PDA

View Full Version : Treading water

SwimStud
December 26th, 2006, 08:29 AM
OK, "Bored at work" question:

Does anyone here implement treading water as part of their training routine? If so, how so?

islandsox
December 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I don't anymore, but I used to when I swam for San Mateo Masters Marlins. We would tread water with our arms out of the water-overhead; I thought it was great fun since I am a natural "floater."

Donna

SwimStud
December 26th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I don't anymore, but I used to when I swam for San Mateo Masters Marlins. We would tread water with our arms out of the water-overhead; I thought it was great fun since I am a natural "floater."

Donna

Well I need something extra because I can't crawl well enough (and I have an injury that hurts when I kick for crawl--I may do pulls just from and exercise point of view but that is not ideal) and I don't want to swim too many breast laps slowly etc.

BlackDove
December 27th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I just recently learned the eggbeater kick to tread water and use it as active rest in between laps.

http://isjaw.blogspot.com

aztimm
December 27th, 2006, 11:53 AM
We'll sometimes do a vertical kicking set, maybe once a week. A few times through (maybe 4x) where they are 1 minute on, 15 seconds rest. The last 15 seconds of the minute your arms are supposed to be up high (the first 45 seconds just hands out of water).

These are supposed to be either flutter or dolphin kick (free or fly), and when my arms go up, my head sinks down. I can do eggbeater or breast kick all day, even with my chest coming out of the water, but these others are very challenging for me.

Not sure exactly what the point is, other than a break from actual swimming. If I put some effort into it (I really need to), I feel it in my stomach afterwards.

FlyQueen
December 28th, 2006, 02:20 PM
We used to do vertical kicking, sadly my current pool isn't deep enough, even for me to vertical kick ... It's a good leg/kick workout and a nice break from just swimming back and forth ... what about pulling free with a bouy?

cathym
December 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I broke a bone in my foot and have been unable to run so I have been doing vertical kicking and deep water running 3 times a week. It is a great workout. Now that it is winter there is rarely more than one other person in the pool so it is peaceful and quiet. It is the nicest time of the year for running in Florida so I miss that. Wonder if I am going to be able to build my tolerance for cool water. Today I swam for 1 hour 15 minutes in 77 degree water and it seemed to take me a long time to rewarm. I would like to do some of the open water swims on the west coast this summer but I am afraid I won't be able to tolerate the water temp for more than 30 minutes.

lapswimmr
December 28th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Treading water is a very good exercise. 10 minutes of it is great.

SwimStud
December 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Treading water is a very good exercise. 10 minutes of it is great.

Training around a little pull at the moment so crawl kicking is OUT.
I did 4 mins treading today as a warm-up for my legs. I'd do moderate for 1:30 then no arms for the next 30 seconds.
I did some crawl pulls for my upper body.
It worked well.