I forget sometimes whether I am on the front or back 50 of a 100 yard segment. Any tricks to share?)

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Week 3 is killing me. I did the first of three days with no problem, but since I'm back working now (I prepare taxes), I can only swim after 9pm. On Tuesday, I got through the 1x400 just fine, but I was dying at the end of the 4x100s. I kept going through sheer stubborness. That was 2 days ago, and I am still discovering muscle groups I didn't know I had. I am not looking forward to tonight (but I kinda am, if you know what I mean.)

If tonight is as difficult, do you think I should spend more time at this distance or push on to the next level and hope the lifeguards are awake?

(Does anyone else have problems keeping track of laps? I forget sometimes whether I am on the front or back 50 of a 100 yard segment. Any tricks to share?)

1) Energy drink
2) Warm shower before you swim.
3) Stick to the plan. Ask the guard to cheer you on!!
4) Hot shower after swim.
5) Eat a banana.
6) Feel mighty!
Go get 'em tiger!

ensignada
January 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the cheer, Rich.

I kinda figured that since I can do the 1250 yards, I should just keep moving on and pushing myself. Sometimes you need a cheer or a kick in the behind, you know?

Larry_55
January 4th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I guess I won't be able to join the club since I also already started the 0-mile workout this week along with Nancy. It takes me around 30 min to complete (freestyle) and then I repeat it (the workout) w/ backstroke for a total of 1400. Then I throw in several sets of breastroking 50's for good measure. So far so good. When the yardage starts to increase I'll drop the back/breast options.Not concerned about times at this point, just glad to be on track with a better stroke and improving cardio stamina. Good luck to all. Challenge yourself.

nancytris
January 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM
OK:banana: I will be on the team!! I will start over on February 1st as suggested to see if I can improve my time. I do love having a goal for each swim.

I think if the current level is really hard and painful in your training, there is no harm (and probably good) in staying at that level for an additional few workouts. None of us are apparently in any hurry, we just want to build our strength, stamina, and enventually speed.

Let's have a name for our team heh?
Nancy

Slimy
January 8th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Well, it seems I'm going to have to get to the pool earlier than 5:45AM. The place was packed today... perhaps a few new year resolutions folks including myself. To make matters worse, the showers had no hot water. I felt like I was standing underneath a mountain waterfall. But we must press on!

As I struggled to get up this morning I thought of something that motivated me... I figure each workout I do potentially adds one more day to my life. One more day to spend with my spouse, children and eventually grandchildren. This thought really motivates me and keeps me going.

Happy swimming 1650ers! Whooo hoooo!!

geochuck
January 8th, 2007, 08:57 AM
As I struggled to get up this morning I thought of something that motivated me... I figure each workout I do potentially adds one more day to my life. One more day to spend with my spouse, children and eventually grandchildren. This thought really motivates me and keeps me going. Happy swimming 1650ers! Whooo hoooo!!

I hope that all the days I've missed over the years does not shorten my life by a day for each day I missed.

Slimy
January 8th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I hope that all the days I've missed over the years does not shorten my life by a day for each day I missed.

I prefer not to think of it that way. :) I try to think of it as we are alotted a certain amount of time given our lifestyle, and swimming regularly (or any kind of excercise) on average, lengthens it. With my family history of heart disease, it's a no-brainer to be as healthy as possible.

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the cheer, Rich.

I kinda figured that since I can do the 1250 yards, I should just keep moving on and pushing myself. Sometimes you need a cheer or a kick in the behind, you know?

Yes I do. We'll cheer you now...you can cheer us all in Feb. :)

Let's have a name for our team heh?
Nancy

Nancy, good idea. Let's round up some suggestions. My suggestion is "Webbed Hands" We've met on the web, and are lending a virtual hand to each other. Also it has an aquatic connotation too.

George...don't start fretting, or you'll have me worrying :D

nancytris
January 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hmmm - now I will have to put on my thinking cap to see if I can come up with a suggested team name. [I]Webbed Hands[I] is good.

I am continuing on with the 0 to one workouts and did the first day of week #5 yesterday. It wasn't easy --- but I did it :applaud: if indeed slowly:snore: . I had a few "Resolutioners" to fit around as well, but was there early enough to get at least half my time in a lane to myself. Funny, but it makes me want to get back in the pool today! But I am trying to NOT do two of the same sports in a row (I also bike/spin, weight train, and try:dunno: to walk/jog) in an effort to avoid injury such as shoulder issues!

My most difficult thing is to convince myself that a day of rest is a GOOD thing! I need some :help: from you guys to encourage me to take one day off a week -- I am (and have been for a very long time) OBSESSED about these things!

I'm rambling so will stop!!!
Nancy

The Fortress
January 8th, 2007, 11:46 AM
My most difficult thing is to convince myself that a day of rest is a GOOD thing! I need some :help: from you guys to encourage me to take one day off a week -- I am (and have been for a very long time) OBSESSED about these things!

I hate rest days. I begin to imagine that I am becoming unfit. I really hate a major interruption of training. That's why I'm an ogre right now. But everyone once in awhile you need some quality rest to let your body recover or to keep improving performance. Gotta rest if you're tapering ... 1 day off a week is a good plan n general.

poolraat
January 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Am back in the pool again after a 6 week layoff, unless you want to count sporadic swimming in a short, hot motel pool. I am soooo out of shape!!! And the pool was cold!! On deck the lifeguards were wearing their coats, the water was 78, and the showers were cold too. Don't think I'll need to worry about the "resolutioners" for a while. I just love winters here!!!

I think I'll start going to work early and take a long lunch break and swim then. This 6:00 am thing isn't going to get it!! (outside temp was hovering just above 0).

geochuck
January 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Nancy don't consider rest days as a break from swimming it is part of training.

swim4me
January 8th, 2007, 07:07 PM
As I struggled to get up this morning I thought of something that motivated me...

Slimy - I have been getting up at 4:45 am for at least 10 years most week days. Unless I am up all night because of work (not all that often), every day that I work (we have a real nice gym at work) and sometimes even when I am off, I work out. I am now swimming instead of going to the gym three days a week, but I digress....:blah: Even though I am naturally a morning person:coffee: , I do enjoy my sleep:snore: . I have realized that if I do not work out first thing in the morning:banana: , and that means getting up 'before God does':D , I will either get too busy at work to work out during lunch:( , or if I wait until after work, I talk myself out of it (as much as I love working out, I am real good at making excuses if I leave it to later in the day:frustrated: ). I know if I get up early, I am already up and since there is nothing else to do that early, I either swim (three days a week), or go the gym. When I first started doing this, I would think, "I'll just sleep in today only". But I knew if I did that even just once, it would be much easier to do it the next day, and pretty soon I will morph back into someone who does not work out :eek: and I would not feel good about that!:(

ensignada
January 8th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Um, guys?

I got lapped by someone with a kickboard over the weekend. :shakeshead:

I was pleased with how I swam, but heavens was the woman in the next last fast!

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Um, guys?

webbed toes.. 'nuff said...

ensignada
January 8th, 2007, 10:33 PM
webbed toes.. 'nuff said...

Had to be. Just had to be. I can't be that slow! I felt like I was swimming backwards - which usually only happens when I swim breaststroke.:D

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Had to be. Just had to be. I can't be that slow! I felt like I was swimming backwards - which usually only happens when I swim breaststroke.:D

I suggest you swim behind next time and get a real good look...I bet you got one of those "X-men" persons there... :joker:

swimmieAvsFan
January 9th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Um, guys?

i see you're from the philly area... was it laurie hug or vikie swanson that lapped you? if it was, there's no shame in that- they're both wicked fast!

besides, even if you did get lapped, you're still in the pool, which means you're getting more exercise than about 95% of the american public...

and you said yourself that you were pleased with how you swam. that's the most important part!
:)

poolraat
January 9th, 2007, 10:40 AM

There is a guy here who used to swim on our USS age group team (now swims for U of Arizona) who kicks a 100 faster than I can swim it free.

poolraat
January 13th, 2007, 09:39 AM
After a week of "mindful" engine building, I am sore. Especially the leg's breaststroke kick muscles! Tell me again....why do I want to master this stroke?

I think I'll skip today's swim and just do weights.

swim4me
January 13th, 2007, 10:33 AM
My coach has really been pushing us hard this week!!!! My theory is that he is slowly trying to kill us:dunno: . I know he has the best intentions and I feel I am improving. However, I have also added weights to my program. Swim three mornings a week, do a stairmill, ARC, or eliptical and weights and Yoga type stretches two times a week, and a real Yoga class on Friday around noon (after swim practice in the morning). I am so sore today!!!! Was last weekend too. I had just started the weight lifting addition, but had gotten a massage that afternoon and contributed the soreness to the massage. My legs, and upper back are really feeling the change in routine in addition to the extra rough practices. I love the swimming though and I know the coach is preparing us for meets later this year (we are a really new team, starting in October and I am the only one with prior swimteam experience). Thanks, I just needed to vent and share my agony with others I thought might understand. :agree:

~Wren~
January 23rd, 2007, 09:47 PM
:wave: So for those of you who started the 0-1 mile, how's it going? I'm looking forward to getting started next week - my lap counter came, so I can actually keep track of my distance now. :p

ensignada
January 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
I'm in the middle of week 4 right now (1x600,1x300,4x100,2x50). It's going well. I never suspected when I started that I would look forward to doing 4x100s, but after the 600/300 combo, taking a quick breather every 2 laps seems a luxury!

I have to say that before I start each new Week, I think that I'm going to drown doing it, but I haven't. I've been ready to move to the next level. I cannot believe how far I've come. I truly believe that I can do this now.

(I've already started thinking about my next goal, once I've accomplished this one. I'm thinking it might have to do with building speed....)

~Wren~
January 23rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
I'm in the middle of week 4 right now (1x600,1x300,4x100,2x50). It's going well. I never suspected when I started that I would look forward to doing 4x100s, but after the 600/300 combo, taking a quick breather every 2 laps seems a luxury!

I have to say that before I start each new Week, I think that I'm going to drown doing it, but I haven't. I've been ready to move to the next level. I cannot believe how far I've come. I truly believe that I can do this now.

(I've already started thinking about my next goal, once I've accomplished this one. I'm thinking it might have to do with building speed....)

Barb,
What kind of distances/workouts were you doing before you started this? I'm having doubts about whether I'll be able to keep up. . . but I'm sure going to try.

Slimy
January 24th, 2007, 07:11 AM
:wave: So for those of you who started the 0-1 mile, how's it going? I'm looking forward to getting started next week - my lap counter came, so I can actually keep track of my distance now. :p

I have unfortunately been sidetracked a little bit. I got sick last week (fever, cough, etc.) and only went to the pool once. I went on Monday this week to get back in the swing but the cough kept me up nearly all night last night so I couldn't go today. Very, VERY frustrating. I'm on week 3 in terms of the schedule but I had to repeat week one since I missed a couple of days. I've decided not to push it too much or else I'll just stay sick.

ensignada
January 24th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Barb,
What kind of distances/workouts were you doing before you started this? I'm having doubts about whether I'll be able to keep up. . . but I'm sure going to try.

Prior to starting this I spent 6 weeks recovering from a hysterectomy and related surgery, so I was pretty weak and out of shape. I had to take the workouts and create Week A (300 yards), B (400 yards) and so on in the same format until I could do the first week (700 yards). Honestly, after 400 yards, it seemed like my body caught on and I added the additional yardage without too much grief. Going from 900 to 1250 was the hardest as I had never swum 400 straight yards before (at least not in a long, long time).

The other thing is that I've not paid any attention at all to my time; I've just focused on completing the workout. That's why when I'm done, I'm going to start working on speed. Interestingly, I've noticed that the longer my swims get, the faster I seem to be swimming. Doubling the distance hasn't meant doubling the time. I'll be curious when I get the the full mile (1760) how long it takes me. I'm guessing most of the folks here will be able to swim over 2 miles in the time that it takes me to swim one. But that's ok, it's not like I'm going to get any slower!;)

Post on this thread how you're doing. People have been so nice and supportive, and that's really helped me push it in the pool.

nancytris
January 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM
[quote=ensignada;75682]
I'm guessing most of the folks here will be able to swim over 2 miles in the time that it takes me to swim one. But that's ok, it's not like I'm going to get any slower!;)quote]

I'll be right next to you :wave: Speed is not part of me!!:shakeshead: :shakeshead: I have finished the last week of 0 - 1 mile and actually completed a mile non stop. It feels great. I am now trying a workout that I found here somewhere -- a ladder of sorts that adds up to 2000 yards or meters in a workout. THAT is difficult!! It takes soooo much time:blah: .

But I love having those goals, and sometime soon I hope my workout might even take less than an hour:banana: Or that I will at least be swimming more meters in that hour:groovy: .

All in all I am enjoying my swims and adding more and more to my fitness and this is what it is all about for me. 5000 meters in an hour will never be a goal I could reach, so I don't have it as one! Someday I may work on speed (whatever that is) but for now I am happy with distance and endurance..

Thanks for being here all of you.

SwimStud
January 24th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Barb,

Wren it will be hard work but we will do this step by step...at breaststroke I could do this with no issue...it will be a challenge for me doing this at crawl. We will keep a blog here or something.

Is anyone else looking to start this in Feb?? Let us know.

Rich

~Wren~
January 24th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Nancy,
Congrats on finishing the mile! :woot:

nancytris
January 25th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks Sarah! I now want to keep up my motivation to be consistent with swimming 3 times a week (I will be happy with a consistent 2 times each week but 3 sure would be nice.

If you havn't finished the mile -- keep at it and don't rush things --- you WILL get there.

Nancy

Slimy
January 30th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Bad news for me. I have pneumonia.

I've had a cough for a couple of weeks and it started wth a light fever. Well, I got a raging fever on Sunday night and went to bed at 5:30PM. Tossed and turned until the next morning, then drug myself to the local urgent care. One listen to my chest and he says "Yep, you've got pneumonia." A couple of chest x-rays later and it was confirmed.

This really sucks. I can't really swim again until this is gone. Grrrrrrrrrr!

geochuck
January 30th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Remedy have a hot tody then go cuddle in bed.

nancytris
January 30th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Slimy, I'm so sorry about your pneumonia! I know you posted last week about not feeling well, having a persistent cough, etc., but who knew? As we all experience, the hardest part about exercise and working out is not being able to!! Do take it easy and come back strong and well. A forced rest can be a good thing (coming from someone who worries about taking one day off a week to rest:blah: ).

Nancy

SwimStud
January 30th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Bad news for me. I have pneumonia.

I've had a cough for a couple of weeks and it started wth a light fever. Well, I got a raging fever on Sunday night and went to bed at 5:30PM. Tossed and turned until the next morning, then drug myself to the local urgent care. One listen to my chest and he says "Yep, you've got pneumonia." A couple of chest x-rays later and it was confirmed.

This really sucks. I can't really swim again until this is gone. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Don't fret just rest.
I was sick over New Year. I had 2 solid weeks of training in January doing about 2000-2500 yards each swim, every other day. Then a week out from my meet I rested up only swam 2 x in the week no more than 1200 Yards. I posted faster times than I imagined I could do.
the rest won't hurt you...as much as you think and your body will enjoy the recuperation immensely.

ensignada
February 7th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I swam a continuous mile tonight for the first time. The best part is that I felt great doing it and felt like I could have gone on for a few hundred more yards. It's hard for me to believe that I was winded after swimming 300 yards in December. Goal number one (some endurance) accomplished.

