PDA

View Full Version : New USMS Fitness Event: Go the Distance!

marysweat
December 30th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Announcing the new 2007 USMS Fitness Event: Go the Distance!

A new fitness event is being offered by the USMS Fitness Committee. The name of this new challenge is “Go the Distance”!

The objective of this event is for participants to track the distance they swim during the year 2007. When participants achieve specific distance milestones of 50 miles, 100 miles, 250 miles, 500 miles, 750 miles and 1000 miles – they will be recognized on the USMS website and awards will be available for purchase (for a minimal fee).

There is no cost to enter this event. Participants are requested to email (or use snail mail) to submit the total distance they swim each month. A list of miles per month and cumulative mileage will be tabulated for each swimmer. Once a distance milestone is achieved awards will be available for purchase. They will include swim caps, certificates, patches and t-shirts with the event logo and the distance of the milestone achieved. Details on these awards and how to purchase them will be available soon.

Each month the results will be updated on the USMS website in the Fitness Section. There will be lists to recognize all those that have achieved each distance milestone. Participants will also be able to look up their current total as well as view their progress toward the next distance milestone. In addition there will be graphs illustrating the participation for each zone, lmsc, age groups etc..

This event was designed to encourage folks to track the distance they swim in order to review their progress and to be recognized for their achievements. There is no time limit for the distance milestones (except that it must be in 2007) so speed does not count – just the effort to attain the next goal. We wish to recognize participation and achievement of goals with this event.

There will be an entry form, monthly results, award request form and a “distance tracking log” available on the USMS website (fitness section) soon. The log can be used to track one’s daily distance swum but is not required.

The Canadian Masters have a Million Metre Challenge that is quite successful. This event is similar in design but will be implemented a bit differently in the beginning. And of course, our goals will be in miles instead of meters!

I would very much appreciate it if you could spread the word to folks and consider participating yourselves! If you need any more information or would like to comment and make suggestions please contact Mary Sweat at gothedistance@swimoregon.org

Wishing you lots of fun swimming in 2007!
Mary Sweat
For the USMS Fitness Committee

Dominick Aielloeaver
December 30th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Great Idea. Mary. I like it very much. Dom, From AZ.:woot: ;)

islandsox
December 30th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Hi Mary,

This sounds good to me as I am a distance swimmer and 2007 will be a year that I pound out a lot of miles in preparation for a very long swim (for me).

I suppose, of course, it is on the Honor System. So I guess when February 1 rolls around, I'll start logging my miles.

Donna

marysweat
December 30th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Donna,

Actually the event starts this Monday - January 1, 2007 - so please start logging your miles right away!

There will be a "swim mileage tracking log" on the website (fitness section) that will be available soon that you can use for this event. However, it's not required that you use it to enter the event. A simple email to gothedistance@swimoregon.org (see entry form for more details) with your mileage swum at the end of each month is all that is necessary.

I hope to hear from you at the end of January with your first month's mileage!
Mary

chaos
December 31st, 2006, 07:58 AM
hello mary,
i think this is a great idea. it will encourage people to keep a swim log and might even encourage some to participate in some long distance (postal and open water) events.

i will certainly be promoting this event within my LMSC.

db

dorothyrde
December 31st, 2006, 10:01 AM
I did this type of thing with Illinois Masters last summer. We logged May-Aug yardage, and sent the log in by September. It was a "I swam a Marathon" shirt. It was fun to see the miles rack up, and helped me get in the water at a time that I find difficult to find time.

nancytris
December 31st, 2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks for doing this new event! I am just getting back to swimming regularly and really look forward to this event helping to keep me in the pool on a consistant basis. I am a definite list maker and record keeper so this shall be a boon to me!!

Nancytris

marysweat
January 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM
Hi Folks,

Happy New Year! I am glad to see that some of you are interested and excited about this new event ... and since today is the first day of this new event - I hope you all have started tracking your mileage!

The "mileage tracking logs", entry forms and description of this event will be available soon on the website (it is such a busy time of year!). However, until then, please just keep track of those miles on beer napkins (my personal favorite) or any other piece of scratch paper you can find!

Have fun swimming - I hope to hear from you at the end of the month!
Mary

swimshark
January 2nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Mary, I can't wait to start tracking my mileage :)

Too bad the lifeguards messed up and forgot to open the pool today. Oh well, I'll be going for my first 2+ miles tomorrow at 4:30am.

Alison

PS Miss you and Oregon.

ALM
January 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
(1) Is there a fee to enter the event?

(2) Is it open to USMS members only?

Anna Lea
-

marysweat
January 2nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
Mary, I can't wait to start tracking my mileage :)

Too bad the lifeguards messed up and forgot to open the pool today. Oh well, I'll be going for my first 2+ miles tomorrow at 4:30am.

Alison

PS Miss you and Oregon.

Alright Alison! I was hoping you would enter this event! Could it be you want a good looking swim cap ... ?

By the way folks, when the entry form is posted on the website (soon) - you will notice a very cool event logo on the form. This was designed and created by our very own Alison (who swims for us (Oregon) in VA!). This is the logo that will be on the awards for each distance milestone achieved. Please have a look when it's posted - I think you will really like it!
Mary

marysweat
January 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
(1) Is there a fee to enter the event?

(2) Is it open to USMS members only?

Anna Lea
-

1) There is no entry fee ... simply email (or snail mail) me your monthly mileage and you will automatically be entered! The only cost will be if you choose to purchase an award when you have achieved a distance milestone (50,100,250,500,750 or 1000 miles). Awards will include certificates, swim caps, t-shirts and patches with the really cool event logo on it. The cost will be minimal - just enough to cover the item and shipping costs. More details will be available soon.

