PDA

View Full Version : buchberger book

wrybosome
December 16th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Hey Fortress, I was wondering if you got the Buchberger shoulder book? Anything new or unusual in it compared to the standard shoulder PT exercises?

The Fortress
December 16th, 2006, 01:04 AM
I have the video. I confess I have not watched it yet. I am being swamped by swim meets for the "rude hormonal fortress." I really don't swim myself anymore...my kids are intruding on my life. My trap still hurts. I will report back when I actually view it. Is your shoulder better? How is that self-enforced taper?

wrybosome
December 16th, 2006, 12:55 PM
We had one go throught he rude hormonal larval stage too, but she came out the other just recently. Now the others are headed into the blender of middle school/high school.

Shoulder is...ok. I layed off everything for 2 solid weeks, then ventured back in the pool this week. I'm keeping the yardage low now, about 1100 y where I was doing 1800 before.

No pain in the shoulder except when I put some force into raising or extending it. I'm doing about 20 minutes of PT daily on them, switching between various exercises I've seen in different shoulder threads. I'm hoping that a slightly different routine each day will maximize the rehab I get out of it. No pullups or anything else to aggravate it either.

The Fortress
January 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
Hey Fortress, I was wondering if you got the Buchberger shoulder book? Anything new or unusual in it compared to the standard shoulder PT exercises?

OK, Tim, I am ready to report back. My shoulder feels pretty dandy right now because I'm laid low with the most wretched sinus ailment. So it seemed like the time to view the video.

They exercises are somewhat different than the PT exercises I was doing. These exercises focus on the rotator cuff and scapular stabilization and the range of movement is more complex with a lot of focus on the position of the thumb and wrist. They involve tubing, hand weights and wrist cuffs. (You can use hand weights if you don't have wrist cuffs.) There are 12 exercises, each one involves 2-4 mini-steps to target all the itty bitty muscles with a lot of retraction and protraction of the shoulder blades. It's too difficult to describe the execution of the exercises themselves, but I'll list them:

1. side lying abduction
2. the plus (on hand & knees and in push up position)
3. field goal
4. concentric-eccentric
5. modified empty can (regular empty can is a no, no)
6. pronation/supination
7. subscapularis pull (across back)
8. external rotation
9. bilateral blackburn 3 (with thumbs out, palms down, thurmbs up)
10. standing 4 way (you've probably done this one)
11. dynamic blackburn
12. scapular field goal

You want to start with anywhere from 0-3 pound weights depending on whether you're doing pre-hab or you've already wrecked your shoulder. You do 2-3 sets of 10-12. Then you gradually go to 15, 20, 25, and 30 reps before you move up in weights. Never use more than a 5 pound weight or you will start recruiting larger muscles, which one can worry about in the weight room.

I'm going to try and incorporate some of these new things into my routine, especially the scapular stuff. Hope this helps and that you're doing well.

wrybosome
January 4th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks, I've done many of those. The routine i'm on now seems to be working pretty well, since I've been back in the pool for a while and it's not aggravating the shoulder.

Anyway, thanks and get healthy.

runner girl
February 24th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Does anyone have just the Buchberger manual and think it is adequate? Or do I really need to purchase either the video or the DVD?