PDA

View Full Version : Goggle recs?

~Wren~
December 26th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Okay, I'm going to age myself with this but . . . I used to use the Speedo goggles with the foam around the edges (yes, way back when), and they never wrecked my eyes. Now, every pair I try either gives me awful raccoon eyes, or leaves my poor eyes feeling bruised. :( Can anyone recommend something comfortable?

USMSarah
December 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Try any goggle that has a silicon gasket - like the Speedo Hydrospex or Women's Vanquisher. Very popular goggles... and quite comfortable. The best thing is to try them on in the store and get the best fit! Have fun!

islandsox
December 26th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Wren (Sarah),

I'm going to outdate you here; when I first swam there were NO goggles, but thank goodness there are now. For some reason, my face doesn't like Speedo, it likes Tyr goggles; I think it's because I have a thin nose and my eyes aren't set too far apart. However, the regular ole $9 Racetech Tyr goggles also are adjustable and don't have that foam eyepiece. Also it seems that the more expensive they are, my face doesn't like them. Tyr goggles are the only ones that don't leak and I don't have to have them tight to keep them on my eyes, even during starts.

But there are tons of goggles out there so have fun shopping. Try more than one kind!!

Donna

The Fortress
December 26th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Okay, I'm going to age myself with this but . . . I used to use the Speedo goggles with the foam around the edges (yes, way back when), and they never wrecked my eyes. Now, every pair I try either gives me awful raccoon eyes, or leaves my poor eyes feeling bruised. :( Can anyone recommend something comfortable?

There are still speedo goggles with foam that are very comfortable: Speedo GCGs. My daughter uses them and loves them. I use speed sockets because they don't leak, but they do leave racoon eyes.

SwimStud
December 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I found my vanquishers to be comfortable after an adjustment period. I remove mine to my forehead during my intervals...but I also remove them lowly by breaking the air seal.

However I did find these nice TYR ones...
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2751.htm

Good Luck

Rich

Warren
December 26th, 2006, 06:04 PM
vanquishers are good. dont get any off brands

Susan
December 26th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Speedo still advertises the old "Pro" style with foam gaskets. They're big and uncool, and I'm probably the only one who still wears them for practice. I use a different kind for meets.

~Wren~
December 26th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I found my vanquishers to be comfortable after an adjustment period. I remove mine to my forehead during my intervals...but I also remove them lowly by breaking the air seal.

However I did find these nice TYR ones...
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2751.htm

Good Luck

Rich

Wow, Rich, those were exactly what I was looking for! Thank You! :thhbbb:

I haven't had much luck with the vanquishers . . . I'll see if I can find the GCGs (thanks Fortress!) and give those a try.

~Wren~
December 26th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Speedo still advertises the old "Pro" style with foam gaskets. They're big and uncool, and I'm probably the only one who still wears them for practice. I use a different kind for meets.

Susan, looks like we posted at the same time, but those are the ones I used to use. Yay! You won't be the only one practicing in them anymore. Thanks!:)

waves101
December 27th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I also used the old Speedo foam gaskets for several years. When I came back to masters swimming I must have tried 20+ pairs and finally settled on the View Snipers. They stay good for much longer than any other I tried.

tjburk
December 28th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Speedo Futurity Jr for me. They are small, stay in the eye socket, never come off on the start. Usually under $10. Very comfortable. I used to use the Speedo Foam Goggle back in HS as well. Never used them in a race though, too easy to come off on the start.

swim4me
December 28th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I used to use the Speedo Foam Goggle back in HS as well. Never used them in a race though, too easy to come off on the start.

It is so nice to hear from people who are like me! My daughter swims and seeing the kids race with goggles in high school made me feel wimpy since I ever used them for racing in high school. You made me remember, we did not use them (Speedo Foam Goggle) because they always came off when diving in! I now use vanquishers now and just look like a racoon for the first few hours of work as I swim in the morning. (this way my co-workers know when to expect me to be especially 'bouncy' (endorphine high):wiggle:)

FlyQueen
December 28th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I use the Women's Vanquishers with a bungee strap instead of the plastic one they come with ... and I love them!

~Wren~
December 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Tracy and Kathy,
I trained in them in HS too, but I also raced in them. For IM starts I pulled the edge of my swim cap over the top to keep them on; for backstroke starts they never seemed to be an issue. :dunno: I'm just happy to have a pair on the way to me. I can't stand the vanquisher racoon eyes.

lapswimmr
December 28th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Barracudas either the Standard or smaller Medalist leave no marks. They do have to be adjusted and the trick is they have to be a bit snug at first. Advantages are also that they can be "rebuilt" like new with new foam gaskets and straps with a 6 dollar kit. A pair can last many years. As far as cost they were once "expensive" today almost all goggles are pushing 12-15 dollars the cudas are more. I like mine very much and have tried at least 12 different types plus the "Seal mask".

jaegermeister
December 29th, 2006, 12:19 AM
How about prescription goggles? I am so near-sighted that I couldn't even find a clock much less read it if I had standard goggles.
Our local scuba shop (yes, there is a scuba shop in Minnesota) sells a brand called "View" which are Japanese. The correction isn't custom - you just try out the test goggles in 1/2 diopter increments. I've actually found the fit and seal to be quite good. Plus, the bonus is that I can see.

lapswimmr
December 29th, 2006, 08:10 PM
The Barracuda goggles are available in many Rx's for swimmers, probably more then any other goggle check with your eye Dr or email them for details.