PDA

View Full Version : swimming new year resolutions

Warren
December 27th, 2006, 12:38 AM
What are your new years resolutions for swimming? Mine is to get on a regular practice schedule and stick with it.

also my goal times for the colonies zone scy champs are
50 free-21.3 going for top 10 for usms 18-24 age group
100 free-47.99 going for top 10
50 fly-23.75 going for top 10
100 breast- 1:02.99 might be good enough for top 10
100 IM-57.99
I wanted to swim 50 breast instead of IM but the 50 breast and 50 free are back to back with the 50 free being after breast. Im really trying to get a good time in the 50 free so im not doing 50 breast. Im mad about that becasue 50 breast is my second favorite event.

I also want to get in a LCM meet this summer.

islandsox
December 27th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Warren,

Ah, yes, new year's resolutions. Mine is to start working toward my training plan for an 18 mile swim in August of 2008. I start this in February and it has to continue, with small rest periods, up until July of 2008. This will be the longest training haul for me since back in the mid-60s. Next year, I will even have to swim in the ocean during storms which I have avoided this year. So these months right now, are my last to be lazy, and I am being very successful in this laziness.

Donna

Seagurl51
December 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM
To not embarass myself at Nationals....
Keep up with a training regime.....
Lose 5-10 pounds....

SwimStud
December 27th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Lose 5-10 pounds....

I'm with you on that one SG!!! Right after I finish gorging this weekend!
:rofl:

swim4me
December 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM
A slimmer me will be a faster me:D

marlenb
December 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Getting back in the pool after years of inconsistent swimming. Have packed on about 30 pounds and want it gone!

Donna
December 27th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Lose another 10-20 pounds (have already gone from 198 to 180 this past year)

In distance continue to drop
23:00 for the 1650
6:30 for the 500

Get my sprints back.
:29 for the 50 Free
1:05 for the 100 Free
:33 for the 50 Fly
Improve my starts.

That will be a successful year for me.

Donna

Larry_55
December 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Continue my quest for the most efficient stroke in each cagegory. Continue to improve my cardiovascular endurance potential.
Continue to gain distance, but not at the expense of efficiency or technique. Add more research to my training.
Add some aspects of cross training to my weekly workouts; ie running and get back to lifting slowly and sensibly.
Enjoy my new and improved fitness level.:D

Superfly
December 28th, 2006, 01:29 AM
200m IM <2.15 min
100m IM <1.01,50 min
100m fly <1.00 min
100m free <54s
50m fly <27s
50m breast <30,5s
50m free <25s
50m back <30s

...but since I am currently recovering from a serious knee cap incident I don't have a clue when I can go 100% again :(

Swedish Masters Championship is already in the end of March...hopefully I am back in business by then.

Best regards

/Per

fanstone
December 28th, 2006, 09:21 AM
1- move down another second into the 31 area for the 50 meter free.
2- swim the 100 I.M. efficiently on all four strokes, i.e. not dying after the first 25 fly and struggling through the 25 back and taking it easy in the 25 breast and trying to look good in the 25 free and still having a pitiful time.
3- swim the 50 meter butterfly looking good from start to finish yet going faster.
4- restart my running, trying to do it at least 3x weekly, same for weights at health club (actually, at the same place where I swim).
5- lose 20 lbs (?), okay, lose 10, then later lose another 10 as a consequence of 1 through 4 of the above, plus moderating ingoing calories. billy fanstone

ensignada
December 28th, 2006, 10:53 AM
To be fit and fast enough to practice with my local master's team next fall.

This may not seem aggressive, but when I started back swimming in the fall, their warm-up was my workout! Gettin' there. One thing age does bring is patience....:)

BTW, thanks to all of you. Reading your posts and discussions have been both educational and motivational.

swimr4life
December 28th, 2006, 12:00 PM
After months of frustration and pain, I finally threw in the towel on trying to rehab my shoulder/back/neck on my own and "swim through" the pain. I'm out of the water for a while. :( I went to the doctor last week and I'm starting official physical therapy Jan. 3rd. My resolution is to get my shoulder well and BE PATIENT when I try to get back. I tend to try to do too much too soon and reinjure myself. Hopefully I'll be better by March when I hope to swim in our St. Pat's meet. My other resolution is to not worry too much about my times and just enjoy swimming for "the health of it".

