PDA

View Full Version : Post your pool

Slimy
January 2nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
Where do you swim?

I joined the local county recreation facility (where I went 10 years ago) which is actually top notch. They host many high-level meets.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Aquatics/Aquatic+Center+Information.htm

SwimStud
January 2nd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Wow that's nice...I feel all inadeqate now...

I YMCA has a 25Y pool and are building a 50Y facility too so they can hold meets.

knelson
January 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
I usually swim at the Pavilion Pool at the University of Washington. It's a six lane, 25 yard pool that was built in 1937. Not exactly where I'd like to swim a taper meet, but perfectly adequate for practice--as long as more than 30 people don't show up! The water temp is kept around 80 I'd say. Just about perfect.

I also workout sometimes at Helene Madison pool, which is owned by the City of Seattle. It's bulkheaded at 25 yards with the shallow end on the other side used for things like water aerobics. An OK pool, but kept a little warm for my taste. It is, however, only a few blocks from my house.

The attachment is of the UW pool.

FlyQueen
January 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM
I'm jealous of anyone that has starting blocks at their home pool ...

~Wren~
January 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
I swim at a Lifetime Fitness where the lap pool is open 24x7. Our pool set up (along with lots of others), looks like this (lap pool next to family fun pool with slides). We also have an outdoor pool w/designated lap lanes, but this is MN, we don't see it much. If I want starting blocks I'll have to head up to the LT in Plymouth. . . about 30 min away (mine is 10 min max).

swim4me
January 2nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
I waited over 5 years for this pool - so I could finally join and swim on a masters program. This is a pool built for high-school swimmers and water-polo players, but also has an age group team, masters, and other public offerings. The pictures were taken before the starting blocks were up, but they are awsome. I LOVE :hug: this pool!!!

http://www.nisd.net/aquaww/newpool.htm

Warren
January 2nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
When I'm at school I swim at Leggett Pool. When I'm home I swim at my local YMCA and if its the summer I swim at my neighborhood pool, The CP. All of these pools are SCM. The CP is my favorite pool to swim at.

knelson
January 3rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
I LOVE :hug: this pool!!!

It looks like a beautiful facility. I love all the natural light.

swimshark
January 3rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
I swim here http://www.freedom-center.com/. It's a great pool affiliated with George Mason Univ (Manassas campus). It's only 6 years old but with brand new bulkheads and lane lines. The blocks are always up in the deep end. 50 M by 25 yards. I swim with the OCCS kids team in the deepest end and with the masters "between the bulkheads".

Alison

tjburk
January 3rd, 2007, 08:17 AM
Luckily they have an indoor pool here on Robins AFB where I work. It's only 3 lanes x 25 Yds but it works.:groovy:

waves101
January 3rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
I either swim at the local "Y" 6 x 25 yd older pool but well maintained. No natural light though and kept either a bit warm or much too warm. Or, at my old high school which just built a brand new school and pool 2 years ago. 8 x 25 yd + attached dive well off to side forming "L". It's kept at a constant 80 degrees and is strictly a competition/workout pool.

~Wren~
January 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
I either swim at the local "Y" 6 x 25 yd older pool but well maintained. No natural light though and kept either a bit warm or much too warm. Or, at my old high school which just built a brand new school and pool 2 years ago. 8 x 25 yd + attached dive well off to side forming "L". It's kept at a constant 80 degrees and is strictly a competition/workout pool.

There's a downside to the wall of windows at my pool - they shut it down at the slightest sign of a storm. :mad: It bugs me because the lap pool is so far from the windows - the kiddies in the fun pool would get zapped well before we would, giving us ample warning to get to safety. :cool:

swimshark
January 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Luckily they have an indoor pool here on Robins AFB where I work. It's only 3 lanes x 25 Yds but it works.:groovy:

Tracy, I was just down your way but unfortunately, didn't get in a swim. I lost my base pass when I stoped working there so I was stuck with the city's pool. Yuck. By the way a friend of mine, Karan, works at the Rec Dept for the base. If you ever see her, say "hi" to her fom me, please.

Enjoyed seeing how Warner Robins has grown!