2) This event is for USMS Members Only at this time. 2007 USMS id's will be required. We will evaluate this event later this year to see if it would be feasible to open it up to others.

Mary

Smurt
January 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Mary,
Can't wait to get started! Went to the pool today....not open for lap swim. Will begin 6:00am tomorrow morning. Thanks for doing this.
Cheers,
Smurt

swimshark
January 3rd, 2007, 08:02 AM
Aw, thanks Mary. I'm definately working torwards my first cap. Swam at 4:30 this morning with the kids and managed a good 4400 yards.

Alison

blainesapprentice
January 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Any word on when the info will be up on the fitness section?!

Also, do the other contests that are still on that page, but over, restart for the new year? Just wondering, because they also looked like fun!

Thanks,
Morgan

Kimberlie Streed
January 5th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Sounds like fun, I'm in. We should count kicking and pulling too or just swimming?

marysweat
January 5th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Any word on when the info will be up on the fitness section?!

Also, do the other contests that are still on that page, but over, restart for the new year? Just wondering, because they also looked like fun!

Thanks,
Morgan

Hi Morgan,

I am hoping that the entry form and log for tracking your mileage will be posted on the website soon (maybe any day now). The files are ready but the web folks are very busy at this time.

As far as the other fitness events for 2007 .... the "go the distance" event is the new, revamped version of the Virtual Swim Series. However, we will keep the Virtual Swims and logs available for your use and enjoyment. If you choose do a virtual swim, just make sure to enter your distance swum in the "go the distance!" event instead!

Both the Check-Off-Challenge and 30 minute swim events are being offered in 2007. Hugh Moore is a contact for the check-off-challenge and PNA will be hosting the 30 minute swim. I hope information regarding these events will be available on the website soon.

Stay tuned for the information to be posted under the fitness section on the USMS website,
Mary

marysweat
January 5th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Sounds like fun, I'm in. We should count kicking and pulling too or just swimming?

Hi Kimberlie,

The use of swim toys (er ... equipment) is just fine for this event! The mileage you enter is simply how far you have gone in the water ... in whatever way you like! However, I suppose motorized devices should not be allowed .... !
Mary

marysweat
January 9th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Hi Folks,

The entry form for the new USMS event "Go the Distance" is now available on the USMS website under the fitness section!

Also available is a "mileage tracking log" which is an Excel spreadsheet. Use of this tracking log is not required to enter this event. It's simply a tool provided for those of you who might not being using any mileage tracking tools at this time.

I hope you all will have a look at the entry form, track your mileage and then send in your first monthly results at the end of January!

Please let me know if you would like any more information.
Mary

nancytris
January 9th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks Mary,

The excel sheet looks intimidating to me :dunno: I guess I am simply not computer savvy enough to understand how to use it. So I will simply keep track in my notebook and email you the total distance at the end of the month.

Do we need to send all the information indicated on the entry form to you each month (age, address, USMS ID, etc.) or just the first time we enter our distance?

Thanks again, this is a motivator for me :groovy:

Nancy

marysweat
January 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Hi Nancy,

I'm glad you are interested in this new event!

You won't need to send all of the information each month - just the first time. Once you are entered in the event you will only need to send your name (unless your email address is really obvious!) and distance for the month.

As far as the excel spreadsheet - it certainly is not required - and it is no better than a calendar, notebook or beer napkin! Should you feel brave and playful someday - try just entering the distance you swim in the column next to the day you swam (either the yards, meters or miles column) and it will do the rest for you! Let me know if you would like some more information!

Mary

nancytris
January 10th, 2007, 09:40 PM
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: Thanks Mary, I did try to "brave it" and enter some distances into excel :rolleyes: I tried each area and kinda assume that the white area is for 2006, so deleted that and went on to the yellow area. I was guessing that I should put dates by days of the week, but apparently that is incorrect as the day of the week disappeared when I entered a date.

So :help: ---- Do I ignore the day of the week and simply start with the first cell and simply go down the column and add dates consecutively, ignoring the #2 cell which ends up saying something not relevant?

Perhaps I should be emailing you specifically about my lack of excel knowledge:wave:

Thanks again,
Nancy

marysweat
January 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Hi Nancy,

Hmmm ..... I would like to help if I can. Please email me at gothedistance@swimoregon.org .

Which "mileage tracking log" are you using? The one specifically designed for this event was just posted on the website a couple of day ago - is that the one you are using?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Mary

poolraat
January 11th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Did you design the log? It's awesome!!

marysweat
January 11th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Gosh .... thanks a bunch!

For those of you who might use this "mileage tracking log" - I would be very interested in any suggestions you might have or any enhancements/options that could be added to improve it and make it more simple to use.
Mary

poolraat
January 11th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Gosh .... thanks a bunch!

For those of you who might use this "mileage tracking log" - I would be very interested in any suggestions you might have or any enhancements/options that could be added to improve it and make it more simple to use.
Mary

I use Excel all the time so your tracking log was easy to use. But I can see where someone who had never used the program before might get confused.
I don't know how you would make it foolproof (sorry, could'nt think of a better word) so someone who had never used Excel before would not have problems. Can you lock all the cells except the yardage entry one?

marysweat
January 11th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I use Excel all the time so your tracking log was easy to use. But I can see where someone who had never used the program before might get confused.
I don't know how you would make it foolproof (sorry, could'nt think of a better word) so someone who had never used Excel before would not have problems. Can you lock all the cells except the yardage entry one?

Good idea. Right now most of the spreadsheet is locked - at least the calculations, graphs and information at the top. Yet, somehow I managed to miss the date and day of week ... I will fix that for the next update.

I was also thinking a help file with an example might help ....
Mary

blainesapprentice
January 11th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I had always been under the impression that the 1650yards was the mile? Is this wrong? I noticed that for this event a mile in yards is 1760.

I was just wondering:-D
Thanks,
Morgan

nancytris
January 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM
An example might be a help :p I did log in my miles so far this year, but have no idea if I did it in the correct place!! The calculations worked however -- and for 1600 meters it gave me .99 miles so appears to be correct for me.

I guess my confusion lies in the top half of the sheet (white and 2006 indications). but then, it is a bit easy to confuse me when it comes to these programs!

SwimStud
January 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM
An example might be a help :p I did log in my miles so far this year, but have no idea if I did it in the correct place!! The calculations worked however -- and for 1600 meters it gave me .99 miles so appears to be correct for me.

I guess my confusion lies in the top half of the sheet (white and 2006 indications). but then, it is a bit easy to confuse me when it comes to these programs!
2006 2007...what's the difference...they're less than a second apart ;)

nancytris
January 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM
:banana: Okie Dokie -- it works -- I don't know if the wrong form downloaded the first time or what, but I downloaded again and it is SWEET :wiggle: . If this is how it was supposed to be from the beginning, it's no wonder you all were wondering how helpless I could be;)

Now, to keep up with it all. But it's working so far -- I ALMOST blew off even going to the pool this morning but decided to go even if lazy and play with some toys (kick board, pull buoy, fins) for half an hour. And all because I wanted to log in some yards!

marysweat
January 12th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I had always been under the impression that the 1650yards was the mile? Is this wrong? I noticed that for this event a mile in yards is 1760.

I was just wondering:-D
Thanks,
Morgan

Hi Morgan,

I was wondering how soon someone would notice and ask!

There really are 1760 yards (or 5280 feet or 1610 meters) in one statute mile.

Now I could use some help here from some folks who are swimming historians - but I'm guessing this is the way the "mile race" evolved. Since a mile is also equal to 1610 meters, I would bet someone made up a 1500 event because it was close to a mile -- or was it because it was similar to a track event? Either way, the closest race to the 1500 meter event in a short course yards pool would be 1650 yards.

Both the 1500 meter and 1650 yards races are described as a "mile" - but in reality they are a bit short. However, I'll bet if you ever swim one of these races you will consider them close enough to the real thing!
Mary

marysweat
January 12th, 2007, 09:50 PM

Hi Nancy,

I noticed that I labeled the spreadsheet with "Total Miles Swam in 2006" .... geeeshhh ... what was I thinking? I will fix that!
Sorry about the understandable confusion ...
Mary

Dominick Aielloeaver
January 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Poolratt. Can you tell me how to get the milage form off of excel. I get to excel and then I am lost. Or can you E- mail me a copy. E- mail is beavercda@cox.net. Thank you Dom.:groovy: :wave:

poolraat
January 17th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Poolratt. Can you tell me how to get the milage form off of excel. I get to excel and then I am lost. Or can you E- mail me a copy. E- mail is beavercda@cox.net. Thank you Dom.:groovy: :wave:

Go to the USMS Website and under the fitness section is the info on the event.
Here is a link to the spreadsheat.

http://www.usms.org/fitness/go_the_distance.xls

SwimStud
January 17th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I love this challenge. It makes me go for another couple of hundred yards at training...

blainesapprentice
January 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM
How's everyone doing? Anyone meet any of the big milestones yet?

swim4me
January 17th, 2007, 08:32 PM

I am keeping track of my yardage, but have not been able to swim since last Friday due to the weather in TX. Can't even get out of my driveway!!:mad: :frustrated:

blainesapprentice
January 17th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah...I've been "ooo soo lucky enough to have the ability to trek to and from the pool in the 4 degree weather....twice a day..." haha.

chaos
January 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM

slow start for me 31.7 miles so far.

blainesapprentice
January 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM
oo..I didn't even mention...I hit 50miles today. Kinda a slow start all things considering...but I figure once February passes, I will be able to increase my yardage a little bit.

nancytris
January 17th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Like Rich, I am loving this challenge a LOT :applaud: I too go those couple of extra laps to add to my mileage goals! I am sooooo slow :snore: that it will take me quite a bit of time to reach a milestone for an award! Doesn't matter though -- it is the sticking with it and watching that little graph move forward that makes it fun and meaningful.

Nancy

Dominick Aielloeaver
January 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Kathy. I feel for you in that weather in TEX. But here in AZ. it has been cold but I swim inside at L.A. fitness. I am trying to swim 50 miles a month. All free style (thats the only stroke I can do). As of today I have done, 28 miles. But slow. Hoping I can matain 50 miles a month. This is a 25 meter pool. Good sailing . DOM in AZ.:groovy: :woot:

waves101
January 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Mary - How about a running total of yardage/meters for the week, month and YTD? Anyone else like to see those stats?

CreamPuff
January 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Mary,

I LOVE this - the concept and the excel sheet. Thank you so much for putting this together! Finally, I have a reason to write down my workouts after each morning swim. It's great to mentally go through the workout - sort of as a postmortem.

I'm at 41.90 miles so far. So, I've got some work to do (I was thinking I was averaging 5000 yds a day). Thursdays at my club we swim with stretch cords and parachutes for half the workout which causes our yardage to go from our usual 5000+ to under 4000. Plus, I do lots of stroke and fly. . .
It's super hard, so I guess it's worth it!

Hey - and at the same time, that amount of mileage sort of sounds crazy, if not psycho, to the average person. . . I had no idea I swam 80+ miles a month. :laugh2:

Great event!! THANK YOU!

SwimStud
January 18th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I feel so inadequate right now.

I've only done 6 miles but I only do 2k a training session 3x a week ( I was sick the first week and did less than half). It's working for me though Or at least so my belt and stopwatch say! I know I'd do more yards with a team though.

/flex

CreamPuff
January 18th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I feel so inadequate right now.