SwimStud
December 28th, 2006, 12:12 PM
After months of frustration and pain, I finally threw in the towel on trying to rehab my shoulder/back/neck on my own and "swim through" the pain. I'm out of the water for a while. :( I went to the doctor last week and I'm starting official physical therapy Jan. 3rd. My resolution is to get my shoulder well and BE PATIENT when I try to get back. I tend to try to do too much too soon and reinjure myself. Hopefully I'll be better by March when I hope to swim in our St. Pat's meet. My other resolution is to not worry too much about my times and just enjoy swimming for "the health of it".

That's a shame Beth, but you're making a smart long term choice. This way you can repair and rebuild then be zipping along into your 90's with luck!

The Fortress
December 28th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Beth:

So glad you're back! I hope you a had a wonderful holiday!! I hope the PT helps. Try to hang in there, twin sister. I've been laying low for about 6 weeks or so too and just doing some very easy workouts and cross-training. So my New Years resolution is similar to yours: Be patient, do my RC and scapular stabilizing exercises religiously and not rush back to hard swimming too fast.

I also would like to swim more with my team (not just by myself), build more endurance, work on my breaststroke and have fun with my new monofin. I'd like to be in better shape for Zones and meet some of the posters here at that meet.

poolraat
December 28th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Loose the weight I've gained over the holidays.
Qualify for SC Nationals in the 100 fly and 100 back

FlyQueen
December 28th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Good luck! Injuries are really frustrating. I was out for almost 3 months completely last year, darn near drove me crazy. I tried to "swim through it" for a couple of weeks (I had a labrum tear) before realizing I was doing far more damage than good.

Hopefully your PT will go well, and you'll have someone that actually really understands swimming! You'll be back to swimming fly at top speed in no time!

FlyQueen
December 28th, 2006, 01:01 PM
As far as my goals go ... I want to hit :26 in the 50 free and go sub :30 in the 50 fly ... Swim good workouts on Thursdays, when I have to swim on my own since I'll be coaching ... stay healthy!!!

thewookiee
December 28th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Here are mine for the new year.

Be more constent in practices(i.e. fewer slacker days)

Continue to improve my strokes for free,back and fly(sorry breastrokers...can't stand this stroke)

Go under :50 in the 100 free unrested/unshaved
Go under 1:50 in the 200 free unrested/unshaved
Go under :55 in the 100 back unrested/unshaved
See how close to 2:00 in the 200 back in can get(maybe even go under)

Meet a many posters on the usms forum as I can.

The big one... enjoy swimming even more this year than the last.

The Fortress
December 28th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Here are mine for the new year.

Be more constent in practices(i.e. fewer slacker days)

Continue to improve my strokes for free,back and fly(sorry breastrokers...can't stand this stroke)

Go under :50 in the 100 free unrested/unshaved
Go under 1:50 in the 200 free unrested/unshaved
Go under :55 in the 100 back unrested/unshaved
See how close to 2:00 in the 200 back in can get(maybe even go under)

Meet a many posters on the usms forum as I can.

The big one... enjoy swimming even more this year than the last.

OK, I retract my offer to race you in the 100 back. You're too fast and too young. You can come and race Clay Britt. But it sure sounds like our stroke preferences are the same. You remind me of someone I know. Where are you in TN? What are you up to there? How could you leave us here in the northern part of VA?

If our breaststrokes suck, shouldn't we be working on them? Or are we throwing in the towel completely?

I have to quit being a slacker too. Right after my non-swimming vacation in the rural wilds of NY. No pool. Boo.