Alison

tjburk
January 3rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah, the Aquanauts pool is pretty old. The only new facilities around here are either in Macon or over in Ft Valley. Too many politics involved in building a new one in this city!!!!:frustrated:

nkfrench
January 3rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
There's a downside to the wall of windows at my pool - they shut it down at the slightest sign of a storm. :mad: It bugs me because the lap pool is so far from the windows - the kiddies in the fun pool would get zapped well before we would, giving us ample warning to get to safety. :cool:

Our pool is in a basement no windows and we still sit out during thunderstorms. Electricity can get you through the plumbing pipes, arc to the metal pool structure, etc.

A related story, names altered to protect the guilty:
[Pool chemicals wayy off balance, water felt/tasted like bleach]
Janet: There was no practice last night because some kid pooped in the pool so they had to shock it.
Dwayne: Yeah, I could still feel the electricity when I jumped in today.

swim4me
January 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM

So why do they shut it down, sounds like the 'important pool' has a warning system? :rofl:

Swimmy
January 3rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
My team swims at the U of MD facility. Here is a link to our website www.terrapinmasters.org.
Swimmy

~Wren~
January 3rd, 2007, 08:05 PM
So why do they shut it down, sounds like the 'important pool' has a warning system? :rofl:

Exactly! :laugh2:

geochuck
January 3rd, 2007, 08:47 PM
The pool I usually swim at http://www.corp.delta.bc.ca/EN/main/residents/recreation_and_parks_services/147/llc.html
The other pool I swim at http://www.corp.delta.bc.ca/EN/main/residents/recreation_and_parks_services/147/wafc.html

jlh
January 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I swim here

http://www.cheshirect.org/pool/default.html

It is only a couple years old and pretty quiet at 6am when I get there.

Larry_55
January 4th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Here is where I swim. 25 m x25 yds L shape. 6 lap lanes. Not too warm and lots of natural light. Starting blocks, pull buoys and kickboards avail to public. The chemicals are well monitored and the facility is clean and well maintained. Best of all,... it's only 2 minutes from my house. :cool:

http://www.hubbard.k12.oh.us/main/POOL/HCP%20Web%20Page.htm (http://www.hubbard.k12.oh.us/main/POOL/HCP%20Web%20Page.htm)

quicksilver
January 4th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Marco....

Polo....

Marco....

Polo.

swim4me
January 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Quicksilver,

You Wish!!!!!:rofl:

quicksilver
January 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
William Randolph Hearst knew how to party. ;)

Wonder if he ever swam?

swim4me
January 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM
My great grandfather did some of the masonary work on that pool. I have never been there, but have seen plenty of pictures!!!

jaegermeister
January 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately I only have a picture of the exterior of our pool:

http://www.rochestermn.gov/departments/park/facilities/recreationcenter/index.asp

This is a great pool. 50 m, or 2 X 25 scy with the bulkhead in. It is not as glamorous as the university-affiliated pools posted previously, but for a city of 100,000, I feel VERY lucky.
Its a fast pool. 16 foot deep end (formerly there was a 10 meter platform). It has a great viewing area.
It has some history: Fortress swam here and apparently set some age group records :applaud:
Fortress: what else can you tell us about the Rochester Rec center?

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 09:40 PM

http://www.rochestermn.gov/departments/park/facilities/recreationcenter/index.asp

This is a great pool. 50 m, or 2 X 25 scy with the bulkhead in. It is not as glamorous as the university-affiliated pools posted previously, but for a city of 100,000, I feel VERY lucky.
Its a fast pool. 16 foot deep end (formerly there was a 10 meter platform). It has a great viewing area.
It has some history: Fortress swam here and apparently set some age group records :applaud:

Well, as you know Tom, I was a lifeguard there in my wee youth. I also had a lot of mishaps going off that 10 meter platform. Bad form. Ouch. redness. In my pre-AAU days of fun and frolic, I also gashed my head open trying to do some fancy backward dive off the one meter and had to get stitches. I did not appreciate having my hair shaved off. But I love that pool and have super, super fond memories of meets there. The nasty mega-yardage practice memories have faded a bit. Although all my best fly swims happened at that pool, my fondest memory is actually setting the state record in the 50 free when I was 17 leading off the 200 free relay. I was pleasantly surprised. I was only a wee short wannabe sprinter then. (Nothing has changed apparently.) I think that record was promptly wiped out the next day of the meet because I had failed to enter it as an individual event ...:rofl:

This is the pool where Terry and Dave will be swimming at the Colonies Zones meet: www.patriotmasters.org (http://www.patriotmasters.org). It doesn't show the big hot tub, but it's there.

