PDA

View Full Version : Alot Of Questions On 100 Scy Free Race

rtodd
December 21st, 2006, 08:31 PM
I have only raced the 100 free twice and have some questions on how to distribute my energy in the race.

I don't do fully rested time trials often in my workouts. I also swim in a 100 ft pool which make splits tough (no coach timing them either). So it is difficult for me to quantify how to race the 100 in practice. I thought it would be a good idea to hear from the strong sprinters.

Do you go all out right off the blocks and then hang on or take just a little off the first 50?

If not all out from the start and you open up and relax a little, do you relax both the flutter kick and upper body arm strokes equally, or just one?

Should I stretch out my underwater or breakout early? I'm not sure, but I think I am faster on the surface when all out, but maybe longer underwaters would delay upper body fatigue?

Also I breathe on every stroke right from the start even though I don't have to. I am thinking it may help in finishing the race by improving the aerobic component and delaying or reducing lactic acid buildup. Does this help, or should I breathe every other stroke until my body says to do it every stroke?

Alot of questions, but racing is new to me. Thanks for the advice!!!

scyfreestyler
December 21st, 2006, 08:58 PM
I try to hold back a bit from my 50 pace until the last 25 of a 100 SCY race. Then I give it all I have...sometimes I have more to give and sometimes the full throttle does nothing! I would say that I relax my strokes a bit more than my kicks but that might be in my head.

I breathe every other stroke for the first 75 and then try to limit it to 2 breaths on the way home. In a 50 I try to limit my breathing to 2 strokes in each direction. Increased stamina will allow you to trim those things down but that would require more time than I have to spare.

Oh yeah, your breakouts. You have to know when you are slowing to a pace that is slower than your surface swimming speed. Once I feel I am nearly to that point I will begin to surface and hopefully extract all the time underwater that I could have. All of these nuances take a lot of time and effort to perfect but they can have a substantial effect on time reduction.

valhallan
December 21st, 2006, 09:19 PM
Swim fast and loose. Pace yourself with just a bit of control. You don't want to be spent at the 75 mark. The first 50 should be around a second off your best 50 time...and the back half should be paced about 2 and a half to 3 seconds off of that.

A good rule of thumb is...take your best 50 time....double it...and add 3 seconds. This formula has always been a fairly accurate guage of what kind of time you'll produce...assuming you're in good condition.

Streamline off of every turn. Any drag created by poor streamline is magnified when you're moving fast. What you do in practice...you will do in a race.

Ande has some very helpful hints on this topic.

knelson
December 22nd, 2006, 12:46 AM
The very best 100 freestylers in the world go all out right from the start. I think this is generally a good strategy (even though I have trouble following it myself). You're not going to chase down anyone in a 100 free. You've got to take it from the get go.

scyfreestyler
December 22nd, 2006, 01:14 AM
The very best 100 freestylers in the world go all out right from the start. I think this is generally a good strategy (even though I have trouble following it myself). You're not going to chase down anyone in a 100 free. You've got to take it from the get go.

These things are all relative. I have seen plenty of swimmers lose steam in a 100 Free race because they took it out a bit too hard. Your theory is certainly true for the best of the best, but for those who are in this for fun there needs to be some strategy involved if you plan on swimming a balanced race.

waves101
December 22nd, 2006, 08:31 AM
The 100 free is my best and favorite event. I've probably swum it in 100's of races. What works for me is a strong, long and well controlled (but fast) first 50 breathing every other stroke. At the 50 wall explode off the wall and think "build to the finish" breathe off the wall and then every other into the middle of the pool. Grab an extra breath before the flags and then go crazy after the 75 turn. It's all out to the finish. The quality of the stroke is out the window its just finish fast and hard. Swim like you have to finish 5 yards further away than the wall. Yes, you jam a few fingers but the 50 and 100 are measured in tenths (if not hundredths). When I am in peak form, my 50 splits will be within 1 to 1.5 seconds of each other. Good Luck. Experiment in a few small meets to see what works best for you.

FlyQueen
December 22nd, 2006, 08:49 AM
From what I've been told, by a fantastic coach, back off the kick a bit (and apprently just a bit) in the first 25. It shouldn't be super noticeable to anyone but yourself. Then go for it. Over do the arms in the first 25, too.

I tend to go out hard and die. I don't know if it exactly works for me or not, but I can't back off easily. (Even just a little) I figure it works well for Jason Lezak, so why not ... note: it is very painful!

rtodd
December 22nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
It sounds like relaxing just a bit in the first 50 may be the thing to do. I guess it depends on the splits. If the splits are too even, then go out harder. Last 100 race I went 31/37 and my 50 time was 29, so I definately backed off a little and still gassed out bad at the end. That was last year and since then I have been training my base. I think it will be completely different this year.

I didn't realize that you should breathe every other for the whole race and then less in the last 25! I find myself wanting air on every stroke towards the end, I guess I should resist and just hold it. Does breathing really slow you down?

FlyQueen
December 22nd, 2006, 09:27 AM
It sounds like relaxing just a bit in the first 50 may be the thing to do. I guess it depends on the splits. If the splits are too even, then go out harder. Last 100 race I went 31/37 and my 50 time was 29, so I definately backed off a little and still gassed out bad at the end. That was last year and since then I have been training my base. I think it will be completely different this year.

I didn't realize that you should breathe every other for the whole race and then less in the last 25! I find myself wanting air on every stroke towards the end, I guess I should resist and just hold it. Does breathing really slow you down?

Breathing definitely slows you down ... I actually think you should breathe every 4 for the whole race, until the last 15-25 yards. Try and get your head down at least once you hit the flags and no more breaths!

There are all sorts of ways of swimming the 100. Your splits ideally should be within 1-2 seconds of each other with the first 1-1.5 off of your 50.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Paul Smith
December 22nd, 2006, 09:41 AM
We will each bring our own strengths/weaknessses to this distance as we would any other.....those jackrabbit/fast twitch types (like evil-Smith) will bust out 100% off the start and usually die somewhere at toward the end of the race.....others (like me) who don't have that same physiology will build even in a 100 (the 50 as well, but only for 1-2 strokes).....sometimes John will hold me off...sometimes I run him down.....!

Contrary to much of the popular thinking....sprinting is very much a tempo thing....some people think "go fast" and often times that results in loss of technique from the extra effort......instead its about staying smooth and powerful.

FlyQueen
December 22nd, 2006, 09:43 AM
Paul your dog is adorable, always nice to hear advice from the elite masters swimmers, too!