I've only done 6 miles but I only do 2k a training session 3x a week ( I was sick the first week and did less than half). It's working for me though Or at least so my belt and stopwatch say! I know I'd do more yards with a team though.

/flex

Hey Rich!

I love your avatar! Is that your dog? I have a fawn colored pug named Frappuccino.

I feel very inadequate next to Blainesapprentice - slow start at 50 miles already this month?! :rofl: Sheesh! I remember when I started up swimming by myself years ago - and it's true in that I'd never be able to do that much yardage by myself. I've got some coaches who really "crack the whip" so to speak!! Thank goodness!

Congratulations on your "belt" and "watch" knowing what really counts! It's a great feeling to have clothes fit well!! Keep up the super work!!

SwimStud
January 18th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Hey Rich!

I love your avatar! Is that your dog? I have a fawn colored pug named Frappuccino.

Congratulations on your "belt" and "watch" knowing what really counts! It's a great feeling to have clothes fit well!! Keep up the super work!!

It is my buddy Ben. He can be totally annoying and stubborn, but that's a Beagle. They just live life their way.

Yeah If I keep the progress up. I may have to buy a FS to pose in too ;) hehehe

Kimberlie Streed
January 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I also have to say I am loving, absolutely LOVING keeping track of my swimming. I have to be careful and not let all the incredible mileage I see others racking up cause me to feel inadequate. So, for those of us counting by yards at this point rather than miles, and by adding my post here and acknowledging my incredibly low yardage (rather than mileage) I hope to encourage other older (over 50) shoulder-compromised swimmers! Year-to-date my total is a whooping 12,175 YARDS = 6.9 miles. It's ok to laugh--I am. You wouldn't believe how happy I am that I am healthy enough to be swimming again. Striving for 200 miles this year and as I gain strength & endurance and hope to be able to make this goal. My other log-in name is "swim n again" and I am trying to figure out how to get back to using that account rather than this one (don't ask how that happened!)

Kimberlie Streed
January 18th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Oh, and TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY, 51, happy and loving every minute of being in the pool!

SwimStud
January 18th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Oh, and TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY, 51, happy and loving every minute of being in the pool!

Hapy Birthday...and good for you that you're back in the water.
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

poolraat
January 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:
Isn't it great to be 50 something and be in shape? I call it my revenge.
I occassionally see old (emphasis on the old) HS and college clasmates of mine and walk away with a smile.
More :banana: :banana: :banana:

Kimberlie Streed
January 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks -- Great to be part of the over-50, in pretty good shape, and in the pool crowd. I was with HS friends last fall (first time in 15 years or so) having a few Friday night beverages around the fire-pit and had to bid my good-bys around 2:00 am so I would be able to get up for my morning workout (gym--not back in the pool yet); none of them could comprehend! Felt great as I walked to my car. These women were the ones I admired as our better HS athletes (b-ball, softball, volleyball & track); my high school had no pool. I was the only one still active in any way -- how sad!

And to Richjb -- Your holding up great to the banters about the new "nick for dick" name. As a breastroker myself I have some trouble watching the beating you are taking about our great stroke of choice. Stay strong in the battle of swim dominance w/breastroke. I've been working w/FlyQueen, slowly bringing her along to the lighter side of breastroke.

marysweat
January 18th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Mary - How about a running total of yardage/meters for the week, month and YTD? Anyone else like to see those stats?

Hi Jeff,

Let me tell you a little bit about what I was thinking for the results so far ..... and then everyone can help with suggestions on things they would like to see.

I hope that at the end of January lots of folks will enter and send me the distance they swam during January! I've actually already received some entries - woo hoo! I intend on compiling the results and posting them on the website on a monthly basis. I know some of you are interested in weekly data - but I'm not sure the web folks are up for weekly updates (!) and we will have to see how much email I get (!) - more on this later.

I will keep the monthly and ytd running total of miles swam for each participant. These will be listed and I hope to be able to provide a graph of your progress per month - anyone interested in this?

The main feature will be the lists of folks who reach each distance milestone.

There will also be some graphs showing how far participants are swimming from groups around the nation. I'm thinking of breaking it down by Zone and LMSC at this point. So, let the friendly competition between zones and lmsc's begin!

And ... we can also have a look at the progress per age group and sex.

So, there's lots of things I can provide - I just need to know what you would like and make sure those items are provided.

My biggest curiosity (and biggest unknown so far) is the level of participation for this event. I would love to see lots and lots of folks participating! But this means tons of email and a bunch of files to post on the website each month. However, with any luck, we will have to solve this problem!

Maybe some day we can have daily on-line tracking and data compilation - whoa! But this will require extensive effort, energy and time for our web folks. So at this point, I'm thinking this might be feasible but it is really dependent on if the level of participation warrants it.

So please let me know the kind of results you would like to see (and stuff you don't care about too!). We can January as a test run and modify things as we go into February!

Mary

Dominick Aielloeaver
January 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Poolratt. Thank you for your response on the spread sheet, for go the distance, 2007. But I am still having trouble.(excel). Can you tell me Excatly which buttons to press. Thank you ,Dom In AZ.:drink:

poolraat
January 18th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Poolratt. Thank you for your response on the spread sheet, for go the distance, 2007. But I am still having trouble.(excel). Can you tell me Excatly which buttons to press. Thank you ,Dom In AZ.:drink:

I'm not quite sure how to help, but I'll try.
First, are you able to copy the spreadsheet to your computer?
Once you open the file you should see a graph and a pie chart at the top of the page. Scroll down using the arrow keys until you see a yellow area that is labeled "Please enter data" Use the "right" arrow key to get the highlighted box to the Yards column then the "down" arrow key to get to the correct date. Type in your daily yardage and hit any arrow key. Then save and exit.
Hope this helps.
If you have a friend or coworker that uses Excel ask them to help.

swim4me
January 18th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Kathy. I feel for you in that weather in TEX. But here in AZ. it has been cold but I swim inside at L.A. fitness. I am trying to swim 50 miles a month. All free style (thats the only stroke I can do). As of today I have done, 28 miles. But slow. Hoping I can matain 50 miles a month. This is a 25 meter pool. Good sailing . DOM in AZ.:groovy: :woot:

Thanks Dom! I swim indoors too, but the ice was 2 inches thick on the driveway and I have a long steeply sloping driveway. I could not get out of my house:frustrated: . Things better today though. Went to work and will swim in the morning (5:30). :groovy: :woot:

hrietz
January 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Hey Rich!

