PDA

View Full Version : For the ladies....tights???

Concho Pearl
December 30th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I guess this could be for the guys too....

I was watching our HS swim team a few weeks ago. I notice that all the girls were wearing 2 suits and leg tights. I too wear the 2 suits, but tights?? I asked one of the girls why?
She replied " for drag"

The leg tights was new to me, does any of us mature swimmers wear tights for drag.

dorothyrde
December 31st, 2006, 10:03 AM
ewwww, can you imagine having to go to the bathroom and getting wet tights back on.

Donna
December 31st, 2006, 12:41 PM
In the old days (70's) we used to wear two suits, tee shirt with the sleaves cut out and sometimes we would add tights for drag.

Donna

swim4me
December 31st, 2006, 12:51 PM
When I was competing in the '70s, I would also swim with 2 suits and a T-shirt when training for championships. My times were always improved and it felt much easier to swim when I actually raced.

FlyQueen
January 1st, 2007, 03:40 PM
This happens a lot before big meets or when you shave for a meet, but it isn't your taper meet. In high school girls used to shave for conference, but not taper until Sectionals (where you make state cuts) ... for the practices between conference and sectionals they would wear tights.

I've been known to throw on a pair right before a big meet, but they really weigh down your legs and I think negatively impacted my breaststroke if it's possible for that to get worse ...

SwimStud
January 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM
...but they really weigh down your legs and I think negatively impacted my breaststroke ...

Sure...blame the tights...:thhbbb:

~Wren~
January 1st, 2007, 11:42 PM
I probably wouldn't do it now, but I did in HS. We wore them with the old striped team suits from the 60s or 70s - very stylish. :laugh2:

Allen Stark
January 2nd, 2007, 02:06 AM
In high school we would swim in sweat suits and tennis shoes. It made us feel like we were really doing something,but I expect it was bad for our stroke mechanics.

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Recently, I saw some guys working out with panty hose on. they wore them under jammers. I owndered if they bought them or were using old ones from their mothers or sisters. I thought, "Mom I need your panty hose."

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Recently, I saw some guys working out with panty hose on. they wore them under jammers. I owndered if they bought them or were using old ones from their mothers or sisters. I thought, "Mom I need your panty hose."

Like I need any more abuse! It's bad enough having to defend Speedos and body shaves the minute someone finds out about swimming seriously. The girls have it easy on that side of things!

FlyQueen
January 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Like I need any more abuse! It's bad enough having to defend Speedos and body shaves the minute someone finds out about swimming seriously. The girls have it easy on that side of things!

Right, we get accused of being on steroids, stop shaving our legs, seem to always have wet hair, "smell like the pool" and all sorts of other things that supposed to be bad for girls ...

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Right, we get accused of being on steroids, stop shaving our legs, seem to always have wet hair, "smell like the pool" and all sorts of other things that supposed to be bad for girls ...

Get some ultra swim shampoo and there is a anti chlorine body wash too. It's made a difference for me...

Yeah you get offensive comments but nobody, nobody outside of swimming takes a guy with ladysmoothe legs in a Speedo seriously...at least not on this continent...

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah you get offensive comments but nobody, nobody outside of swimming takes a guy with ladysmoothe legs in a Speedo seriously...at least not on this continent...

Sure they do. Cyclists, triathletes and some runners shave their legs. It makes it easier to clean the cuts and injuries they get when flying off their bikes or falling/tripping on the trail because of poor falling down technique. Just check out La Lance's legs.

FlyQueen
January 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Very true, my brother rode professionally and shaved his legs ... and continued to shave his legs for ages after too because he liked it better ... I think it also has a bit to do with drag

~Wren~
January 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Sure they do. Cyclists, triathletes and some runners shave their legs. It makes it easier to clean the cuts and injuries they get when flying off their bikes or falling/tripping on the trail because of poor falling down technique. Just check out La Lance's legs.

So true. In my last spinning class, I don't think there were any guys with hair on their legs.

