PDA

View Full Version : How often do you blow chow in practice?

gull
December 26th, 2006, 03:25 PM
How often do you blow chow in practice?

Brian Stack
December 26th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Ewwww! Serious violation of Manatee Rule #1: No Chunks In The Pool!!!
:shakeshead:

SwimStud
December 26th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Belching is 70% of my workout...

I can leave it 1.5 hours after eating and still chuck into my mouth a little bit as I approach a mile...even at slow pace...

valhallan
December 26th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Evidently..the moderator is on vacation. ;) But to answer your poll. Never.

Not to change your topic...but anyone who has experienced the horror of changing baby diapers (on the bad days) would agree that a little left over food in the pool is nothing serious.

The board of health may tend to disagree.

Warren
December 26th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I ran 2 miles right after dinner one time because I wanted to get in a run before dark. I threw up in my front yard after I finished.

Muppet
December 27th, 2006, 11:10 AM
nice poll! never happened, but I have been close. I usually practice 6 hours after my last meal, so it's not usually a problem.
:dedhorse:

Caped Crusader
December 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Inane poll. Still great. Sometimes in training. Always feel close after a race. I'll throw an inane emoticon in because Muppet and I like them.

:dedhorse::dedhorse:

islandsox
December 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Inane poll :rofl::rofl:.

I agree with another here: ewwwww.....but I have never encountered this and thank the Lord for that.

donna

aquageek
December 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I see Pigeon80 is spreading grinch-esque falsehoods concerned the dubious red speedo.

I've never hurled at swim practice but I did make a grown doctor cry once in 2006.

SwimStud
December 27th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I've never hurled at swim practice but I did make a grown doctor cry once in 2006.

...the Red speedos effect?

/duck

:rofl: :rofl:

gull
December 27th, 2006, 01:02 PM
The Race Club had a competition for the best blow chow set on their discussion forum. I forget what the prize was, but there were some good entries.

For the record, I haven't cried at a swim meet since I was about 8.

SwimStud
December 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM
The Race Club had a competition for the best blow chow set on their discussion forum. I forget what the prize was, but there were some good entries.

Was it like figure skating;a techinical score and then a score for artistic expression?
:wave:

gull
December 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Here's the link, if you dare:

http://www.theraceclub.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=129

Seagurl51
December 27th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Where's the option for the lifeguards who've had to clean it up?

m2tall2
December 27th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks for posting this. I've wondered myself whether I'm not working hard enough as it appears from other posts people have problems with this regularly.

I wonder what causes this? Is it really the amount of work you are putting on your system or is it more often just an array of digestion problems?

knelson
December 28th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Can't say I've ever felt like I was going to throw up due to swimming or any other athletic event. This must be one of those personal things. Some people get nauseous from working really hard, others don't.

aztimm
December 28th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Only once did I feel like I was going to throw up after swimming.... Was still swimming evenings, at 5:30 or so. It was a Friday in summer, I showed up and the pool was set up long course. Mark Gill (who was one of our coaches then) asked if I wanted a really long set, I said sure. I did a short warm-up (maybe 300 or so), then did a 2500 for time. I don't remember how long it took me, then I did a short warm-down (again 2-300). I pulled myself out of the pool, felt fine. Then Mark asked didn't I feel sick. All of a sudden the tuna sandwich I ate for lunch stirred around in my stomach...not quite out of me, but it started on its way up.

Since I switched to mornings (about 5 years ago), I don't eat before workouts and have never had an issue.

Concho Pearl
December 28th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Never.....but seeing a man wearing a red string bikini speedo on Sat. mornings makes you come close...

poolraat
December 28th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Never.....but seeing a man wearing a red string bikini speedo on Sat. mornings makes you come close...

I would never wear something like that, but I'll bet Rich would.

SwimStud
December 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I would never wear something like that, but I'll bet Rich would.

HEY!
OK I would but only after I lose 10lbs, get a tan and wax :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

scyfreestyler
December 29th, 2006, 10:47 AM
A friend of mine got sick a few years ago when I brought him to the pool for the first time. Simple overexertion was to blame but he was kind enough to pay attention to the impending feeling and get out of the pool. The flowerbeds on the sun deck got the punishment instead of the pool that day.

I've been close but never had an issue. It takes a combination of water that is too warm and some hard swimming to get me there.

FlyQueen
December 29th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I actually just remembered that at my first ever intersquad meet I swam back to back events since I was one of the only ones that could swim fly so I did a 100 free, then a 50 fly - apparently chugging gatorade in between was a bad idea, I missed the last relay because I was busy in the bathroom ...

swim4me
December 29th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I was thinking about this thread this morning in practice. We were doing 16 X 75 Free sprints with 15 seconds rest. I really push myself and slammed into the wall with nausea more than once. The nausea seems to hit me when I swim extremely hard sprints over a period of time (during a single practice).

ande
December 29th, 2006, 11:25 AM
never, rarely,
If I barfed in practice I'd write about it

some swimmers I swam with used to get
so nervous in meets that they'd throw up

ande

Sam Perry
December 30th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I did one time at The Woodlands relay meet. They used to conclude the meet with a beer relay. You had to drink a 12 oz. cup of beer and then sprint a 50. Man, I had no idea it would come up so quickly, but alas it did. Thankfully the gutter system was working well that day, because I wasn't the only one to lose my beer.

They no longer do that race due to insurance and liability issues, but when they did it was a kick!

poolraat
December 30th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Never as a swimmer. Probably because I'm a comfort swimmer. But as a runner, twice. As a junior in HS after finishing the 880 at the state meet. And the following year after the mile at state.

zyzyzzy
January 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM

The only time I do is if I'm taking a breath, and someone kicks, forcing me to inhale too much water... (mostly during butterfly or the choice sets)

scwids
January 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Not in practice, but during a race it's a guaranteed occurrance. Salt water makes me horribly sick, and for some insane reason, I love doing open water events. I am getting very skilled at puking and swimming simultaneously.

:dunno:

AnnG
January 6th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I sometimes have to swim in a 20 yd club pool to get my practices as my main pool is a 20 mile drive. They keep it so hot I have to modify my sets because I start feeling very sick, queasy with a headache. Instead of a longer main set I will do two smaller sets with a little recovery swim in between and a much longer "cool" down at the end. Last week the temp was 92 degrees! Nearly impossible for swimming but great for the bathers standing around. I swim anyway.

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Oh boy I got close today...:eek:

Muppet
January 8th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Oh boy I got close today...:eek:

I was hoping I would today; actually was thinking of the posting for this thread... I had a massive headache going into practice, and the chow blowing sure would have helped... 3x500 should have helped too. Alas.

Ivor
January 9th, 2007, 07:25 AM
When I returned to swimming as a master I promised myself I never would and (so far at least) I never have.

Although on the couple of occasions that someone has discovered a 'Code Brown' in the pool I have wanted to.

SwimStud
January 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM
When I returned to swimming as a master I promised myself I never would and (so far at least) I never have.

Although on the couple of occasions that someone has discovered a 'Code Brown' in the pool I have wanted to.

OH IVOR! ewwwww

ROFL

It was only a picnic bar...

swimshark
January 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Sadly, twice. Both times while I was pregnant. The first was during warm-ups at Savannah Nationals. Luckily, I was on my back so it never actually came out. Second time was in practice a few months later. My lanemates didn't mind so we kept going. Needless to say, after that I was put on anti-nausea medicine by my doctor. I have never blown chunks because of practice, only because of my son. :)

Alison

Muppet
January 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM

Code Brown - that is hilarious!!!:rofl: