PDA

View Full Version : Front crawl Style

SM-Rocket89
December 28th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Yesterday at practice I decided to change my stroke since I suck so bad (6:30 500yard free) and found amazing results. Instead of my typical outward sweep and slight insweep all the way through to the hip I changed the idea completely and reached out almost directly in front of my head, pulling straight through my midline in the water and only outward near the finish of the stroke to the hip. This made me swim a ton faster and I was lapping everyone in my lane(people I usually swim behind and who nearly lap me:applaud:). Anyone else swim like this or know anyone who does? I don't understand why it works for me, maybe because I'm a skinny 5,9' 135 lbs.? I've seen kids with the ugliest technique swim amazing times and this worked for me, I just want to hear some thoughts on this.

Warren
December 28th, 2006, 11:36 PM
try to get a high catch on your pull. dont let your hand get higher your elbow.

okoban
December 29th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Hi Chris,
I can't make you any suggestions normally, you are far faster than me.:mad:
All I can say is you might be right. My 'on-line coach' Sean (thanks for his patience for posting a lot of valuable answers :notworthy: to my questions) posted a video about the stroke mechanics in freestyle. If you wish, check out the thread 'how to increase my stroke rate' in 'coaching', post #14. :blah:
There is a youtube address over there which advocates something (I think) similar to your experience. There are some exercises shown by a Russian coach with a very typical Russian English accent.
Have a nice weekend:drink: