PDA

View Full Version : breastroke weight workout & nutrition?

SwimStud
December 27th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Anyone have any reasonable workouts that help with breast in particular? I am limited to a small multi gym at home, and willnot do anything that will expose my lumbar area greatly.

Also, anyone have a plan that works for them is fat shedding via eating properly. I know swimming doesn't traditionally lend itself to "burning" but I am curious if anyone has any luck with eating right etc.. I know I can cut out the goodies and booze a bit...

Thanks

Rich

Warren
December 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM
do a bunch of different free weight exercises. Machines wont help.

SwimStud
December 27th, 2006, 05:01 PM
do a bunch of different free weight exercises. Machines wont help.

It's not really a feasible option for me Warren. I don't like to take the risk with my lower back--sounds like an excuse but I can get a spasm without warning from taking my socks off.
I guess I'll continue doing my press ups etc and start some general tone work press, pulldowns etc with the mini gym.

Allen Stark
December 27th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I have back problems too, which means I can't really"lift"weights. That is not a problem as most of my upper body work is various pull downs with pulleys. Pretty much any thing working your pecs and lats is good. Also rowing motions that don't strain the back(be careful.) Because of the back,I limit my leg work to the leg extension machine(and the bike,lots of bike). Also I work on my legs and streamling by doing push offs from the pool bottom in about 7 feet of water,2 sets of 12.Don't forget your core,if your back can handle it use a stabilizer ball(you can use it while watching TV.) If that bothers your back get a trainer or physical therapist to recommend exercises for core strength.

Superfly
December 28th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Rich,

My favourite gym excercise is when I pull a long rope trying to copy the underwater pull in breaststroke. This can be performed standing up and leaning forward but preferably lying on your stomach on a bench. The longer the rope the easier to copy the exact motion you have in the water. I go explosive week one and heavy week two and high repetions week three...then all over again.

For the legs I would simply try to find anything that support my lower back when pushing weights with my legs....can you do anything like that in your home gym? Otherwise the tips given above by Allen Stark sounds great.

Regarding eating: I lost 10 kgs the past year simply by:
Excercise 1 hour 3-4 times a week before breakfast (low heart rate approx 130-140 bpm) preferrably by walking fast
Stay off the sugar, ie stay off coca cola, bread in all variations etc...dont even think about booze :)
Key thing for me is excercise. If I do that results will come eventhough I might not eat 100% properly. If I dont do my morning walking then it is extremely hard to get rid of fat even with a perfect diet.
My target is to get down an additional 5 kgs ...then I will almost look like Mark Foster...if I do some cosmetical surgery to my face that is...;)

Best regards
Per

funkyfish
January 2nd, 2007, 01:07 AM
Richjb,

Let's talk diet. As you mentioned in your post, the main thing is cutting out the junk. What superfly writes about exercising in the morning before breakfast is also good. I used to compete as a bodybuilder/weightlifter and was able to get my bodyfat down to below 2% within 12 weeks using some pretty strict dieting routines, but here are a few key considerations that shouldn't be as severe as "dieting down" for a contest.
1) try to break your daily calories into 5 to 6 small meals, this keeps your metabolism going longer throughout the day.
2) if you can, exercise 1st thing before breakfast, long story short, low glycogen and insulin levels after waking up promote burning fat instead of glycogen, and also gets your metabolism going.
3) drink lots of water. This is a relative thing, but for me (180lbs) 2-3 liters a day was fine. When you burn fat, you excrete it through urine. A consistent water supply will also keep bloating at bay.
4) try to eat complex carbohydrates like pasta, long grain rice, sweet potatoes, most fruits & veggies. This has to do with low glycemic carbs, which will help to keep insulin levels at a consistant rate. The less processed the better.

Again, these were things that worked well for me. Good luck.