PDA

View Full Version : Swimming "compromised"

Redbird Alum
December 31st, 2006, 02:46 PM
I would be interested in your collective thoughts on swimming with a cold, the flu, or worse. Two issues to consider...

1.) Exercise helps stimulate the body and may help with overcoming the illness, or at least it's symptoms. I'm not a doctor, so some feedback on this would be appreciated.

2.) As noted in another thread, what about your fellow swimmers, are you putting them at risk and possibly spreading whatever it is you have as we all gasp the same air at the end of the lanes? Again, not being a doctor, I would be interested in thoughts on how real (or imagined) this risk may be.

Happy New Year!

Donna
December 31st, 2006, 02:59 PM
I have always swam unless I was severly under the weather (usually a stomach flu). By swimming every day I can I must say that a head cold tends to be all I have to deal with. When I am not feeling well I do tend to make it more of a recovery day workout, than a quality/intense workout.

In my younger days I could remember having the flu and shaking down the thermometer so my mom would let me swim in an upcoming meet. Yes I still was running a fever over 100 the day of the meet but after the meet (not one of my better ones) I no longer was running a fever and felt alot better after. It may have also helped that the pool was on the cooler side and could have been all I needed to get rid of the fever.

Donna

SwimStud
December 31st, 2006, 03:10 PM
I have always swam unless I was severly under the weather (usually a stomach flu).
Donna

Yeah that knocked the stuffing out of me this weekend. Although it was mild food poisioning...similar symptomns. Unless you're coughing and spluttering you're porbably OK. I was debating today and decided to go but my pool is closed. However, I now feel a bit weary again so perhaps it is better I rested more.
I must say since swimming (Oct) I really haven't been too ill at all; a sniffle or two but nothing beyond a runny nose for a day or so.

ensignada
December 31st, 2006, 04:01 PM
Having the sniffles seems to be my steady state since I started swimming again, so unless I feel too ill to drive to the pool, I'm there.

fanstone
December 31st, 2006, 04:23 PM
Sometimes I feel sorta lazy, try to figure out if I have a cold or not. Usually going to the swimming practice will be better than not. I don't think swimming will make any health condition worse. Couple of thoughts: viruses are transmitted almost entirely by mouth-hand, hand-hand, and then hand-mouth again. The actual air-air transmission is pretty rare unless you breathe into a sneeze. So I wouldn't worry about getting a virus in a swimming pool environment or transmitting a virus same way. Healthy 2007! billy fanstone

FindingMyInnerFish
December 31st, 2006, 05:07 PM
Helpful thread since I just had a cold. I also had to finish up a project so that cut into my time/energy for swimming or running in a big way. Actually, though, I think needing to finish my project kept me still and probably got me through this cold sooner than might have happened otherwise. I still did some light exercise, just some walking/easy running, a little easy swimming, but nothing much. Today I did a lighter workout also, and felt as if I could have done a good deal more, which I took to be a good sign.

I'll pick up the schedule again this week, but here's a question to follow up Redbird's...

If you cut back or took time off for, say, a week, how quickly did you return to your regular workout schedule?

A week ago yesterday, I struggled through a one-hour practice, constantly feeling as if I was going to have to stop, and was very slow a lot of the time. Today, I shortened the two hour practice to a little over an hour, took things easier, and felt pretty good, but obviously want to get the yards back up again.

Happy New Year, all!

Redbird Alum
December 31st, 2006, 05:40 PM
If you cut back or took time off for, say, a week, how quickly did you return to your regular workout schedule?

Great question. For me, it takes a little over a week. For some reason, the first week back is a struggle against the demons that got me out of my practice rythm in the first place. Since I swim alone about half the time, that makes the demon voices even louder!

SwimStud
January 2nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
Great question. For me, it takes a little over a week. For some reason, the first week back is a struggle against the demons that got me out of my practice rythm in the first place. Since I swim alone about half the time, that makes the demon voices even louder!

The way I have been coughing I am frightened to swim.. I doubt I could breathe properly...:(

~Wren~
January 2nd, 2007, 12:24 AM
The way I have been coughing I am frightened to swim.. I doubt I could breathe properly...:(

Hope you feel better soon - I had a whopper of a cough just after Thanksgiving. I felt like it would never go away, but it did . . . in the meantime, you could try backstroke. ;) I started as a backstroker because I didn't like to put my face in the water (we need a blushing/embarassed smiley).

SwimStud
January 2nd, 2007, 12:36 AM
Hope you feel better soon - I had a whopper of a cough just after Thanksgiving. I felt like it would never go away, but it did . . . in the meantime, you could try backstroke. ;) I started as a backstroker because I didn't like to put my face in the water (we need a blushing/embarassed smiley).

