PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth Extraction

SM-Rocket89
December 29th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Ouch! I had my wisdom teeth extraction today(4 of them pulled coming in horizontally:shakeshead:) and let me tell you it sucks! I was awake during the entire operation which I don't really regret because everything ran smoothly and I was put through very minimal pain(completely numb) except when they jab the top of your mouth to numb it.

Anyways I started hurting like hell with chronic pain about 2 hours later, fortunately I started on my painkiller medication now(and I thought I was tough enough to handle it:rofl:). Plus, I can only eat yogurt and pudding right now(potatoes tomorrow, big step up I know). Has anyone else had to gone through this hell?

Ooooo, I forgot the one pro of the entire situation, the surgery drugs mess you up pretty good...

SwimStud
December 29th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Ouch! I had my wisdom teeth extraction today(4 of them pulled coming in horizontally:shakeshead:) and let me tell you it sucks! I was awake during the entire operation which I don't really regret because everything ran smoothly and I was put through very minimal pain(completely numb) except when they jab the top of your mouth to numb it.

Anyways I started hurting like hell with chronic pain about 2 hours later, fortunately I started on my painkiller medication now(and I thought I was tough enough to handle it:rofl:). Plus, I can only eat yogurt and pudding right now(potatoes tomorrow, big step up I know). Has anyone else had to gone through this hell?

Ooooo, I forgot the one pro of the entire situation, the surgery drugs mess you up pretty good...

I had this done. The best thing is not to talk, or yawn wide, or laugh etc. At least you can chat here. I was OK within a week.

dorothyrde
December 29th, 2006, 08:03 PM
So long ago, I cannot remember, except getting sick from being put out. My son had this done this summer and was hardly in pain at all. My daughter had surgery for a cyst in her mouth and missed a whole week of school. Guess everyone reacts differently. And I paid a lot of money to an oral surgeon this year.

nkfrench
December 29th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I had all 4 yanked under a local. The roots all tapered in nicely rather than splaying out, so they came out easy. A few aspirin took care of me. I still have the teeth in a velvet box, 20+ years later. The worst part was not being allowed my beloved Diet Cokes for a while. :)

swim4me
December 29th, 2006, 09:17 PM
My daughter is a swimmer and water polo player for her high school. She missed one week after being put out and having all four teeth removed.

The surgery has improved sinced the 70's when I had mine out. I was really sick for a week and swollen for three months!

USMSarah
December 29th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I was out for 2 weeks after my surgery. My face was swollen 2x it's original size, the pain meds made me throw up - I couldn't win. Some people are miserable after this surgery, and others are just completely fine.

Just remember it is temporary, and you will be feeling better in the near future. Take your meds, eat lots of cold food (milkshakes and ice cream always felt good in the back of my mouth) - and you'll be back to normal before you know it. Hang in there.

~Wren~
December 29th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I only had uppers and they came in one year apart. Both were pulled when they broke through as they had nothing to meet up with on the bottom. I had it really easy - only needed novocaine and laughing gas (good stuff!).

Sorry to hear yours were so tough. I did have oral surgery last year for a root canal issue and they suggested using cold packs in addition to the meds. It really helped with the swelling. Good luck & feel better!

Warren
December 30th, 2006, 01:50 AM
I had mine taken out a couple days ago. I woke up during the procedure which sucked because I wasn't expecting to wake up with a drill grinding away at my teeth. I was like holy s*** im awake. But I was only awake for one tooth and it hurt. The Codine that I took with the anastesia that was not completle worn off yet was nuts. After I took the codine I layed in my bed and I was thinking I wasn't tired enough to go to sleep and I should go watch TV then I would go striaght into a dream and wake up a minute later. This continued about 3 times. I would fall asleep in midthought and just go right into a dream then the next thing i know I was waking up. It was like been awake and asleep at the same time. Then I just passed out for 3 hours untill my mom woke me up to eat. I'm recovering pretty well, not a whole lot of swelling. I'm going to attempt to eat some buffalo wings tommorrow at my friends birthday party at Buffalo Wild Wings which happens to be my favorite restraunt.

dorothyrde
December 30th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I have never been to "B dubs" but my son and his friends love it. Must be a kid thing! Glad to hear you are well enough to eat. I remember I only had the uppers, and they told me the lowers are the big problems.

mattson
January 2nd, 2007, 08:14 PM
In my teens, dentist decided to take out all four wisdom teeth before they had come through the gums. Said I had healthy, wide molars that would need to be sawed in half to be extracted. Novicane started wearing off before they got to the last one, so I got to have two shots to numb the pain, and the pleasure of hearing and smelling my teeth being cut in half for about half an hour.

3degree
January 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
I had all 4 (severely impacted and had to be chiseled out) done back in college and was back at work in two days. However- not fully functioning as I couldn't open my mouth very far.

I was luckily knocked out for the procedure. After what I felt like after and how sore I was, they must have had to wrestle a little with them! I agree that yawning and laughing were difficult for a quite a while. My wife had hers done back in college and was very bruised up and out of commission for at least a couple of weeks. I had friends who had horror stories- like the one whose oral surgeon stitched his gum to his cheek- he couldn't figure out why it hurt so darn bad to move his mouth AT ALL! He had to go back in and have them take it off the side of his mouth and restitch that section.

Make sure you syringe out (clean out-spraying water) your sockets (the tooth holes in your gums) when you do start eating real food again! Don't want to get these infected.

I can tell you what's worse though. I had tissue removed from the roof of my mouth and implanted/put over sections of my exposed teeth in my gumline to cover gum recession. The pain in the roof of my mouth was excruciating for 2+ weeks as the exposed nerve endings were SCREAMING!!!!!! Talking was killer as even touching the roof of my mouth with my tongue would literally bring tears to my eyes. Forget eating or drinking ANYTHING if I was not completely numbed up. And the painkilling pills did little if anything to knock this back. The portion over my gums was fine, but the section where they "harvested the tissue" was the worst, intense, severe, day stopping pain I have ever felt! They give you a plastic plate to put over the roof and this helped some but I literally lived on industrial strength topical anesthetic :notworthy: for a long time trying to get through this. (later they told me that you could develop a severe allergy with that much exposure to the stuff). I actually had to go back to the oral surgeon and beg for his help! He could not understand why I was having so many problems but just replied that the nerve endings were growing back.