YEAH!!! I have a fawn colored pug named Lucy and we plan on getting a black colored little sister this spring (after Y Nationals).

nancytris
January 18th, 2007, 09:53 PM
:bow: I am so glad to read Rich's and Kimberlie's posts! They have helped relieve my feeling of being too inadequate to even participate in this event. To date I have done 7 miles and am hopeful to MAYBE get to 15 by the end of the month. I am not a member of any team and get to the pool three times a week for my solo swim and am verrry slowwww:snore: :snore:

I am a member of your over 50 group Kimberlie -- way over. At 65 I stay very active, and have all of my life. I have done a few sprint distance triathlons (as in Nanytris) but am NOT a runner:shakeshead: :shakeshead: :shakeshead: :shakeshead: , and cycling is my greatest passion (did a tour in France this Fall). I have developed plantar fasciitis and have not been able to do much running although I continue to try to do some. In addition to swimming, I fit in a couple of days of cycling/spinning, a couple of days of strength training at the gym, a few walk/runs when I can (with distant hopes of perhaps more tris this year), and work full time. And then there's life!:joker:

I played on all varsity teams in all sports, but as with Kimberlie my high school did not have a pool, and I have never swum competitively. I was what one would call a "river rat" and spent every day all summer in the river with cousins and friends, so have a love affair with water activities. If a master's team is ever available close by, I will try to join them for work outs. In the mean time I will simply count those yards and meters to rack up what becomes miles (minimal as that might be). I am happy to do a variety of activities and think it good for my body if I mix up how and when I use its parts. I know that I continue to be much more active than any of my highschool classmates and teammates, and take pride in my lifetime fitness choices.

Now I know :D this is much more than anyone really wants to know about me, and I have gotten a bit off topic, but my fingers just kept talking to this keyboard and I couldn't stop them.

Anyway -- thanks for being here -- I will try to keep these fingers under better control in future posts:dunno: , and Mary, thanks for this fantastic event.

Nancy

SwimStud
January 18th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Impressive stuff.

Nancy, You're an inspiration to me! Wow that would be a lot if you were 25! By that I don't mean 65 is past it...no way, but compared to many of your peers...you have no need to feel inadequate whatsoever. You're way ahead of me!
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :drink:

marysweat
January 18th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Hi Folks (especially Nacny, richjb and Kimberlie!),

I'm so jazzed that you are interested in this new event! I really look forward to seeing your posts - especially when you chat about your progress. I'm even more anxious to hear from you all at the end of the month to see how far you swam in January!

I think it's important for us all to remember where we started ... and how far we have come - regardless of how it compares to anyone else. It really doesn't matter if you swim 50 miles in one year ... or in one month - it's the personal challenge that this is all about. That's what is so cool about swimming - we can actually quantify our progress - whether it be speed, distance (endurance) or sheer enjoyment (I know I'm easier to live with when I swim every day!).

As an 8 year old, my brother and I did a 50 mile challenge offered by the Amrerican Red Cross. That got me hooked on swimming - and on accepting challenges. I started on my first swim team a few years later when we moved to a place that had one. That's where the idea regarding this event came from ...

Since then, I've done my fair share of really dumb things (like taking 20 years off of swimming and ... ahhh ...some other really stupid things you can probably guess). But when I started swimming again at 35 .... I could hardly swim 500 yards. Now ... I will rarely swim a 500 because it's too short (!) ... go figure. But all in all, it's always good to remind oneself just how far we have come ..... and enjoy the good feelings that come with it.

So enjoy the ride, swim to your hearts content and be happy and satisfied with your accomplishments whatever they may be!
Mary

Julie Roddin
January 19th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Mary, you are awesome! I always track my yardage. Heck I wanted to get to 500,000 yards by the end of 2006 and have a really funny story about it.

I went to GMU, where I frequently swim on my own, on New Year's Eve knowing that a: the pool closed at 2 pm and b: that I needed to get in 3,000 yards. I knew that as long as I got in the pool by 1:15 pm that I would be fine because the web site said that the pool closed at 2 pm. I arrived shortly after 1 pm and the nice girl at the front desk asked me if I knew that the pool closed at 1:30? WHAT????? But I needed to swim for 45 minutes. Ok, I am fine with this. I won't get to 500,000 but I might as well stay to use up my last punch pass that expired that day.

I got in, swam 1750 yards and then the lifeguard closed the pool. I was fine with it. But as I walked to my car, I just knew that I had to finish my workout. I drove about 6 miles down the road to the county recreation center (which was still open), put on my wet bathing suit and finished my swim. As I drove home, I felt proud of myself for accomplishing the yardage goal that I set for myself earlier in the year. Now, I didn't HAVE to take 3 months off swimming AND leave the last 3,000 until the last day of the year, but I did!!!

So, what I'm trying to say is that I love a good challenge. I am psyched about your challenge and that I have now met so many other people on this discussion group who are working towards the same milestones! It will be fun!