It only just started today. I'll see how my pipes are tomorrow. Right now my chest is just really tight.

Hehe I had a dog that hated water. He'd hop over puddles to keep his paws dry.
By that, I mean it's a perfectly natural thing to not like to immerse your face in water.

Allen Stark
January 2nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
I have hreard it is OK to workout if your symptoms are above the neck,but if you have a productive cough,GI symptoms or feel toxic don't workout. I read in a study of age groupers that those who took up to a week off with cold symptoms did better than those who kept swimming,that the time off didn't hurt them but the ones who kept swimming were sicker longer on average.

dorothyrde
January 2nd, 2007, 08:18 AM
I have hreard it is OK to workout if your symptoms are above the neck,but if you have a productive cough,GI symptoms or feel toxic don't workout. I read in a study of age groupers that those who took up to a week off with cold symptoms did better than those who kept swimming,that the time off didn't hurt them but the ones who kept swimming were sicker longer on average.

I have heard this as well. I have not been sick for 3 years, but I know if I had a cough, I would not swim, and same with my daughter, if she is coughing a lot. Just stuffed up nose, swimming actually loosens it. It also depends on if I or she has been sleeping well. Sometimes with a cold, you can't sleep, and I think exercising on a sick, tired body does not help it one bit. I listen to what my body tells me. I am such an avid exerciser, if it tells me no, I don't because I know I will be back at it soon enough.

SwimStud
January 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
I agree with Allen and you Dorothy. If it's in your chest...it's better to rest. It's loosening so hopefully thursday at latest and I can get back in the pool. I don't want pneumonia.

dorothyrde
January 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM
I agree with Allen and you Dorothy. If it's in your chest...it's better to rest. It's loosening so hopefully thursday at latest and I can get back in the pool. I don't want pneumonia.
Nope you don't that is what I had 3 years ago. I was out of the pool 3 months recovering.

scyfreestyler
January 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
It is my understanding that these illnesses are most contagious just before the symptoms appear. This means that you are doing more harm to your swim buddies by swimming with them before you even know that you are sick than swimming with them as you recover from a cold. My advice? Don't worry about it. Wash your hands regularly. Keep your hands out of your face and eyes. Enjoy life.

SwimStud
January 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Well I am feeling 80% recovered in my chest, and I am going to do a nice half workout today. Maybe half a mile of working on streamline, turns and push offs. I may try some breathing drill..but it may be harder as I stll have a little congestion. Then I'll have 10 mins in the sauna and a hot shower.

The Fortress
January 3rd, 2007, 01:11 PM

Good idea, Wren. I did a lot of backstroke and dolphin kicking on my back yesterday so I could breathe with my never-ending sinus infection. Lots of recovery, technique oriented stuff. About 3500. Then I had to get up very early to take children to early am swim practice and I feel wretched again. I'm blaming it on lack of sleep because "swimming is eating its parents." I may go sit in the steamroom or sauna with Rich ... or take a nap before I'm on mommy duty again.

Dorothy:

How have you avoided illness for 3 years?!?! With kids, I feel like germs are omnipresent, just waiting to attack my poor compromised respiratory system.

If I feel better, maybe I'll have a little recovery swim tonight. Or not. At this rate, I may not be in shape again for awhile. So much for engine building.

Redbird Alum
January 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
This has been very helpful to me. I have a twice a year thing that has never been contagious (my kids and wife and close friends never get it, but it really stuffs the lungs for about a week) but always saps me pretty bad in the pool.

Usually I drink more fluids, get regular sleep intervals and things come around okay within a week or so. I have also found that I need to ease up alot on the swimming, as has been mentioned already.

Thanks for the good advice/discussion.

dorothyrde
January 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
Good idea, Wren. I did a lot of backstroke and dolphin kicking on my back yesterday so I could breathe with my never-ending sinus infection. Lots of recovery, technique oriented stuff. About 3500. Then I had to get up very early to take children to early am swim practice and I feel wretched again. I'm blaming it on lack of sleep because "swimming is eating its parents." I may go sit in the steamroom or sauna with Rich ... or take a nap before I'm on mommy duty again.

Dorothy:

How have you avoided illness for 3 years?!?! With kids, I feel like germs are omnipresent, just waiting to attack my poor compromised respiratory system.

If I feel better, maybe I'll have a little recovery swim tonight. Or not. At this rate, I may not be in shape again for awhile. So much for engine building.

Actually, I was thinking about it, and it was 2003 I had pneumonia, and then 2004 I got this really wicked stomach thing, and I have not had a sniffle since then. I do take Airborne if I feel a tickle. My daughter seems to have a cold constantly in the winter, but I never catch them anymore. I used to be like her and get one cold after another.

Don't know why I have been healthy, so I have probably jinxed myself and come down with something really wicked!