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM
This is the pool where Terry and Dave will be swimming at the Colonies Zones meet: www.patriotmasters.org (http://www.patriotmasters.org). It doesn't show the big hot tub, but it's there.

Have I been uninvited now because of the tights?

~Wren~
January 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM

That's funny to see the rec center posted on a pool forum - I only know it from figure skating.

So Fortress is from MN too? Small world. :) I am envious of those of you who swam in these big pools in your youth. I spent my HS career in a 4 lane 20yd pool. We were really good at turns. The highlight of my Sr year was when our pool "died" and we got to go train at Morgan Park or UWS (it helped that I got to skip out of physics early to get to those pools)

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Have I been uninvited now because of the tights?

I wore pantyhose before taper too.

Of course you're invited. Wookie too. You can race Wally Dicks and Wookie can race Clay Britt. I guess I'll be stuck racing Lisa Van-Pelt Diller or whatever other aged WR holder crashes our meet again like Karlyn did last year. There will be much :drink: . Maybe excessive amounts. Maybe I'll wear my new nose clip on the 50 and 100 back ...

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 10:51 PM
That's funny to see the rec center posted on a pool forum - I only know it from figure skating.

So Fortress is from MN too? Small world. :) I am envious of those of you who swam in these big pools in your youth. I spent my HS career in a 4 lane 20yd pool. We were really good at turns. The highlight of my Sr year was when our pool "died" and we got to go train at Morgan Park or UWS (it helped that I got to skip out of physics early to get to those pools)

Wren:

But didn't I see you were initially from Minneapolis before the land of "frozen lakes?" When I was growing up, I had to travel to Minneapolis all the time for swim meets. The very tall secret nemesis of my youth swam for Minnetonka. It seemed like meets were always in Edina or Minnetonka. The Minneapolis area had great pools. Where are you? No wonder you're ice skating. MN is frozen country. Except apparently now. I grew up in Rochester where Tom's kids are growing up. We agree that there are better wine lists elsewhere.

~Wren~
January 4th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Wren:

But didn't I see you were initially from Minneapolis before the land of "frozen lakes?" When I was growing up, I had to travel to Minneapolis all the time for swim meets. The very tall secret nemesis of my youth swam for Minnetonka. It seemed like meets were always in Edina or Minnetonka. The Minneapolis area had great pools. Where are you? No wonder you're ice skating. MN is frozen country. Except apparently now. I grew up in Rochester where Tom's kids are growing up. We agree that there are better wine lists elsewhere.

I'm in the SW suburbs now, I grew up in Duluth, and I skated everywhere (Minnetonka had good skaters too - Jill Trenary, 3 time US champion, came out of that club).

Our swim meets were in Duluth, Superior (loved that pool), or up on the Iron Range (I got my PB in Silver Bay . . . swimming in the slow lane, of all places :confused: ). I think there was a summer program at our Y (not sure, I was at the rink), but no real age group clubs up there until recently.

And sadly, I'm not ice skating right now . . . just really missing it. :(

okoban
January 5th, 2007, 05:11 PM
ENKA pools Istanbul

Muppet
January 5th, 2007, 11:22 PM

We need one of those facilities here! I can get out of swim practice and go straight to hockey practice! It would work out perfect!

jaegermeister
January 5th, 2007, 11:52 PM
We need one of those facilities here! I can get out of swim practice and go straight to hockey practice! It would work out perfect!

Its true: you can finish with sprints or breathers in the pool, then don the pads and stop some pucks. Or, if you're really feeling graceful, you can go to the figure skating rink (its actually about 20-30 feet from the deep end of the pool) and practice your jumps and spins. Maybe Wren could coach us.
Here's the floor plan:

http://www.rochestermn.gov/departments/park/facilities/recreationcenter/RecCenter_diagrams.pdf

Muppet
January 6th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Its true: you can finish with sprints or breathers in the pool, then don the pads and stop some pucks. Or, if you're really feeling graceful, you can go to the figure skating rink (its actually about 20-30 feet from the deep end of the pool) and practice your jumps and spins. Maybe Wren could coach us.
Here's the floor plan:

http://www.rochestermn.gov/departments/park/facilities/recreationcenter/RecCenter_diagrams.pdf

I just caught the gym on the diving board end. I want to add a pickup basketball game to my pre-swim routine!

