PDA

View Full Version : What are the best paddles to use to scrape ice?

Michael Heather
December 22nd, 2006, 01:03 AM
I use Strokemakers, but they aren't very efficient. Too many curves, not enough straight edges. Brrr.

scyfreestyler
December 22nd, 2006, 01:17 AM
For those occassions in which ice forms on my windshield, as it did this past week, I have two choices. I can sit in my vehicle and sip coffee while the defroster does it's thing or I can grab my garden hose and spray the windshield with water to melt the ice as the wipers are slapping back and forth. I am going to tell you that 9 times out of 10 you will find me in my pickup drinking coffee for about 5 minutes waiting for things to clear up on their own.

Sam Perry
December 22nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Move to Arizona, no worries about it then. Paddles for swimming only!

SwimStud
December 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
More importantly are you using correct scraping technique? We wouldn't want you on the shoulder injury thread because of this!!!

Caped Crusader
December 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
This thread is quite funny. Paddles are for dog paddlers.

Caped Crusader
December 22nd, 2006, 10:23 AM
More importantly are you using correct scraping technique? We wouldn't want you on the shoulder injury thread because of this!!!

Do you have a sore shoulder from breaststoke?! I gotta give you the :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse:

SwimStud
December 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
Do you have a sore shoulder from breaststoke?! I gotta give you the :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse:

I see the word "paddle" brings out the S&M in you eh???
Naughty, naughty!

:rofl:

poolraat
December 22nd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Those rectangular speedo ones are good. They come in a variety of sizes and colors to suit your fancy. I'm wondering if shoveling the driveway is bad for the shoulder. Probably is. Mine are a bit sore. Maybe I should teach the wife how the shovel works.

SwimStud
December 22nd, 2006, 11:12 AM
Those rectangular speedo ones are good. They come in a variety of sizes and colors to suit your fancy. I'm wondering if shoveling the driveway is bad for the shoulder. Probably is. Mine are a bit sore. Maybe I should teach the wife how the shovel works.

Women are good at shovelling...my wife is always shovelling lots of things onto my plate!
:)

The Fortress
December 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Women are good at shovelling...my wife is always shovelling lots of things onto my plate!:)

Don't you cook? I thought you were going for Dad-of-the-Year?

I do not shovel. Either possible use of that verb. Shoveling is bad for shoulders. That's what children are for.

Caped Crusader
December 22nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
I see the word "paddle" brings out the S&M in you eh???Naughty, naughty!:rofl:

Maybe your wife should paddle you? After you shovel a little more work on her plate?

nkfrench
December 22nd, 2006, 11:41 AM
I think there is a law here in Texas that if it is below 32F and there is precipitation, then it is a play-hooky-from-work or -school day and the only driving allowed is to pick up beer and videos.

SwimStud
December 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Don't you cook? I thought you were going for Dad-of-the-Year?

I do not shovel. Either possible use of that verb. Shoveling is bad for shoulders. That's what children are for.

I bet you paddle though...I'll have to have a chat with Mr Fortress (if he is allowed out of hiding) at the Colonies.

I do cook. I am decent cook and I enjoy it, unitl the Mrs butts in and starts getting in my way.

If you like Baklava, I'll make some and bring to the Colonies...if I come.

SwimStud
December 22nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
Maybe your wife should paddle you? After you shovel a little more work on her plate?

My dear wife is "strong like bull" but she's beautiful with it...she'd manage if we had to go farmy and self sufficient.
If only she'd swim more...nearly drowning as a kid has really had her scared ever since.

Maybe my studly pecs will eventually encourage her to the pool...

The Fortress
December 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
I bet you paddle though...I'll have to have a chat with Mr Fortress (if he is allowed out of hiding) at the Colonies.

How many times do I have to say it? Must I always repeat myself? I don't use big paddles. Ever. They are bad for shoulders. :dedhorse: Can anyone possibly disagree with this statement? I will have to go on a crusade against paddles. :rofl:

Mr. Fortress can stay home and watch the kids. I want to hang out in the hot tub and chat with my own friends. Maybe he'll have a :drink: later.

laineybug
December 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
what yall talking about... haven't seen any form of frozen precip in 15 years.

poolraat
December 22nd, 2006, 12:12 PM
what yall talking about... haven't seen any form of frozen precip in 15 years.

I want to live where you live.
I just spent the last 2 hours cleaning snow off cars, driveways, & sidewalks.

Hey Fortress, How to you get kids to do it?:dedhorse:

I tell them to help and I get all kinds of excuses.

The Fortress
December 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Hey Fortress, How to you get kids to do it?
I tell them to help and I get all kinds of excuses.

Well, my kids are not yet of driving age. So if they want to be driven somewhere, like to practice or a friend's house, they might need to help out. Plus, Mr. Fortress doesn't like to shovel all by himself.

There are also many other cruel and unusual punishments that do not violate the 8th Amendment. For example, I could just stay on this forum 24/7 and that would mean they can't get on the computer and IM with their buddies or listen to itunes. (No other computers or laptops in the house. I don't want my kids going to myspace or some other evil space. I know my daughter's passwords. I check her aol history to see where she's been.) Cell phones and ipods can likewise always be taken away. Also, my kids are always very hungry and, unlike Mr. Rich, I don't like to cook anymore. So they have to be nice to me if they want all their meals and snacks. I can even get them to take out the garbage and recycling with these ploys.

What the heck does that G stand for?

poolraat
December 22nd, 2006, 12:26 PM

Didn't I read on another thread that you're from Minnesota?