Julie- at 46,550 yards for January.

ensignada
January 19th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I got in, swam 1750 yards and then the lifeguard closed the pool. I was fine with it. But as I walked to my car, I just knew that I had to finish my workout. I drove about 6 miles down the road to the county recreation center (which was still open), put on my wet bathing suit and finished my swim. As I drove home, I felt proud of myself for accomplishing the yardage goal that I set for myself earlier in the year.

You know, Julie, I think there are 10-step programs to help with problems like this. ;)

For me, that is mind-boggling mileage you're doing (I started swimming in Nov). I want to be like you when I grow up.

Kimberlie Streed
February 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM
Wwo Hhoo! It's Feb. 1, that means we have all tallied our January yardage (mileage for the real Masters of Masters Swimming). Just wanted to ask how everyone did? I finished up about where I anticipated, 29,125 yards/16.54 miles. I know, not a lot by most standards but a good start for me. I'm also happy with the quality of my swims, a lot of good drill sets and good sprint sets w/plenty of rest and of course some distance sets as well. This will not rack up tons of miles for me but will get me faster so that when I join all of you in Austin 2008 I will have made the cuts by more than the skin of my teeth. Nancytris, how'd you do -- you were thinking you would get to about 15 miles by the end of Jan. Hope you made it!

I mentioned the event to one of my coaches and was surprised at his negative response: "An event that only keeps track of yardage will encourage less quality swimming." I told him he was wrong (based on what I said above)! Wondering if others participating in this event agree with me.

Can't wait till March 1 to see if I get up to 20 miles!

chaos
February 1st, 2007, 02:54 PM
i eeked out just over 50 miles. missed a bunch of days with sinus issues.

Julie Roddin
February 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
i eeked out just over 50 miles. missed a bunch of days with sinus issues.

I made it 36 miles. Not quite what I had planned, but this darn back pain has kept me out of the pool for most of the last two weeks. I may have to go to the doctor. Ice, heat, ibuprofen, stretching don't seem to be making it any better :confused:

SwimStud
February 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM
12 Miles here...:woot:

marysweat
February 1st, 2007, 03:40 PM
Hi Folks,

Just a quick update on the new event "Go the Distance"! I am receiving a steady stream of emails from folks entering this event - I'm pretty jazzed about the response so far - but I think there might be a bunch more of you out there that haven't entered yet .... come join the fun!

Remember, it's simple and free! Just email Mary Sweat at gothedistance@swimoregon.org with your name, usms id, age, sex, email address and the distance you swam in January - how easy is that!?!

So far there has been a huge range of distances that folks swam in January.... from under 5 miles to over 150 miles - so there's some friendly competition out there for everyone!

If you haven't "tracked" your mileage religiously - no problem. You can send me a "pretty good guess" if that will get you started and participating!

Please spread the word - enthusiasm is contagious.

I hope to hear from you all soon!
Mary

poolraat
February 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM
I mentioned the event to one of my coaches and was surprised at his negative response: "An event that only keeps track of yardage will encourage less quality swimming." I told him he was wrong (based on what I said above)! Wondering if others participating in this event agree with me.

I can't believe he would be so negative. I'm not doing this just to log miles, I'm entering the yardage from my daily workouts, which varies from 1800 to 3500 depending on what I'm doing. Sprint and stroke days will be shorter yardage than long free intervals.

I got just over 30 mi.

SwimStud
February 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM
I can't believe he would be so negative. I'm not doing this just to log miles, I'm entering the yardage from my daily workouts, which varies from 1800 to 3500 depending on what I'm doing. Sprint and stroke days will be shorter yardage than long free intervals.

I got just over 30 mi.

Yeah doing it b/c it's just mileage is true. I think most of us are here logging our workout and race dstances to total them.

CreamPuff
February 1st, 2007, 05:25 PM
Wwo Hhoo! It's Feb. 1, that means we have all tallied our January yardage (mileage for the real Masters of Masters Swimming). Just wanted to ask how everyone did? I finished up about where I anticipated, 29,125 yards/16.54 miles. I know, not a lot by most standards but a good start for me. I'm also happy with the quality of my swims, a lot of good drill sets and good sprint sets w/plenty of rest and of course some distance sets as well. This will not rack up tons of miles for me but will get me faster so that when I join all of you in Austin 2008 I will have made the cuts by more than the skin of my teeth. Nancytris, how'd you do -- you were thinking you would get to about 15 miles by the end of Jan. Hope you made it!

Can't wait till March 1 to see if I get up to 20 miles!

Kimberlie,
Great job on your first month!! Keep it up! I think you can reach your goal.

Question for you on your coach's comment. Is he or she currently a masters swimmer? For me, it's fun, interesting, novel ideas like "Go the Distance" that keep me motivated and psyched about swimming every day. Does he or she swim and compete regularly as an adult? (Not asking if he/ she *was* an accomplished swimmer as a youth/ young adult.) Thanks for filling us in.

Kimberlie Streed
February 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM
This coach with the negative attitude towards the event has been swimming regularly with the masters team for a number of years, he is a triathlete and when he swims in meets it is mostly distance events. That's why I asked if he was aware of the "Go The Distance" event; I thought it would really appeal to him and I thought maybe he could inspire some of our other team members to join also... maybe a number of our team members could enjoy this distance event together! I'm still going to try to get others to join in.

I agree with you..."Go The Distance" will help me stay motivated each day; I enjoy seeing what my work adds up to, and that is different than just swimming to add up yardage.

Donna
February 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM
62 miles here and counting... This beat my max last year of 54 miles for a month.

Being a distance swimmer yardage is a must, but for sprinters its a different ball of wax. This from a wan-a-be sprinter but turned distance swimmer due to a large triathelete base on my club.

