PDA

View Full Version : New Year's resolution and stuff

tomtopo
January 2nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Well thanks to geochuck, islandsox, The Fortress, and othershttp://www.usms.org/forums/images/smilies/smooch.gif
:smooch:, I've decided to get back into the pool (I've been out for almost five or six years). I'm going to go about 1500, including the 400w/u and 200 w/d. I'm also going to try to get in the weight room (I want to look like (S)he Man but the male version). I want to compete in one local meet and our state Master's meet. I looked up the times from our state meet last year and there are some very fast 50yr. olds (scary fast).
So, thanks for your inspiration on this is a really cool forum. I'm going to try??... to shy away from too many tips (coaching habit) and try to soak in more of the philosophical, spiritual, and other good stuff a lot of people give. I'm also going to practice a bit of what I preach.

Thanks, and Happy New Year, Coach T.

The Fortress
January 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Well thanks to geochuck, islandsox, The Fortress, and others http://www.usms.org/forums/images/smilies/smooch.gif
:smooch:, I've decided to get back into the pool (I've been out for almost five or six years). I'm going to go about 1500, including the 400w/u and 200 w/d. I'm also going to try to get in the weight room (I want to look like (S)he Man but the male version). I want to compete in one local meet and our state Master's meet. I looked up the times from our state meet last year and there are some very fast 50yr. olds (scary fast).
So, thanks for your inspiration on this is a really cool forum. I'm going to try??... to shy away from too many tips (coaching habit) and try to soak in more of the philosophical, spiritual, and other good stuff a lot of people give. I'm also going to practice a bit of what I preach.

Thanks, and Happy New Year, Coach T.

YAHOOO!!!! :banana: :banana: :groovy: :groovy: :smooch: :smooch:

That is the most awesome news!! If I can do it, you can do it. Remember, I left the pool for 24 years ... If you can look like (S)he-man you will be one hot coach! And please, join in the banter, but don't stop giving us your great tips. We like to practice what you preach. I'm going to weight room tomorrow per my New Years resolution as well. Keep us posted!

islandsox
January 2nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Coach T,

:banana:This is awesome news; I am just thrilled that you are going to enter the deep end again. There is something so magical about being in water, let alone the physical benefits from it and the friendships that can be gained. And you know as a coach, the rewards when accomplishments are made. I have been out of the water for about 2 months now and have to start back in about 2 weeks and I know to expect little in the beginning. But I don't care because conditioning will happen with consistency. The journey of bettering oneself is a reward in itself. Now that I am older, the journey toward fitness is one I really do enjoy making, and now I have the patience to let it happen when it happens.

So, do you have a favorite stroke?

Donna

tomtopo
January 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
I'm a breaststroker since birth (must have been the way my twin made me sit for nine months). The last year (1969), when doing the breaststroke kick was legal for butterfyl, made me an IM'er for life. Until I was a senior in high school, my breaststroke (100) was faster than my freestyle.

You know, class reunions, swim meets, my wife's aunt (who's over 80 and still scuba dives), and other get togethers, give me the motivation to stay in shape.
Let's keep in touch. I feel good now (except for the shoulder) and I think I can feel better.

You motivate me and I'll keep you informed. I swam my first mile (400 IM Kick no board, 200 Br, 100IM, 50 Fly, 100Br, 400IM,50 Br, 200warm-down). By the way, I intend to get in shape doing that workout. I also hit the weight room.

I hope I can stay motivated. Coach T.

The Fortress
January 2nd, 2007, 10:36 PM
I'm a breaststroker since birth (must have been the way my twin made me sit for nine months). The last year (1969), when doing the breaststroke kick was legal for butterfyl, made me an IM'er for life. Until I was a senior in high school, my breaststroke (100) was faster than my freestyle.

You know, class reunions, swim meets, my wife's aunt (who's over 80 and still scuba dives), and other get togethers, give me the motivation to stay in shape.
Let's keep in touch. I feel good now (except for the shoulder) and I think I can feel better.

You motivate me and I'll keep you informed. I swam my first mile (400 IM Kick no board, 200 Br, 100IM, 50 Fly, 100Br, 400IM,50 Br, 200warm-down). By the way, I intend to get in shape doing that workout. I also hit the weight room.

I hope I can stay motivated. Coach T.

What?!?! A breaststroker!! All right, I still love you even though you are a breaststroker. Geez... Only because my daughter is a born breaststroker and I like that purple prose that Cruise dishes out and Allen Stark is my 100 IM buddy and fellow sprinter.

I can't believe you said that about your shoulder. And you kept it such a secret. You can sit at my shoulder support table when all posters meet. Many of the loudest, most colorful (but funny and informed!) people will be there if you read the "which poster do you want to meet?" thread. Do your Buchberger 12 exercises! I don't want to see responding again to one of those controversial shoulder threads except to offer advice or solace. :rofl:

tomtopo
January 3rd, 2007, 12:21 AM
I can dole out the solice. I've had knee problems (a surgery) but a shoulder problem really eats at my shorts. I'll conquer it brothers and sisters, old age is a wall that we climb over or go around but it doesn't stop us!!!! Rock on my swimming brothers and sisters. (I had a couple glasses of wine)>:banana:

Allen Stark
January 3rd, 2007, 12:38 AM
I knew by your intellegent pithy responses you must be a breaststroker. LOL. Seriously I think it's great you are taking the plunge. Enjoy!!!

tomtopo
January 3rd, 2007, 12:45 AM
Hey, us breaststrokers can..... well.....we can.....we were.....God made us....well us breastrokers can...... do stuff!!! Sprinters... All you did was sit in the corner and slack! And backstrokers, what's that about, able to breathe? Is that even a stroke? And butterflyers, what the heck, so you can dislocate your arms, big deal, my son dislocated his five times and he doesn't even swim.
Happy New Years!:drink:

islandsox
January 3rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
Hey, us breaststrokers can..... well.....we can.....we were.....God made us....well us breastrokers can...... do stuff!!! Sprinters... All you did was sit in the corner and slack! And backstrokers, what's that about, able to breathe? Is that even a stroke? And butterflyers, what the heck, so you can dislocate your arms, big deal, my son dislocated his five times and he doesn't even swim.
Happy New Years!:drink:

Coach T :rofl: this is for the backstroke comment. I thought everyone knew that backtrokers don't like their face in the water AND that we like to see where we've been, not where we're going.

Donna