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Girls, girls, girls...
You're talking about athletes who would respect your athleticism in kind.
I mean the poplace in general. Ask 5 random people about a guy in speedos...they will giggle.

As for DRAG...that is not a word I would bring into the conversation when talking about shaving legs...I say it improves hydrodynamics...

I thought it was bad dancing ballet as a teen...

~Wren~
January 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I thought it was bad dancing ballet as a teen...

Ah, but what a place to meet girls! Straight male dancers can have their pick of the company. ;)

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Very true, my brother rode professionally and shaved his legs ... and continued to shave his legs for ages after too because he liked it better ... I think it also has a bit to do with drag

I think they just want to show off their toned quads and diamond calves.

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Ah, but what a place to meet girls! Straight male dancers can have their pick of the company. ;)

I'll take the 5th. Wow was that really 20 years ago...;)

~Wren~
January 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I'll take the 5th. Wow was that really 20 years ago...;)

See, it wasn't that bad. :p

ensignada
January 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM
In college, I worked summers at the velodrome in Indianapolis. Quite a few riders would ride their bikes to the facility - which had a hairy hill with gravel at the bottom just outside the parking lot. I've picked a lot of gravel out of guys hips, thighs and rears. It was so much easier for both me and the poor rider when there was no hair that needed plucking or pushing when I had the tweezers out. I totally understand male athletes in general who shave.

knelson
January 4th, 2007, 05:56 PM
So true. In my last spinning class, I don't think there were any guys with hair on their legs.

They've really got to learn how to ride a stationary bike w/o falling off :joker:

ensignada
January 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM
They've really got to learn how to ride a stationary bike w/o falling off :joker:

Too funny. Just too funny.

stussy96
January 5th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Off current topic of bikes...but I remember wearing tights 10 or so years ago (wow, I am getting old, fast). I was/am a big dork...and in HS I thought it was awesome to be wearing my sparkly blue tights. Then I thought I'd be really funny and started wearing control-top tights.

Yes, I was a real winner.

Now I am just lazy and have hairy legs. This does not thrill the husband.

Donna
January 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Stacey.

I can relate to the hairy legs... But next week they get shaved, got a meet.

Donna

blainesapprentice
January 6th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Taper/tights wearing time, is my favorite part of the season!! We all look all year long for the most extravegent pair of tights possible, and then sport them for 3 weeks or so leading up to championships and ncaa's. A colorful, happy-making pair of tights makes the extra work of pulling them through the pool so worth it:-D

theres actually a website online that sells AWESOME tights, so if any of you ever are looking for some sweet tights to scare away the competition, or have little girls at home who like wearing tights, certainly head there.

Morgan

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM

I bet they didn't shave because of spinning class!

Bill Sive
November 20th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Reviving this topic.

Anyone Male or Female use these for training?

http://www.swimmerschoice.com/drag-tights/

Comments positive or negative.

I am considering them if they help me swim faster for a swim meet.

swimshark
November 20th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Reviving this topic.

Anyone Male or Female use these for training?

http://www.swimmerschoice.com/drag-tights/

Comments positive or negative.

I am considering them if they help me swim faster for a swim meet.

I wonder if they are any better than just using a pair of tights with the feet cut out. We use pantyhose as kids and they held up fairly well for a few weeks.

savaden
November 20th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Wear briefs and you have to swim faster... with an angry mob chasing you! :D Or just to prove that you have the "right" to wear them. There are a couple of women where I swim that wear full body cover swimming. I think it is just modesty. If you are just working out, there is no need to go fast, it's all the same anyway. I always want to go faster, though. Maybe someday I will. :)

Bill Sive
November 20th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Drag Tights - I'm willing to go there. I can start a male syncro team and we can get matching drag tights and do the syncro version of swan lake in the pool. I can see that now at the beginning of the next swim meet. Hilarious.

Panty Hose - I am not going to cross that line, no way, no how.

Indoor pools I wear a regular drag suit. Outdoor pools I were swim briefs, for tanning purposes. Unless its cloudy, then I might wear jammers.