The Fortress
January 6th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I just caught the gym on the diving board end. I want to add a pickup basketball game to my pre-swim routine!

Muppet:

Did you get hit with a hockey puck or something? There's only one reason why people move to Rochester, and I think Tom will agree that it ain't the Rec Center.

But, go ahead, ditch your nice gf and take up residency at the Rec Center. There's nothing else to do in that city. You'd go crazy after awhile. :rofl: Even poor Tom can only find one restaurant with a decent wine list. There weren't any when I lived there... The biggest kick we got was jumping over the fence and going skinny dipping at Soldier's Field pool in the summer. (That's where Tom swims when its not frigid.) I guess you could take up snowmobiling. I never liked that as a child though. Have fun! I'll miss seeing you at our local meets. Adios.

SwimStud
January 6th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Well this is me practiscing my starts in my pool in our backyard!

...oops I'm being a bt cheeky there! :joker:

I also smashed my chin, nose and found a branch that was hiding under the slide with with my knee...I swear I was sober!

~Wren~
January 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Muppet:

Did you get hit with a hockey puck or something? There's only one reason why people move to Rochester, and I think Tom will agree that it ain't the Rec Center.

But, go ahead, ditch your nice gf and take up residency at the Rec Center. There's nothing else to do in that city. You'd go crazy after awhile. :rofl: Even poor Tom can only find one restaurant with a decent wine list. There weren't any when I lived there... The biggest kick we got was jumping over the fence and going skinny dipping at Soldier's Field pool in the summer. (That's where Tom swims when its not frigid.) I guess you could take up snowmobiling. I never liked that as a child though. Have fun! I'll miss seeing you at our local meets. Adios.

:rofl: If we had snow . . .

jaegermeister
January 6th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Muppet:

The biggest kick we got was jumping over the fence and going skinny dipping at Soldier's Field pool in the summer.

Well, here it is, the place that Fortress was so unabashedly free-spirit:

http://www.soldiersfield.com/Home.aspx?tabid=1939

Do your daughters know about your exploits? How about your son? :joker:

It has been refurbished since Fortress was a youngster- it now has a water slide (duh) that wasn't there before. And since this photo is taken in the daytime, it is a little hard to imagine someone skinny dipping. I'm assuming this was a night time escapade, right?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Actually, this is a fine 50m pool where we get in early AM practice time during the summer. Compared to the sensory deprivation of the indoor pool, seeing the sun come up during the morning workout is nearly spiritual.

But really, it is so warm in Minnesota right now that they could fill that pool up and put a couple of aquarium heaters in and we'd be just fine doing our workouts in it. There may be a frozen lake or two somewhere, but there are none around here.

jaegermeister
January 7th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I also smashed my chin, nose and found a branch that was hiding under the slide with with my knee...I swear I was sober!

Fortunately, it sounds like your spinal cord is still intact. It is a very pretty slide, though. It might inspire me to do something reckless as well.:p

Muppet
January 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Muppet:

But, go ahead, ditch your nice gf and take up residency at the Rec Center. There's nothing else to do in that city.

Well, lets search back a few posts where I mention that "we need one of those facilities here." Though I am sure it is a lovely place to live, I am not the biggest fan of cold weather. I didn't move to Chicago when I had the chance last year; methinks MN isn't any warmer. As for the city's activities, I am sure the lengthy cold months would provide plenty of snuggling opportunities :hug:, which, when combined with the boredom and the cheap wine :drink: , could lead towards the creation of my own hockey team :p :D (we need a smiley with moving eyebrows)

Well this is me practiscing my starts in my pool in our backyard!
I thought this was a drug-free environment. Since when did we approve use of crack? ;) nice pic!!

Muppet
January 7th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I would like to footnote, though, that I am more than happy with the AWESOME facility at which I train...

Same pool as Swimmy - UMD. Go Terps!
http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=73005&postcount=17

Mind you, I have been known to get there early and show the freshmeat a thing or two about playing basketball before practice. But we are lacking an icerink at the moment... :thhbbb:

chaos
January 7th, 2007, 02:02 AM
http://www.minnewaskaswimmers.org/index.html

OK, I know its not a pool, but this is where I do most of my summer training and with temperatures today approaching 70............

