PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed to be a masters swimmer?

blainesapprentice
January 2nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Hey everyone!

I have found these discussion forums to be very supportive and just invigorating in a way. When I first came on here, I was frustrated with swimming and was not having fun anymore. Since coming on here, I have decided to enjoy swimming more, and take more of my workouts and really focus on me myself and I. I also have thought of becoming a masters swimmer, however I am not sure of the rules surrounding ones membership. Can a current collegiate swimmer join masters? I know for USS the student must swim unattached but otherwise they are allowed to compete. Is this ruling similar?

Any thoughts would be helpful,
Thanks,
Morgan

Allen Stark
January 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
I'm not on the rules commitee,but I'm pretty sure the only requirement to register is to be over 18.

Seagurl51
January 3rd, 2007, 01:49 AM
I'm guessing USMS wouldn't have a problem with you being a member, but you might want to check with your college. They may not want you competing other places.

Rob Copeland
January 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Morgan,

Yes you are allowed to register and train with USMS and a member club without adversely affecting your NCAA or USA Swimming eligibility.

I know you are also allowed to compete in Masters meets with a Masters club, without adversely affecting your USA Swimming eligibility. And I have been told the same holds true for NCAA eligibility. However to be safe, I’d suggest you talk to your schools NCAA compliance officer to confirm this.

As for USA Swimming and NCAA – "A swimmer registered with a USA Swimming non-school club who wishes to compete for a college shall be automatically released without notice by his/her club upon commencement of his/her season to compete for that school in school competition, and upon termination of such school swimming season he/she shall be immediately eligible to represent the USA Swimming non-school club of his/her choice (subject to the 120-day rule in 203.3.). It is the swimmer’s responsibility to ascertain his/her compliance with scholastic governing bodies’ rules and regulations."