Donna

CreamPuff
February 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Wow! So much for my theory. I was thinking that he had not "walked in masters' shoes" and was simply making a statement about something he had no idea about. For me, it's anything to prevent boredom and to encourage participation and excitement. :dunno: :dunno:

I'd chalk it up to his being extra cranky from his bike shorts being too tight that day. :rofl:

Kimberlie Streed
February 1st, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hehe, funny, I'll try to remember that one for the next time he's not smiling while giving us the workout!

ensignada
February 1st, 2007, 07:39 PM
I swam 7 miles, which is 7 miles more than I've swam any year in my life. Woo-hoo! :groovy:

nancytris
February 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM
This is simply a fantastic event:applaud: ! Kimberlie -- I came in just under my 15 mile goal at 13 miles and I am quite pleased. I certainly agree with all the others here about your coach being off the track. If I only swam for distance not even this event could add much interest. I enjoy doing different things almost each workout -- unless I find one I like a lot and stay with that for about a week -- and add just an extra lap or two of warm up or cool down to see those meters climb:groovy: I don't think that's a bad thing... AND, I now do a much longer workout than I had been doing and not simply to add distance. It just gives me a focus.

I am very satisfied with January's mileage but I did miss a time or two in the pool (life you know). If I continue to be consistent for February I am going to once again aim for that elusive 15 miles!

Great work everyone -- I love being a member of the "group".

Nancy

blainesapprentice
February 1st, 2007, 08:31 PM
I did 74.50miles. :wiggle:

SwimStud
February 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM
Great work everyone -- I love being a member of the "group".

Nancy

Nancy do you mean a member of the "Shoal" ;) hehe

OH Morgan.. Way to Go!

nancytris
February 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
"Shoal" will work Rich!

OMG -- 74+ miles in one month. I cannot imagine that let alone do it! Way to swim Morgan!

swim n again
February 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Kimberlie here from my old log-in,Swim n again, (laptop at home) that I can't remember how to get into from work so I accidentally created the new Kimberlie Streed trying to get into the forum one day -- ANYWHO --

blainesapprentice (Morgan, right?) how do you one get to 74.5 miles in a month? That is awesome. :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: Mind if I ask how old you are?

Rich, sorry to have to ask, it's probably obvious, but what does "Shoal" mean?

And, Nancy, what about "OMG"? Unfortunately I'm as slow in the water as I am in everything else. Gives my family a lot to laugh about! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nancytris
February 2nd, 2007, 10:21 PM
OMG was in reference to Morgan's 74.5 miles in one month:confused: How in the world does one to THAT I can't help but wonder! I simply wonder -- I will never be there at this point in my life, but find it wondersome:laugh2:

Keep on keeping on Kimberlie -- we slow ones do just as much work as those fast ones!

SwimStud
February 2nd, 2007, 10:41 PM
Rich, sorry to have to ask, it's probably obvious, but what does "Shoal" mean?

It's another,perhaps British word, for group of fish. Whereas "school" is used here. There may be a marine Biologist among us that can clarify. Shoal may be specific to a type of fish. I'll investigate.

blainesapprentice
February 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah 74.5miles. It makes me question if I spend any time on land haha.

but yeah, I'm 20--well 21 in less than a month...and most of that yardage is just yarbage from swim team stuff. This month will be a lot less, because we're tapering for 8 days...then have a 5day championship meet....then I start swimming on my own...which hopefully I will still be able to get in 6000 yards at least every other day and maybe 4-5k on the opposite days...we'll see.

nancytris
February 5th, 2007, 01:58 PM
:o AH! age 20. That explains a lot! And now I don't feel quite as inadequate!!:wave:

LindsayNB
February 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Masters Swimming Canada has a similar program called the Million Metre Challenge:
http://mymsc.ca/Million.jsp

And some people expressed similar concerns when it first started, but on the whole I think the program has done more to encourage people to make that extra practice or not skip a set than to just swim mindless distance. The idea is to record what you do, not to change all your workouts to distance freestyle! It's very nice to be able to look back at how far you have swum and how many workouts you have done. The program has been very popular and has provided a lot of motivation for a lot of people, I'm sure that Go the Distance will do the same for USMS!

Kimberlie Streed
February 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I'm realizing that what attracts me to USMS Discussion Forum is all the positive attitudes. ...the idea is to record what you do not convert your workouts to distance freestyle!... well said Lindsay, thanks.

Morgan, you'll probably swim more during your taper than I do the whole month. Maybe this could be my personal challenge for Feb., do more this month than you manage to do during taper.

SwimStud
February 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I'm realizing that what attracts me to USMS Discussion Forum is all the positive attitudes. ...the idea is to record what you do not convert your workouts to distance freestyle!... well said Lindsay, thanks.

Morgan, you'll probably swim more during your taper than I do the whole month. Maybe this could be my personal challenge for Feb., do more this month than you manage to do during taper.

Attagurl Kimberlie hehe. Morgan's mileage makes me wince just reading it!

nancytris
February 5th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I enjoyed the website Lindsay. And I agree that you put it well when you explain the goal of Go the Distance. It wasn't clear to me if the Canada challenged needs a membership?

I will actually be in NB this summer (I live in the Seattle area). I will be bicycling with Atlantic Cycling for about two weeks. I am hopeful to fit in a swim or two while there even though chances of that are slim. If I figure out what towns we will be in perhaps you could name a pool nearby that would welcome a nonmember. At the beginning of August we start with our 3 day rally in St. George, then bike up the St. John River to Quebec. Not much detail I know, but I haven't looked at it all very closely yet.

LindsayNB
February 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM
The Canadian Million Metre Challenge is intended for members of Masters Swimming Canada. You have to specify your club from the list of Canadian clubs.

