PDA

View Full Version : Running anybody?

SM-Rocket89
December 29th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Any big running fans here? I know most people choose one or the other(running/swimming) to get good at it and train all year but I do CC/Track as well as swim. I'm much better at running than swimming in fact just want to know if there are any other runners out there and what do you think of the sport?

swim4me
December 29th, 2006, 10:04 AM
I took up running when I did not have access to a pool. I completed several 5Ks, one half marthon and one marathon. My feet hurt when I run now. Have not been able to find the right shoes. My husband has taken up running in the meantime. He just completed his second marathon (New York) in November. He loves running as much as I love swimming!

The Fortress
December 29th, 2006, 10:48 AM
There are many current and ex runners here: me, FlyQueen, Poolraat, LBJ, Caped Crusader, FindingMyInnerFish, Chlorini, etc. Even the Geek uses a treadmill. There are people here doing aquathlons. Tris too. You should read the thread "Does cross-training with running help swimming?" That was interesting. Myself, I don't believe the running helps my swimming a great deal (some residual benefits from stronger legs), but I just like to run outside and it's a nice break from the pool. But I'm an LSD runner and a sprinter swimmer. Makes no sense to me, but that's the way it is.

tuck
December 29th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I love to run, fellin love with it a few years ago. But my knees kill, 20 yrs of building houses will do that to you. I stay on trails now, only every two or three days, I want to keep doing it when I retire so I'm careful. I think it helps my long distance swimming, pacing etc. I've done a marathon, a half M, a 5K and a couple of Tris.

~Wren~
December 30th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Count me in with the ex runners (see siggie). :frustrated:

FindingMyInnerFish
December 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM
As mentioned, I'm one of the runners. I'd liked swimming in the past, but never got around to joining a masters' group (never seemed to be at good times for me). Last year, I finally took the step of giving masters' swimming a try, and I'm glad I did!

But I still also enjoy the flexibility of running whenever/wherever I want. Running too is where my (albeit modest) athletic successes come. Altho not a natural speedster, I improved enough to place in my age group in some races. In swimming, age group placing only happens when my age group is VERY small (e.g, first in a tough field of one, ha ha), but no big deal b/c I still enjoy the workout racing gives me, and no matter who's in my age group, the one person who's my main competitor is myself, as I set individual goals and try to reach them.

Swimming has really helped me to keep running. I tend to get injured (knee and foot problems). But the swimming has allowed me to keep pushing myself, so that I recover faster from injuries, also from long runs and races. Interestingly, I feel a lot less sore after a hard swimming workout than after a hard running workout. But I love both. Kind of like salt and pepper--partners in seasoning my life.

SwimStud
December 30th, 2006, 01:13 PM
NO........

okoban
December 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I like running too. We used to run at the beach in winter !!! when I was in the cycling team of Yesilkoy Club (20yrs ago). Now I run once a week especially in a forest.
There is an Eurasia marathon in November in İstanbul and I join it sometimes. We start from the Asian part of Istanbul, cross over the Bosphorus bridge to European side. Here is the picture of that bridge.

http://www.istanbulinfolink.com/images/istanbul_460x368/Bosphorus_1_460x368.JPG
For more pictures go to http://www.istanbulinfolink.com/photo_gallery/photo_istanbul/photo_23_bosphorus_bridge.htm

There are 2 events: 15K and 42K. If you can run 15K in less than 80 minutes (men), 90 minutes (women) you will be the median runner. If you are interested, here is the link:
http://www.ibbsporetkin.com/organizasyonlar.asp
(it is in Turkish). Just contact me for any questions.

rtodd
December 30th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I had to quit running masters (40 and over) track because of back problems. Too bad because I was just starting to get my times down. I had a blast and got to run with some fast guys in meets like the Penn Relays and Millrose games. The 1/4 mile was tough and to be honest the training really hurt (shin splints, achilles tendonitis, sports hernia and torn meniscus). The competition is real tough in my age group.

I used to do some distance running, but never got a thrill from it like running like my hair was on fire.

I turned to swimming about 1 1/2 years ago so I could still compete in something. One thing is for sure I was better at running than swimming. I am really learning to love swimming though. Unfortunately butterfly bothers my back, so no IM's for me. I just want to do a good 100.

Leonard Jansen
December 31st, 2006, 10:04 AM
Track & Field is my first love. It kills me that the drug issue looms so large in the sport, however. I do like to go to some of the local high school and college meets on occasion. I ran from 1969 to 1979 and then racewalked from 1979 to 1996, when I back injury made it impossible. Still miss it like mad, esp the racewalking.

-LBJ

laineybug
December 31st, 2006, 12:20 PM
Only when the pool is closed or I can't get to it when it is opened.