Goal number two involves developing speed. I'm a little embarrassed about how long it took me to swim that mile, but let's say I could knock 10 minutes off the time and I still wouldn't be competitve. I'm looking forward to the variety that workouts provide and the challenge of the pace clock.

Goal three might involve competition: I went to a local masters meet just to check it out came away with two thoughts (1) this looks like a lot of fun and (2) I think I can do this if I work hard. It's hard to hang out with y'all and not get the bug.

A big thank you to you all. I've never really felt alone working on this.

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I swam a continuous mile tonight for the first time. The best part is that I felt great doing it and felt like I could have gone on for a few hundred more yards. It's hard for me to believe that I was winded after swimming 300 yards in December. Goal number one (some endurance) accomplished.

Goal number two involves developing speed. I'm a little embarrassed about how long it took me to swim that mile, but let's say I could knock 10 minutes off the time and I still wouldn't be competitve. I'm looking forward to the variety that workouts provide and the challenge of the pace clock.

Goal three might involve competition: I went to a local masters meet just to check it out came away with two thoughts (1) this looks like a lot of fun and (2) I think I can do this if I work hard. It's hard to hang out with y'all and not get the bug.

A big thank you to you all. I've never really felt alone working on this.

Good Job Barb. I'll be seeing you at halfway meets in NJ then ;)

nancytris
February 8th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Way to go Barb:applaud: . What an accomplishment. And you inspire me to move along on some goals myself!! I am as slow as anyone can possibly be I believe:snore: . I have at least broken up my mile distance swims to include some shorter for a bit of speed (I dare call it that) work but remain molasses!

I have not atteneded a master's meet so that will be a goal as well. The ones that are coming up in my area in the very near future are happening on dates that conflict with my other things. I will keep looking though.

Good job, and keep us posted on your next steps -- I am very interested and you help me move along :groovy:

nancytris
February 20th, 2007, 10:36 AM
:confused: I've been thinking about this thread and all of you who took on this challenge of swimming a mile. How has everyone been doing? Have you completed your mile goal?

I have done my mile :groovy: and continue to be consistent at getting in a swim 3 times a week in February:applaud: ! Joining in on the "Go The Distance" challenge here on the board has kept me motivated to get in the pool. I remain much slower than most, but have been able to take off a few seconds here and there (I haven't actually timed anything and suppose that might be my next "goal").

Do any of you have other goals now that you have completed that mile? Is the mile remain your goal?

Just checking in with you all;)

SwimStud
February 20th, 2007, 10:40 AM
:confused: I've been thinking about this thread and all of you who took on this challenge of swimming a mile. How has everyone been doing? Have you completed your mile goal?

Hiya Nancy
Glad to see you're still at it!
I'm on week 3 of the challenge. I like it. I haven't gone too far outside of my comfort zone, which is good. I like having a roadmap to the 1650.
I tend to be doing this as a warmup before going on to other stuff. Which works out quite well provided I have the time to spare.

Rich

Slimy
February 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Well, got back in the pool today after a three-week hiatus from having the pneumonia. I think it's finally gone. Had to basically start over again. But at least I'm back!!!

Slimy
May 21st, 2007, 12:21 PM
Update: Well, I changed the workout a bit. I just simplified it by adding 100 yards per week to the warmup until it equals a 1750. I am pleased to report that I'm up to 1400 yards without stopping now (all freestyle). This morning I could have kept going but I didn't want to overdo it. For awhile there the 350-400 yard mark was my pain point where I really felt like stopping and I had to fight through it to keep going. Now, there is no more plateau. I just keep going. Sort of like my arms are numb and there is some machine moving them for me.

Nanner dance!! :banana:

ensignada
May 21st, 2007, 09:04 PM
Way to go, Slimy!