You will go by Fredericton, NB which has a masters club that welcomes guest swimmers, further north there is a club in Edmonston, and you may pass some clubs in Quebec, depending on your route. There is a club list with locations on the mymsc.ca site, under the MSC menu.

knelson
February 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM
:o AH! age 20. That explains a lot! And now I don't feel quite as inadequate!!:wave:

Yeah, it's a huge amount by masters standards, but not crazy by college standards. There are lots of programs who routinely do more than 50,000 yards per week. This translates to somewhere around 120 miles per month! :eek:

I remember I logged all my workouts one season in college and I easily surpassed one million yards. The season is about five months long. I'd find the one million mark to be very challenging now for an entire year (you need to maintain nearly 20K per week).

knelson
February 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Have the January results been posted yet? I don't see them.

I'm interested to see who the people were that managed > 100 miles! :eek:

waves101
February 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Kirk -

I got an email on Friday from Mary indicating she had submitted the results to the webmaster(s) to get them posted. Should be any day now.

blainesapprentice
February 12th, 2007, 01:39 PM
People really did over 100miles last month?

waves101
February 12th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Yes, I believe Mary said there were 3 people over 100 miles and 26 over 50 miles. Should see results soon.

marysweat
February 12th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Yep .... there were 3 women that went over 100 miles in January!!!

There were also 26 folks that made it to the 50 mile distance milestone the first month.

However, there are well over 200 entries in this event so far (I get entries almost every day now!) that appear to be swimming lots, tracking their mileage and hopefully having fun! Now this is what this event is all about!

Stay tuned for the January results to see who these awesome women are and how many of your pals have entered. I submitted the results to our USMS web folks last Friday (2/9) so hopefully they will be posted soon ....

I hope you all will spread the word to your swimming pals ... Folks can enter at any time - and if they have their January mileage I will be happy to enter that too!

Mary

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Yep .... there were 3 women that went over 100 miles in January!!!

There were also 26 folks that made it to the 50 mile distance milestone the first month.

However, there are well over 200 entries in this event so far (I get entries almost every day now!) that appear to be swimming lots, tracking their mileage and hopefully having fun! Now this is what this event is all about!

Stay tuned for the January results to see who these awesome women are and how many of your pals have entered. I submitted the results to our USMS web folks last Friday (2/9) so hopefully they will be posted soon ....

I hope you all will spread the word to your swimming pals ... Folks can enter at any time - and if they have their January mileage I will be happy to enter that too!

Mary

Mary are you tracking your mileage too? I think you should get bonus miles for all the emails you're dealing with and compiling the results! ;) Rich

marysweat
February 12th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Mary are you tracking your mileage too? I think you should get bonus miles for all the emails you're dealing with and compiling the results! ;) Rich

Yep ... I've been tracking my mileage .... and have officially entered this event too! You all might have guessed by now that I just love to play with numbers ... possibly an obsession of mine ?!?

Bonus miles for dealing with the entries eh? Hmmmm .... maybe 1 per email!?!? Maybe then I could keep up with our awesome high mileage ladies!

There indeed are a lot of emails ... but lots of benefits. First, I get to "meet" some really great folks (my favorite part of this event!). And I did get one "very yummy" care package from my Alaskan swimming pals with their entries (I used to swim with them when I lived in Anchorage!). I'll have to swim extra to work off the goodies ...

Mary

swimshark
February 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Mary, your Alaskan buddies are just sending you motivation to get more yardage in. hee-hee

As for yards, the "fast" group in the kids team can easily do 12,000 yds during their 3 hour Sat practice. Ah, to be young and not have families to worry about :wiggle:

Alison

chaos
February 14th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I shovelled about 10,000 yards worth of snow today, but the excel sheet has no column for such credit:(

Tomorrow is another day.............

SwimStud
February 14th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I shovelled about 10,000 yards worth of snow today, but the excel sheet has no column for such credit:(

Tomorrow is another day.............

LOL Tell me about it. I wimped out and got the thrower out. I am not blowing my discs out for snow!

blainesapprentice
February 15th, 2007, 08:08 AM
the results havent been posted yet right?

matysekj
February 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM
The January results are now available at www.usms.org/fitness/content/gothedistance07 (http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/gothedistance07).

nancytris
February 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM
:applaud: :applaud: Hooray for all of us!!! This should help get me in the pool for the year!

chaos
February 15th, 2007, 09:36 PM
oops. noticed a typo

my distance should read 50.39 (not 59.39)

should i correct it with febs total?

marysweat
February 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
oops. noticed a typo

my distance should read 50.39 (not 59.39)

should i correct it with febs total?

Hi David,

Thanks for letting me know ... I've corrected the typo (oopps sorry about that)!
Mary

knelson
February 15th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I'm absolutely astounded that someone swam 155.28 miles! That works out to 273,290 yards or 61710 yards per week, 8816 yards per day.

I should hit that distance around late April if I'm lucky! :eek:

jim clemmons
February 16th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Kirk,

Some people just have less time restraints than we do.

Frank Thompson
February 16th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I'm absolutely astounded that someone swam 155.28 miles! That works out to 273,290 yards or 61710 yards per week, 8816 yards per day.

I should hit that distance around late April if I'm lucky! :eek:

Kirk:

Just think if Dennis Baker turned in his January stats. He had 116 K in that week he did the installments for Swimming World.

knelson
February 16th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Some people just have less time restraints than we do.

I'll tell you what; even if I quit my job I can't imagine putting in that kind of yardage. That's on par with what Division I college distance swimmers are doing.

Frank Thompson
February 16th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I'll tell you what; even if I quit my job I can't imagine putting in that kind of yardage. That's on par with what Division I college distance swimmers are doing.

Not necessarily. If you are subscribing to the "High Intensity" methods that are advocated by David Salo would be just fine. Meaning the 33.61 miles that you logged for the month of January might be a little low but not far off of what the Division I swimmers do with this type of training.