PDA

View Full Version : Monofins

cmartin
December 17th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Is there anybody out there using monofins in their training? I know a few people around my area that are using them and they sing their praises as far as leg strength and ab/core development.

Any help would be appreciated.

islandsox
December 17th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I don't use Monofins, but friends I know have. And what they have to say is what you wrote, especially core development. They use them a lot doing back-dolphin kick and it is a much quicker way to increase ab/core strength than the typical crunches people do, plus they get to be in the water while doing this exercise. Two birds with one stone.

But I have never used the monofin myself.

Donna

The Fortress
December 17th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I just got my daughter a monofin, which was our her xmas list. (Since our feet are the same size, I will make use of it too! Her coach did endorse this purchase.)

My understanding of the monofin is that it can improve streamlines, body alignment, underwater dolphin kick technique, kicking efficiency, and that they provide a good core workout. Monofins are particularly beneficial in short course as opposed to long course where turns take on a heightened role. I have heard that the "shooter" monofins are very good for encouraging fast feet and high cyle rate as opposed to just long slow dolphin kicks. When you're underwater, you want to kick fast.

Monofins can be used in all 4 strokes. Freestyle, especially for the turns. Backstroke for the 15 meters you get underwater on the start and turns. Fly to help with the recovery and undulation and SDKs. (You will see Misty Hyman training with the on the Go Swim fly video.) And breast for rapid recovery and fluidity.

Monofins are also useful for race pace work. But you should not use them entirely in lieu of kicking. You've got to kick fast without them too, unless you're completely TI-ing, then you might not be doing any kick sets. Go for it! I'm excited to give them a whirl too!

Mighty Minnow
January 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Ok...just got my monofin (Finis Shooter) and played with it last nite. First I found out its not so easy swimming straight with them......I guess my streamline is 'crooked'?? Oddly, I found the dolphin kicking on the back the easiest (I tried all sides). However, now I realize how slow my sdk is; anyone out there have some good drills to do with this piece of equipment? Is it better to practice underwater or on the surface with this fin? Really was hoping the fin would have come with some useful exercises........

SwimStud
January 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Ok...just got my monofin (Finis Shooter) and played with it last nite. First I found out its not so easy swimming straight with them......I guess my streamline is 'crooked'?? Oddly, I found the dolphin kicking on the back the easiest (I tried all sides). However, now I realize how slow my sdk is; anyone out there have some good drills to do with this piece of equipment? Is it better to practice underwater or on the surface with this fin? Really was hoping the fin would have come with some useful exercises........

On your back is a good starting point. This way you can breathe easy until you get used to it. I'm no expert bu my MF set is 5x100:

1 4x25 SDK front no breathing (hence 25's)
2 1x100 on Back
3&4 1x100 on each side you can stay near surface and breathe with a pull if needed.
4 25 of each.
That's my set, but you can do nice hard shooters and rest to go fast but feel 25 yards is a little to short the wall comes very quick. Also, I tend to find the walls are a little tricky to turn (I don't want to crack the fin on the wall) so you tend to grab a breath or two there.
50m pool will really work you.

Mighty Minnow
January 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Thank you SS:
So far I've used them 3 times.....my lower abs are cramping now. Really, really, really hope this monofin will improve my butterfly. Currently I feel its all arms in my version of butterfly, and when I was a kid, I recall it was pretty much all my abs.

I must say, using this monofin is not easy.....my body does not want to stay in a straight line.

SwimStud
January 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I must say, using this monofin is not easy.....my body does not want to stay in a straight line.

I stuck to SDK at first then worked on the back. Don't overdo it!