The Fortress
January 7th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Wow, it looks so nice now. Tom, I was sitting in the lifeguard chair during the daytime in the summer.

My typical summer pool schedule was doubles at Silver Lake and Soldier's Fields in the am and lifeguarding at SF in the pm. (Now if you have a picture of Silver Lake, you get a medal.) Travel to Mpls or elsewhere in the midwest for swim meets twice a month. So it didn't really matter that there was nothing to do in Roch in the summer. There was no time to do it ... Except every once in awhile after work on Friday free-spirit night. :joker: I'm sure I'll probably get skin cancer next. Another pool-hopping friend from Roch who lives in the DC area and participated in said nighttime activity has already spilled the beans to my husband and children. They just :rofl: .

Well, here it is, the place that Fortress was so unabashedly free-spirit:

http://www.soldiersfield.com/Home.aspx?tabid=1939

Do your daughters know about your exploits? How about your son? :joker:

It has been refurbished since Fortress was a youngster- it now has a water slide (duh) that wasn't there before. And since this photo is taken in the daytime, it is a little hard to imagine someone skinny dipping. I'm assuming this was a night time escapade, right?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Actually, this is a fine 50m pool where we get in early AM practice time during the summer. Compared to the sensory deprivation of the indoor pool, seeing the sun come up during the morning workout is nearly spiritual.

But really, it is so warm in Minnesota right now that they could fill that pool up and put a couple of aquarium heaters in and we'd be just fine doing our workouts in it. There may be a frozen lake or two somewhere, but there are none around here.

~Wren~
January 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM

OK, I know its not a pool, but this is where I do most of my summer training and with temperatures today approaching 70............

Wow David, that's beautiful. I might be too distracted by the scenery to get my workout in though. Well, that and the OW thing scares me just a bit. I like lane lines and backstroke flags. When it comes to OW, I'm usually in a boat. :)

~Wren~
January 7th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Tom,
I keep wondering if we're going to get pay-back in Feb/Mar for this weather or if we might get lucky and have our outdoor pools up and running soon. I am SO looking forward to training in the outside lap pool. It reminds me of training in AZ during visits to see my Grandmother - it was always more interesting to train somewhere else.

Wow, it looks so nice now. Tom, I was sitting in the lifeguard chair during the daytime in the summer.

My typical summer pool schedule was doubles at Silver Lake and Soldier's Fields in the am and lifeguarding at SF in the pm. (Now if you have a picture of Silver Lake, you get a medal.) Travel to Mpls or elsewhere in the midwest for swim meets twice a month. So it didn't really matter that there was nothing to do in Roch in the summer. There was no time to do it ... Except every once in awhile after work on Friday free-spirit night. :joker: I'm sure I'll probably get skin cancer next. Another pool-hopping friend from Roch who lives in the DC area and participated in said nighttime activity has already spilled the beans to my husband and children. They just :rofl: .

Fortress,
Did Silver Lake have the goose issue when you lived there? I don't think I'd be comfortable getting in there these days if the water is anything like the park surrounding it. :eek:

The Fortress
January 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Fortress,
Did Silver Lake have the goose issue when you lived there? I don't think I'd be comfortable getting in there these days if the water is anything like the park surrounding it. :eek:

There was goose poop all along the lake and the park. But I swam in the nearby 50 meter pool with no goose poop. No OW swimming in Roch. :rofl:

~Wren~
January 7th, 2007, 03:59 PM
There was goose poop all along the lake and the park. But I swam in the nearby 50 meter pool with no goose poop. No OW swimming in Roch. :rofl:

Ah, I didn't know there was a pool. :laugh2: Is it still there?

blainesapprentice
January 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Hey! I swim here too! Well okay, once...but with having joined masters, and planning a few long distance ow swims, I hope to get up there to swim a bit more this coming summer. I've contacted the Adirondack clubs main guy, but have not heard back from him yet, do you know if there are any Master's teams that practice out of New Paltz or at minnewaska?! Thanks

Morgan

Actually I kayak on lake Minnewaska almost every weekend...I probably saw you swimming on more than one occasion:wave:

GoodWillHunter
January 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I waited over 5 years for this pool - so I could finally join and swim on a masters program. This is a pool built for high-school swimmers and water-polo players, but also has an age group team, masters, and other public offerings. The pictures were taken before the starting blocks were up, but they are awsome. I LOVE :hug: this pool!!!

http://www.nisd.net/aquaww/newpool.htm

That's my pool!!! Hey, Kathy!

