PDA

View Full Version : What gift do you want for the holidays?

Caped Crusader
December 23rd, 2006, 09:39 AM
What do you want for the holidays? I'll be like Warren and permit multiple choices. Let's just not pick everything folks or the poll will be flawed.

The Fortress
December 23rd, 2006, 10:52 AM
Thank you for the multiple choices. I didn't need to vote for diamond calves. I don't think any breaststrokers in kilts will need to either. :rofl: I will take a TI clinic though.

SwimStud
December 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
I went for losing 10lbs...and meeting my favourite posters...that would be neat.

joy
December 23rd, 2006, 11:35 AM
A 60" Panasonic Plazma TV so I can watch all the swimming programs up close and personal. Why didn't u have that on there. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.

poolraat
December 23rd, 2006, 11:46 AM
What I want isn't here, either. I want a coach and someone to swim with. It's so difficult to stay motivated doing this alone.

SwimStud
December 23rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
What I want isn't here, either. I want a coach and someone to swim with. It's so difficult to stay motivated doing this alone.

Floyd. I use all you guys to keep me motivated. Share your training and accomplishments.

I would too like to have a masters swim group to be in the water with but it isn't feasible right now. However, if my local Y build the 50Y pool with spectator seating I think there will be more swimmers coming to that Y and should be able to get a enough for a team.

gull
December 23rd, 2006, 12:23 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who selected TI Clinic.

The Fortress
December 23rd, 2006, 01:34 PM

I'm sure someone else will want to come with us. Doesn't everyone want to see what all the fuss is about? And how else can one learn butterfrog? In fact, I think Terry should send us forumites his new book as a holiday gift. I might want to go to the TI triathlon clinic so I can do Chi Running as well. I do own that book, so I don't need that one.

islandsox
December 23rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
You people are nuts!!! There was no chocolate on that list; I can't get chocolate down here, thanks loads!!!

Poolrat, we are in the same boat: we swim alone so from now on, as I am swimming mile after mile, around the bight and around the bight, I will think of you.

A TI Clinic? Why? Are you two trying to convert to easy, slow swimming in the ocean? I think Terry should give away discount passes to his clinics to forum swimmers for Christmas, like a lottery drawing. Charity work is very humbling and good for the soul. I'm giving all of my monies being raised for my long swim to Alzheimer's.

No chocolate?:frustrated:

Islandsox

The Fortress
December 23rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
You people are nuts!!! There was no chocolate on that list; I can't get chocolate down here, thanks loads!!!

Charity work is very humbling and good for the soul. I'm giving all of my monies being raised for my long swim to Alzheimer's.

Islandsox

I woulda sent you chocolate along with that book if you had just asked. :rofl: You better send me your book when it's done. Or at least email me your scholarly article.

I did point out on the "Biggest Loser" thread that there is a study showing that altruism helps you live longer.

jaegermeister
December 23rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
I want a heated pool so here in Minnesota we can do outdoor workouts year round.

poolraat
December 23rd, 2006, 03:15 PM

Poolrat, we are in the same boat: we swim alone so from now on, as I am swimming mile after mile, around the bight and around the bight, I will think of you.

A TI Clinic? Why? Are you two trying to convert to easy, slow swimming in the ocean? I think Terry should give away discount passes to his clinics to forum swimmers for Christmas, like a lottery drawing. Charity work is very humbling and good for the soul. I'm giving all of my monies being raised for my long swim to Alzheimer's.

No chocolate?:frustrated:

Islandsox

Donna,

I would send some chocolate, but won't it melt in the heat?
I won't torture you by listing all the good chocolate goodies my wife makes every year for the holidays.:D

I use some of the TI drills. Like some others here, I'd like to attend a clinic just to see what all the fuss is about. I'm not sure it's all about easy slow swimming. Since starting to do the drills, I've dropped over 10 sec on my 100 free, more than 30 on my 500 free, and the last ow mile I did was low 24's. I guess it's all relative.

thewookiee
December 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM

There is one in Raleigh at the end of January. Not too far from Charlotte. You and Geek could attend together. I think the two of you will find the coach leading the workshop for that weekend, a good one to discuss ideals about swimming.

gull
December 23rd, 2006, 06:00 PM
There is one in Raleigh at the end of January. Not too far from Charlotte. You and Geek could attend together. I think the two of you will find the coach leading the workshop for that weekend, a good one to discuss ideals about swimming.

I will be (mindfully) swimming in Charlotte that weekend, smashing the Geek like a guitar.

thewookiee
December 23rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
I will be (mindfully) swimming in Charlotte that weekend, smashing the Geek like a guitar.

The last time I heard about someone that was going to smash a group like guitars, the Aussies ended up playing guitars in Hall's face. lol
Well, then there is the opportunity in March or come to Nashville in Feb. MMMMM....maybe I will come to the meet in Charlotte to see who gets smashed.

gull
December 23rd, 2006, 06:32 PM
I think I'll need to register for the TI clinic using an assumed name.

$495???

jaegermeister
December 23rd, 2006, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE=islandsox;71833]You people are nuts!!! There was no chocolate on that list; I can't get chocolate down here, thanks loads!!!

Islandsox-

That's a great avatar you've posted. It looks like a scene from Bascom Hill in Madison. Where'd you get your inspiration.

I want a custom avatar for Christmas. This Hobbes clip isn't bad, though. Calvin and Hobbes is absolutely the BEST read for anyone with sons.

Warren
December 23rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
I want a 21 low in 50 free for xmas.

The Fortress
December 24th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I think I'll need to register for the TI clinic using an assumed name.

$495???

I'm with you there, Gull. I think I'll be John Smith. Wait, that name's already taken. I'll think of a dull girl name. I do believe we deserve a discount for all those TI drills we mindfully do.

I think the last time I heard of someone smashing a guitar it came not from the mouth of Gary Hall, Jr., but from the brain of the Geek. So, Gull I hope you get to engage in the guitar smashing this next bout. I don't think you need any unsubstantiated supplements to do it.

SwimStud
December 24th, 2006, 12:25 AM
I'm only about 1hr from New Paltz... for $495 I'd blow the extra $50 and go 1 on 1

The Fortress
December 25th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I want a heated pool so here in Minnesota we can do outdoor workouts year round.

Tom:

How the heck is heat going to help you swim at Soldier's Field in the winter?! How do you plan to keep out the non-stop piles of snow and sleet? Just go the Rec Center. Much cozier.

I wanted a shooter monofin for the holidays, and I got one, so I'm all happy.:agree:

jaegermeister
December 26th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Tom:

How the heck is heat going to help you swim at Soldier's Field in the winter?! How do you plan to keep out the non-stop piles of snow and sleet?

What snow? There is no snow in Minnesota. We're lucky if it gets below freezing at night. The teenagers are running around in shorts and flip flops (of course no hats) and we can't even yell at them!

m2tall2
December 27th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I technically got my 10 pounds gift. I started a concentrated effort to loose weight a couple days before Halloween. And here it is right in the middle of holiday week and I have lost 13 pounds since then.

YAY!

Now I want some personal bests at my next meet since I don't have to lug as much of me through the water!

islandsox
December 27th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I'm jealous of Michelle, I just don't like to be hungry so I can't lose a pound, but maybe I will during my training for Utila. We don't have the proper foods here (vegetables) to help this effort, everything is starch, starch, and more starch (sigh).

But since you others mentioned snow. Let's get serious here. I have a small story. I went to a swim meet in Amarillo, Texas in the early 70s. It was an outdoor, heated pool. It snowed and there was snow and ice in the pool and so much steam coming off of it, you couldn't see the end, nor could you see the backstroke flags. It wasn't a white-out, but pretty close. Talk about swimming blind. There are pictures of us swimmers going off starting blocks that had snow on them. And all of the timers were bundled up. We must have looked like we lost our minds, but as swimmers, we are OCP (obsessive-compulsive-people). Admit it, we are.

This story reminds me of the one that my dad told of having to walk 10 miles in the snow to get to school; we've all heard that one.

What do I want for the holidays? Chocolate and some kind of swim headphones so I won't get bored when I start the training for a long one. I know, this is my 2nd answer to this thread, but you guys started it with the snow thing.

Donna

SwimStud
December 27th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I technically got my 10 pounds gift. I started a concentrated effort to loose weight a couple days before Halloween. And here it is right in the middle of holiday week and I have lost 13 pounds since then.

YAY!

Now I want some personal bests at my next meet since I don't have to lug as much of me through the water!

You gonna come race me at the Westport meet 200 BR??? :applaud: