PDA

View Full Version : Happy birthday!

Peter Cruise
January 1st, 2007, 01:45 AM
One of the virtues (of many) of masters swimming is that we all celebrate a birthday on Jan 1st, at least for LCM, SCM. Which means that I am now 55, except in yards, which PNA obviously calculates in deciding when to bid for Nats, so I won't attend in Federal way 'cause besides being measured in 'yards', I will still be 54, so pfui! Hugh...despite the manifest charms of Federal Way (wheeze), I won't be there for SC Nats.

Who else ages up this year and what age group do you intend to eviscerate?

fanstone
January 1st, 2007, 08:32 AM
Last year I changed age groups, went from 50-54 to 55-59. Immediately my competition got better (bettter are they, not I). I think somehow my current age group has more time to practice, specially if they are Federal Employees or Armed Forces, because they retire earlier than self-employed, which is my case. I swim against a guy in a OW competition, who swims two hours every day, runs a lot, and does some cycling. All his time is devoted to sports. The other thing that changes is that some of my former age group records (local stuff, few competitors) might be broken by someone else without any chance of me getting it back, as you cannot go back into your former age group. This year I broke the 400 free local record that was held by a friend of mine (two years older) since 2003. My time was pitiful, but the former record time was more pitiful by a full minute and a half. This due to the schedule having about 5 meets a year and some distances will go without a repeat for a couple of years. Changing age groups might be a factor of depression as you are always reminded that you are older, and older by a full four years! However, as swimmers, we look good, feel good and are good, so even though we age, we age a lot less than the other immense population of non swimmers out there. Happy entry into a tough age group (not yet old, yet not young, however trying to keep the PBs), billy fanstone

The Fortress
January 1st, 2007, 10:23 AM
Happy birthday in meters, Peter! I aged up to the 45-49 year old group last year and couldn't wait to get away from the fast 40-44 ladies. I figured I'd go right back to hating birthdays. Then, I found that everyone in my new age group is still really fast ... Why the "wheeze" with respect to Federal Way? Is it bad for the sinuses? That might scare me off as I'm impaired that way. If you're not going to Federal Way, when will you race Terry in butterfrog? That would be an epic battle now that you're in the same age group. I guess Allen could join you too. I'd watch that race!

Happy New Year!

poolraat
January 1st, 2007, 10:33 AM
I will be 55 next month. OMG am I really that old? Anyway, aging up is okay. Can't avoid it so might as well make the best of it. Because of it I now have qualifying times for SCY nationals :banana: .

Peter Cruise
January 1st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Ah Leslie, nothing against Federal Way, it is a beautiful pool & some really nice people live & swim there...just that I think that city officials there must think 'zoning' is something to do with drugs.

islandsox
January 1st, 2007, 05:50 PM
I also want to wish everyone a happy birthday if you are moving up in age groups. I guess I am the Lone Ranger here because I no longer get to compete in Masters since we moved to Roatan. But I do have very fond memories of aging up to get rid of Laura Val for 4 years!!

I swim open water only now, but never enter into actual open water swim races because there are none here. I always swim on a triathlon relay team (me,swim, then a biker and runner). So because of this, I get thrown into the overall age groupers and I am standing there waiting for the gun with the number 58 written on my leg standing right beside a 23 year old. But I usually do quite well as a matter of fact, even given my ancient body.

Donna

Muppet
January 1st, 2007, 05:53 PM
I am not a big fan of the aging up thing... The summer I was 23, I had to spend all kinds of money (fresh out of college, there was not much) to get to every LCM meet I could get my hands on just so I could get in all my top times. Then the next year, I was 24 through all the LCM meets (incl nationals) and competing against 30-year olds. Talk about :frustrated: .

I realize its easiest this way, and that its a FINA regulation as well. I would hope that one day they could perhaps divide the year up a little so perhaps the people with birthdays towards the end of the year, like myself, might have the disparity taken away. With an August birthday, if they made a cutoff for "age by Sept 31," I would still get the shaft, but I would have much less of an issue.

Still in 25-29 though...

poolraat
January 1st, 2007, 07:42 PM
...if they made a cutoff for "age by Sept 31," I would still get the shaft, but I would have much less of an issue....

Wouldn't it be better if it was like USAS where your age group is determined by your age on the day of the meet?

Muppet
January 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM
Wouldn't it be better if it was like USAS where your age group is determined by your age on the day of the meet?

Of course :)
But to be more on the realistic side, I'm hoping for babysteps to start out ;)