PDA

View Full Version : 1st.race in 27 yrs.

Concho Pearl
December 22nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Well, I did it!! My first meet (race) in 27yrs. It was fun,truely fun. The meet was an informal race at our local HS. Only about 10 alumni racing and the rest was the local HS swim team.

With only 6 months of training, no coach and only getting to the pool 2-3 times a week - avg. about 1700 - 2000 yds per session.

I raced 25yd free time-14.77
50 yd free time - 30.24 breathing once before the turn and I think twice on last lap - :woot:

And 2 relays 25yd each - swam freestyle in those.

I'm glad I didn't do the 100 free and 50 back, because the race was small and there wasn't enough rest time between the events.

My short term goal is to get my 50's under 30 secs.
And my 100 as close to 1 min as possible. My 100 still need more work in practice pushing off the wall I'm at 1:12 -1:15.

And it's true doing 50yds is all out 100% no thinking allowed - except for hindsight!!

I can enter a local HS meet in April with a time trial in March.
The HS Coach is great, he's going to email some workouts and said to come by as much as I want to work out as long as it from 5:00 -6:00 Mon-Thurs.

SwimStud
December 22nd, 2006, 11:51 AM
Well, I did it!! My first meet (race) in 27yrs. It was fun,truely fun. The meet was an informal race at our local HS. Only about 10 alumni racing and the rest was the local HS swim team.

With only 6 months of training, no coach and only getting to the 2-3 times a week - avg. about 1700 - 2000 yds per session.

50 yd free time - 30.24 breathing once before the turn and I think twice on last lap - :woot:

I'm glad I didn't do the 100 free and 50 back, because the race was small and there wasn't enough rest time between the events.

And my 100 as close to 1 min as possible. My 100 still need more work in practice pushing off the wall I'm at 1:12 -1:15.

And it's true doing 50yds is all out 100% no thinking allowed - except for hindsight!!

The HS Coach is great, he's going to email some workouts and said to come by as much as I want to work out as long as it from 5:00 -6:00 Mon-Thurs.

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.

scyfreestyler
December 22nd, 2006, 11:53 AM
That is great news! Congrats to you!

The Fortress
December 22nd, 2006, 11:54 AM

With only 6 months of training, no coach and only getting to the pool 2-3 times a week - avg. about 1700 - 2000 yds per session.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: I knew you looked good in that video!

FlyQueen
December 22nd, 2006, 11:59 AM
CONGRATS!!! Great job! Doesn't it feel awesome to race? I LOVE IT! Keep us updated on your progress!

poolraat
December 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
That is awesome!! Congratulations.

islandsox
December 22nd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Concho Pearl, :applaud::applaud:

I am thrilled hearing your success story. A meet it still a meet regardless if you considered it small or not. So much experience is gained and I think your times sound wonderful to me. The best part of this is you walked away from it inspired and there is a whole lot of light at the end of that tunnel.

Now you know your capabilities, you have a coach who will give you workouts, and can now settle in and work on those things you want to make better. Without a swim meet, we sometimes don't know what we need to work on.

Congratulations!!!

Donna

swim4me
December 22nd, 2006, 06:11 PM
Awsome, and you did it on your own without a coach! Incredible! Keep up the good work! :)

okoban
December 23rd, 2006, 11:36 AM
You are a very good sprinter, you should try 50 butterfly or backstroke events also. Congratulations.

jaegermeister
December 23rd, 2006, 11:31 PM
This is fabulous!!!

Here's a challenge to everyone: bring someone new to your next meet. They will be scared, intimated, embarrassed (unless they've mastered all of Ande's tips) but by the end of the day and all of the fun:drink: why wouldn't they want to come back for more?

I don't know about other places but in Minnesota we don't have enough masters swimmers. Maybe we're too well adjusted to have mid-life crises.