Lisa:bow:

chaos
January 7th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Hey! I swim here too! Well okay, once...but with having joined masters, and planning a few long distance ow swims, I hope to get up there to swim a bit more this coming summer. I've contacted the Adirondack clubs main guy, but have not heard back from him yet, do you know if there are any Master's teams that practice out of New Paltz or at minnewaska?! Thanks

Morgan

Actually I kayak on lake Minnewaska almost every weekend...I probably saw you swimming on more than one occasion:wave:

Hi Morgan,
I am the new chairperson for ADMS, also a member of Shawangunk Masters, and Minnewaska Distance Swimming Association. The gunks train at SUNY NEW PALTZ you can pm me for times and dates. Quite a few of us also train at Lake Minnewaska. I hope to have regularly sheduled masters swims there this year. We (ADMS) have two open water events sheduled for this summer; the 2 Mile National Championship Cable Swim at Lake Placid and a OW Swim Weekend at Lake George.
David

jaegermeister
January 8th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Ah, I didn't know there was a pool. :laugh2: Is it still there?

There is still a pool at Silver Lake, but it is on its last legs. If the filtration system breaks down it will cost $1 million to get it going again. That sounds inflated but I take it from good sources that the whole thing has to be re-done. Its going on duct tape and twine.
Actually, the Silver Lake pool is a bit of an oddity-a 50 yard outdoor pool. It is great to have two outdoor pools in town, since there are two teams and we need them both.
There is still a major goose poop issue at Silver Lake park. The city has tried a number of solutions, but it is still a cesspool. Believe it or not, my son's rowing team works out there from April through October. They are highly motivated to stay afloat. :D

Muppet
January 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM
There is still a pool at Silver Lake, but it is on its last legs. If the filtration system breaks down it will cost $1 million to get it going again. That sounds inflated but I take it from good sources that the whole thing has to be re-done. Its going on duct tape and twine.

One day, the world will be held together with duct tape.

KaizenSwimmer
January 9th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Hey! I swim here too!

That makes three of us on the Forum who swim at Minnewaska. I do very little pool swimming in the summer, perhaps a total of 10 to 12 practices at the Ulster County Pool over 5 or 6 weeks. Other than that it was all Minnewaska this summer, usually 4 to 5 times a week.

I see you're from Pine Bush. I recently began helping the PBHS boys team once every week or two.

aquaFeisty
January 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM
During the winter, our team practices in shallow, narrow-laned, no-blocks, fitness center pools. But in the summer, we have once a week semi-open water practices at Centennial Beach. It is a converted limestone quarry, 6.5 mil gallons of chlorinated heaven. Ok, so perhaps by August it is murky chlorinated heaven (no filtration).

http://www.city-data.com/city/Naperville-Illinois.html

These are the only online pics I could find - 3rd picture over in both the first and second rows. A 50 m 7 or 9 lane pool (I forget) stretches across the SHORT side of the Beach. The big deep area is all 15 ft deep and there are piers and 1m and 3m diving boards. Best of all, it is across the street from my house!

poolraat
January 10th, 2007, 04:23 PM
This is where I swim.

http://www.ci.elko.nv.us/recreation/swimming_pool.htm

Right now because of problems with the heating it is really cold in the building, but water temp is around 82. And the showers are tolerably warm (not hot:( ).

The outdoor 25 m pool is great in the summer.:woot:

ande
January 26th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I train in the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center (TSC) at The University of Texas at Austin, home of the Longhorns.

http://www.tsc.utexas.edu/

http://www.tsc.utexas.edu/about.html

http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/Store/storegear.html

host of the USMS 2008 SCY Nationals in May 1 - 4, 2008
http://www.tsc.utexas.edu/events0607/MastersSwimming08Release.pdf

Ande

pbsaurus
January 26th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I swim at Burgess Park Pool in Menlo Park
3727'11.15"N
12210'32.13"W

Julie Roddin
January 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM

I swim in this pool also. Last night I spent more time in the big hot tub than I did at practice. Darn lower back pain.

I also swim at the Fairfax County Rec Centers, but they are no nearly as nice as GMU.

Julie Roddin
January 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM

We have one...Mt. Vernon Rec Center.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/rec/mvrec.htm

It's on your way to the Tropical Splash Meet. Just don't hurt yourself!

Muppet
January 26th, 2007, 05:03 PM
We have one...Mt. Vernon Rec Center.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/rec/mvrec.htm

It's on your way to the Tropical Splash Meet. Just don't hurt yourself!

Righteous! I know where that is! I think I may have skated there actually. I didn't realize there was a pool there! That is pretty sweet.

I had a friend that used to teach ice skating at this place. Don't know if she still does. Do know she did receive some upper-torso enhancements in the last couple of years. Hmm, a phone call might be in order. :drink: :banana:

The Fortress
January 26th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I swim in this pool also. Last night I spent more time in the big hot tub than I did at practice. Darn lower back pain.

I also swim at the Fairfax County Rec Centers, but they are no nearly as nice as GMU.

Hey, Julie, I'm away all weekend on a ski trip with the kids. Can you tell Cheryl I'll be back next week and haven't gone MIA? Enjoyed swimming with you the other night!!

Julie Roddin
January 28th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Hey, Julie, I'm away all weekend on a ski trip with the kids. Can you tell Cheryl I'll be back next week and haven't gone MIA? Enjoyed swimming with you the other night!!

Sorry Fortress, I didn't make it to practice this weekend either. My lower back is still hurting. I hope you had fun skiing and I'll see you next weekend hopefully!

SwimStud
January 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Have you tried icing after the heat. I do this otherwise the inflammation is greater after the hottub and my back gets even stiffer. Ice is my friend.

Julie Roddin
January 29th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I took this weekend off and did nothing except heat, ice and took ibuproufen. I hate taking medication. But it does feel better. I'm going to take it easy this week and maybe swim down a lane or two. Thanks for your advice!

SwimStud
January 29th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I took this weekend off and did nothing except heat, ice and took ibuproufen. I hate taking medication. But it does feel better. I'm going to take it easy this week and maybe swim down a lane or two. Thanks for your advice!

Back pain is horrible. I have 3 discs that like to go on strike..I used to endup taking a week off. Now I ice them I'm back to normal a lot faster.
Maybe a little less aggressive swimming will help too.

Good luck. I feel for you. :)

swimr4life
January 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I swim at the Swimatlanta Sugarloaf pool. It's nothing fancy....a pool with about 10 feet of deck space around it....but they keep the water 78 degrees year round and I love it! It is 50 meters by 25 yards.

http://www.swimatlantamasters.com/

Sonic Swimmer78
January 30th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! I was hoping for a thread like this!!!

Here's where I used to swim:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Orgo65/LovelyLong-Course.jpg

Lovely, isn't it? I love this long-course. Too bad I'm not swimming with my Masters team anymore.

jaegermeister
February 2nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Here's the pool I swam in during my trip to Key West, Florida:
Key West Pool (http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=5901+College+Rd,+Key+West,+FL+33040&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=24.584632,-81.744826&spn=0.003688,0.006073&t=k&om=1)

This is at the Florida Keys Community College. I've downloaded a link from the satellite image from google maps.

How much fun do you think it was for a Minnesota Boy to swim outdoors in January?:D One day people were all freaked out because it was 50 degrees, and they thought it was cold!!! Winter has finally come to Minnesota: it will be somewhere between -15 and -20 this weekend. No kidding. Wind chills will be way down there.

Shaman
February 5th, 2007, 12:13 AM
http://www.goldcoastswimteam.org/images/pool-facility2.jpg

A.K.
February 12th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I found my way back to Florida - I knew I was home when I noticed a neighbor wearing a long winter coat and gloves when it was 70 degrees, windy and high humidity. The high humidity made it feel cooler.

Here's the pool I swam in during my trip to Key West, Florida:
Key West Pool (http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=5901+College+Rd,+Key+West,+FL+33040&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=24.584632,-81.744826&spn=0.003688,0.006073&t=k&om=1)

This is at the Florida Keys Community College. I've downloaded a link from the satellite image from google maps.

How much fun do you think it was for a Minnesota Boy to swim outdoors in January?:D One day people were all freaked out because it was 50 degrees, and they thought it was cold!!! Winter has finally come to Minnesota: it will be somewhere between -15 and -20 this weekend. No kidding. Wind chills will be way down there.