FlyQueen
December 28th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I think I may have given up altogether on the evilness that is breaststroke, I'm better off sticking with fly and free, and trying to get better at backstroke ... I'll do just enough breaststroke to not drown in my 100IM ... which is probably more than I am doing now ....

okoban
December 28th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I wish an injury-free year for all of us folks.;)
I want to fine tune my technique in free:blah:
Swim 4 -5 times a week :agree:
Find a suitable goggle that will not hurt :(
Lower my best 200 free by at least 12 sec. :rolleyes:
Motivate my daughter to stay in the school's swimming team :groovy:
Meet some people writing in this forum :wave:
stay cool:D

blainesapprentice
December 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM
hmm new years resolutions are kinda late for a college swimmer, since our season is half way done, but I do have some goals in terms of times to meet by the end of the season which is in only a short month and a half.

50 free: under 24.90
100 free: just hit that 54 mark
200 free: 1:58.
100 fly: 59.
50 fly: 27.0

I'm guessing that those events are the only ones I get put in through the end of the season.

I also want to just lose some weight that never came off after the summer, and just tone up again...without looking manly like my brother calls me.:shakeshead:

and i need to enjoy swimming again.

m2tall2
December 28th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Well, I'm still early on in getting back some long lost athleticism so these goal times might seem a bit weak to many others that have posted. I'm only truly 3 months back in the game at this point so I shave off considerable time at every practice. So while these goals seem lofty they are probably highly attainable with a decent workout ethic.

event - goal - (current time)
50 BR - 38.0 - (41.13)
100 BR - 1:26.0 - (1:30.08)
100 IM - 1:18.00 - (1:23.6)

Practice my fly well enough so that I enter in the 100 Fly at 1 meet without flailing (maintain good form).

Capatalize on the fact that I haven't swam in a while so I have the perfect opportunity to unlearn old bad habits.

Sam Perry
December 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Actually swim in a meet this year.

Try and break :55 100 Back
Under 2:00 200 Back
Under 1:00 100 IM
Under 2:10 200 IM (My breastroke sucks)
Imopove my time in La Jolla next September

:woot:

~Wren~
December 28th, 2006, 06:05 PM
My first is just to get comfortable in the pool again, and give my hip a chance to heal (as much as it can at this point). Then I'd like to get up to where I can practice with a Master's team (though I have to say, after years of God-awful early ice times, what's with the 6am MS pool time?):frustrated: Along the way though, I need to drop some baby weight, and prep for the next baby.

Oh, and my best HS swim team buddy is going to start back too. She's 3 hrs away, but it'll still be nice to have someone else to get back in to it with. . . not to mention travelling to meets as adults sounds like a lot more fun than the HS trips we used to take. :)

CreamPuff
December 28th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Match or better all my best times as a kid.

Toughen up in practices - I'm a creampuff. :shakeshead:

Attempt and finish 12.5 mile swim around Key West.

CreamPuff
December 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Beth,
You are greatly missed in practice!!! Please take your time and get well, but know that I look forward to the day when you return! ;)

You've left me alone with Bob, the Finmaster/ Finlover!! He's tough to swim next to as he almost ALWAYS slides into the wall just before me! ARG!!! I'm trying and trying to figure out how to swim faster/ smarter. . .

Take care of yourself and you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you will come back STRONG!

Caped Crusader
December 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM
My New Years resolution is not to get a shoulder injury. (Otherwise, I'll be told to TI.) I hope none of you get swimmers' shoulder either, and that those that have it recover quickly. I'm going to keep running and swimming a lot. May cycle some in the summer months to give the hampstring a break and ride with the family. I'll keep lifting weights and doing dry lands too. I may try to work less next year.

jaegermeister
December 29th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Then I'd like to get up to where I can practice with a Master's team (though I have to say, after years of God-awful early ice times, what's with the 6am MS pool time?):frustrated: :)

Wren-
It is hard to get going in the AM, isn't it? :mad:
However, if I can do it, you can too. I used to consistently burn the midnight oil. Now it seems that if I don't get my workout in early, it isn't going to happen- since life happens pretty regularly for us.

Resolved- to practice consistently
to not get injured
to have a lot of fun
to enter enough meets that I can see if any of my efforts are yielding any results.

And it would be great to get a national qualifying time. This, however, is the ball that bounces- if I drop it, it isn't going to break.

FlyQueen
December 29th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Match or better all my best times as a kid.

Toughen up in practices - I'm a creampuff. :shakeshead:

Attempt and finish 12.5 mile swim around Key West.

You are hanging in there with the Senior I kids and doing 6K/workout and you think you are a creampuff ... crikey, wonder what that makes me?! :dunno:

CreamPuff
December 29th, 2006, 09:48 AM
You are hanging in there with the Senior I kids and doing 6K/workout and you think you are a creampuff ... crikey, wonder what that makes me?! :dunno:

Hi FlyQueen!

Well, I've felt like a creampuff for these reasons -
I'm DEAD TIRED from all this swimming, etc., and these last few practices, I've gotten SLOPPY with turns, form, etc. My coach even mentioned this to me.

Second, in swimming with the boys, there are a couple who ALWAYS seem to just outswim me! ARG!!! Sometimes, (depending on the set and who it is), they will cream me (especially when they have fins and paddles), or, more often, we'll battle it out for the set and sometimes the whole practice, and they just seem to pull it out at the end.

This is particularly frustrating when doing a big set of 6x400 or similar. We'll be head to head for 14 laps and then I lose it! I have learned to handle pain better as an adult than as a kid. As a kid, when the pain would come on, I'd slow down. Easy solution. Now, I can hang on and stay more positive without giving up *as easily.* But, I know I still need to toughen up more mentally, especially being that I'm a sprinter who is wanting to turn distance!:frustrated:

I've increased my pain threshhold, but I still am aware that I back down too easily. Not sure if this makes sense. . .

So. . . when I say creampuff, I mean holding proper form when I get tired and improving my pain tolerance. Oh, and we switched to Long Course this holiday break - ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! It's kicking my a**. :wiggle:

Love your User Name by the way! How are your practices going?

FlyQueen
December 29th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I get it ... that's tough. I constantly race people in practice, too ... whether they know it or not. There are some I can't come close to (especially our distance guys) and others I can wear down. With the one guy that is considerably faster than me I try not to let him catch me on say a 500. I can hold him off on those now ... he seems to be able to endlessly hold a riddiculously fast pace without any effort (though I know he is working hard) ...

I try to pace myself with the clock, I sneak a peak every 100 or so on longer sets and try to hold the pace I go on the first one, it doesn't happen often. My favorite way to psyche myself up is I tell myself the more I push and the faster I swim the more rest I'll get ... I also remind myself that I'll feel a lot better once it's over if I go hard the whole time, I used to write all my workouts down and how I was feeling ... so when I backed off or skipped part of a set I wrote that down and was so much more motivated the next practice.

I also remember hearing Michael Phelps say that he was in pain every practice, and thinking well, if he's that good and he's in pain then I need to push that hard, too. I used to think that once I got fast enough, strong enough, good enough I wouldn't be in pain any more ... now I realize that I need to be in pain (to a reasonable extent) every practice if I really want to get better.

Why do you want to become a distance swimmer?!?!?!

swim4me
December 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I constantly race people in practice, too ... whether they know it or not.

I think that 'secretly' racing people in neighboring lanes is somthing most swimmers do. It gives us an immediate goal to strive for and makes us faster in the process. I have done this all my swimming career.

CreamPuff
December 29th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I get it ... that's tough. I constantly race people in practice, too ... whether they know it or not. There are some I can't come close to (especially our distance guys) and others I can wear down. With the one guy that is considerably faster than me I try not to let him catch me on say a 500. I can hold him off on those now ... he seems to be able to endlessly hold a riddiculously fast pace without any effort (though I know he is working hard) ...

I try to pace myself with the clock, I sneak a peak every 100 or so on longer sets and try to hold the pace I go on the first one, it doesn't happen often. My favorite way to psyche myself up is I tell myself the more I push and the faster I swim the more rest I'll get ... I also remind myself that I'll feel a lot better once it's over if I go hard the whole time, I used to write all my workouts down and how I was feeling ... so when I backed off or skipped part of a set I wrote that down and was so much more motivated the next practice.