:rofl: :rofl:

SwimStud
December 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM

GERONIMO!!!!!!!

It's the shout Floyd makes on his dives!! :banana:

The Fortress
December 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
Didn't I read on another thread that you're from Minnesota?

:rofl: :rofl:

Poolraat:

We don't use paddles in MN. I have had the state government enact extensive regulations prohibiting and/or limiting their usage in swimming pools. They also come with warnings and labels and whatnot. We need to avoid any more of those epidemics. :rofl:

Yes, I grew up in MN. I was dragged there kicking and screaming for my father's job. Then I was foolish enough to go to his alma mater in NH and then to law school in IL. As a result of all this foolishness, I now cannot bear snow and cold weather. I hate snowmobiling. And because I was so busy swimming, I never learned to ski or ice skate, which is apparently the only fun thing to do outside in cold weather.

FlyQueen
December 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
Poolraat:

We don't use paddles in MN. I have had the state government enact extensive regulations prohibiting and/or limiting their usage in swimming pools. They also come with warnings and labels and whatnot. We need to avoid any more of those epidemics. :rofl:

Yes, I grew up in MN. I was dragged there kicking and screaming for my father's job. Then I was foolish enough to go to his alma mater in NH and then to law school in IL. As a result of all this foolishness, I now cannot bear snow and cold weather. I hate snowmobiling. And because I was so busy swimming, I never learned to ski or ice skate, which is apparently the only fun thing to do outside in cold weather.

What school?

The Fortress
December 22nd, 2006, 12:35 PM
What school?

Good god. Have I not divulged enough personal information on this forum lately? Pretty soon everyone will be able to track me down even though my name does not appear here. Suffice to say that I love Chicago even though it's so freakin' cold. I'll PM you.

poolraat
December 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
I now cannot bear snow and cold weather. I hate snowmobiling. And because I was so busy swimming, I never learned to ski or ice skate, which is apparently the only fun thing to do outside in cold weather.

I know how you feel. I don't do outdoor winter sports either. And the older I get the more I dislike winter. I now know why my parents are snowbirds.

Regarding your question about the "G". Either you chose to ignore my dig or you don't follow football.

The Fortress
December 22nd, 2006, 12:42 PM
I know how you feel. I don't do outdoor winter sports either. And the older I get the more I dislike winter. I now know why my parents are snowbirds.

Regarding your question about the "G". Either you chose to ignore my dig or you don't follow football.

Very funny Poolraat. I did grow up watching Fran Tarkenton. I just had too much sake last night with Rich, I guess. I hope you don't really root for those guys. Where are you going to retire to get away from the white stuff? No ice for me yet this year. But it will come.

geochuck
December 22nd, 2006, 12:50 PM
In parts of Canada we use the pick axe to remove the ice from wind shields. In Mexico I use windex and a paper towel.

poolraat
December 22nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Very funny Poolraat. I did grow up watching Fran Tarkenton. I just had too much sake last night with Rich, I guess. I hope you don't really root for those guys. Where are you going to retire to get away from the white stuff? No ice for me yet this year. But it will come.

My wife is from Wisconsin. Need I say more?

Unless I win the lottery or Megabucks, I'm stuck at this desk until the kids are through school. (Unless I can find a good job for my wife:rofl: :rofl: )

islandsox
December 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Good Grief,

What are all you people drinking today, or are you all on a sugar high!!! Lord. I thought this was about paddles so I am going to get back to it.

I haven't seen any ice here in the tropics yet, but if I was from St. Olaf, I would always wake up wondering if "this is the day."

My husband has the paddles in our family. His feet are size 8 and almost perfectly square; when you meet him and look down, you start laughing. Thank goodness we didn't have children, especially girl children, can you imagine the complexes they would have had? Whew, that was a close one.

Oh, but he used to be a butterflyer, not a butterfrogger or butterstruggler.

Donna

The Fortress
December 22nd, 2006, 10:53 PM
What are all you people drinking today, or are you all on a sugar high!!! Lord. I thought this was about paddles so I am going to get back to it.

Oh, but he used to be a butterflyer, not a butterfrogger or butterstruggler.Donna

You married a butterflyer with paddles when you could have had a freestyler with a smooth chest?!:rofl:

St. Olaf is a good school too, just like Macalaster, smarty pants. Have you even ventured to MN? Or did you just hang out in Texas and get sun burned?

islandsox
December 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Fortress,

No, I have NEVER been to St. Olaf, but Rose Nyland on the Golden Girls has and she is a blubbering idiot!!:rofl::rofl:

Hey, that new avatar, is that Steve Prefontaine?

islandsox

The Fortress
December 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
Fortress,
No, I have NEVER been to St. Olaf, but Rose Nyland on the Golden Girls has and she is a blubbering idiot!!:rofl::rofl:
Hey, that new avatar, is that Steve Prefontaine?
islandsox

Now, you deserved to paddled for insulting schools in my childhood state. Yes, it's Pre. Doesn't he make your heart just twittlepaddle? Are you getting some paddling in the OW today or being a coach potato?

islandsox
December 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
Yes, I am a coach potato today, will be a couch potato tonight. Swimming starts Tuesday. Waiting for my husband and his paddles to return from his airport office.

islandsox

Muppet
December 25th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Awesome use of the dead horses :)

A good anti-ice strategery is to put a trashbag over your windshield. Cut the bag down the sides so it is one long piece of plastic, then anchor to your car by closing each end inbetween the front door and the windshield. Looks a little on the trashy side (pun intended), but works quite well...