I also remember hearing Michael Phelps say that he was in pain every practice, and thinking well, if he's that good and he's in pain then I need to push that hard, too. I used to think that once I got fast enough, strong enough, good enough I wouldn't be in pain any more ... now I realize that I need to be in pain (to a reasonable extent) every practice if I really want to get better.

Why do you want to become a distance swimmer?!?!?!

We are so similar in how we practice!! Very cool!

As for being a distance swimmer, I always felt that these swimmers were truly in the best kind of physical shape. I always looked up to them and was in "awe" of their ability to swim so fast for so long. I was and am in awe of their ability to tolerate pain. My main goal as an adult is to get in the best physical condition possible - and then to stay that way. So why limit myself to being a sprinter? I want to be "strong" in any set that a coach throws out at practice. That would be too cool!

I love sprints and sprinters - speed and power are awesome. But, I guess my focus has changed a bit as I get older. I always shunned distance as a kid. Why? In reality, b/c it was so hard. I was scared to face that pain. I've gotten better. . . but I have a long way to go.

ande
December 29th, 2006, 11:57 AM
50 free go under 22
100 free go under 49 (then 48.5, then 48)
50 fly go under 24
50 back go under 25
50 SDK go under 25

weigh 190 - 195

get stronger do
6 reps with 205 on bench press,
6 reps with 220 on lat pull

be fast and consistent in practice

meet more folks who post here

Slimy
December 29th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Lose 50 pounds by reacquainting myself with swimming after a 7-year hiatus and frustrating attempt to be a runner.

jlh
January 4th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I also want to drop 40-50 lbs and be able to do a sub 6:00 500. After 13 years away from the pool and considering my best time in high school was around 5:30 so if I can break 6:00 by the end of this year at age 31 I will be happy.

Joshua

ynot
January 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM
all i would like to do is swim at sectionals for this swimming season, i've improved alot over the first half of the season as i havent swam in 3 yrs, my goal time by the end of this season is 25 secs for 50 free, 32 secs for 50 breast

Gkami
January 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
With finally getting back into the water with any consistency... first and foremost is continuing the trend and swimming 4-5 times a week.

Times:
50 Fly - Break :26 and then :25
100 Fly - Under :58 (amazing how this has become an endurance event for me)
50 Back - Under :29
100 Back - 1:04

Lose 20 pounds and I'm sure the times will become all that much easier to achieve :)

Being a regular lurker, I'm also looking forward to meeting posters at SCY Nationals in May.

ande
January 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM
a few years ago i started a song about new years resolutions
here's the part of it I really like:

Resolution
by Ande Rasmussen

I have one resolution this year
and it has to do with you my dear
so let's sing old lang syne
and then from this time

I have no doubt I'll follow through
cause I resolve to get involved with you

nancytris
January 4th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Slimy -- I can so relate to the frustrating try at running :frustrated: . Although I am semi=planning to enter more (sprint) triathlons this year (I have done 4 in the past), my feet have developed the dreaded plantar fasciitis and running hurts! I have never been a runner and have always loved swimming but never competed other than in those triathlons. I have no "formal" training or coaching in swimming (self taught past river rat who has read and practiced a lot). My goal for 2007 is to be consistent with 3 swims a week, find a stroke clinic or two in my area and get some pointers on improving technique, form and a little speed (I am painfully :snore: slow), and complete the new "go the distance" fitness swim planned for this site.

I feel encouraged by getting onto this forum for motivation and support. Thanks all.

globuggie
January 5th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Here's my goals (I tend to be a little overambitious, but am happy with almost any improvement):

50 free - now :32, goal under :30
50 back - stuck at :36 for past 2 years, goal :34
50 fly - now :34, goal :33
100 IM - now 1:17, goal under 1:15
100 fly - now 1:27, goal 1:20 (mostly need endurance)
100 free - now 1:10, long-term goal of 1:04 (which was my first ever 50 free time when I started swimming)
200 IM - now 3:03, goal 2:45 (again, mostly need endurance)

To reach these goals, I'm trying to up my swimming to 6x/wk and really working hard in practice.