PDA

View Full Version : I don't like swim practice

Warren
January 3rd, 2007, 06:05 PM
I'm going to find a way to spend less time in the pool and still improve. Running and ridding a stationary bike maybe. I'v just started back up again after a 3 week break and I wasn't working very hard before that break. Now Im trying to work hard to improve and its boring and not fun.

scyfreestyler
January 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Hmm. I don't swim a lot of yardage or days as of late but I can understand your POV. I have found it best to find a goal to work towards and keep that in mind. Not a general goal like being faster, but maybe shaving a half second off of your 50's.

Having said that, some cross training would probably not hurt you either.

islandsox
January 3rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Warren,

When you figure that out, could you please put it in a bottle and sell it? I'd purchase at least a pound before the price went up.

;) Donna

USMSarah
January 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Do as much quality work as you can!

KaizenSwimmer
January 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Stationary bike. Now that's my idea of boring.
Want swimming to be engaging? Set a goal of swimming better than you ever have in your life, every time you enter the pool. Then act on it.

dorothyrde
January 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
When I feel like this about any exercise form, I give it a week or two break. I usually feel better about it. It does not hurt to change your fitness routine around to keep yourself entertained and enjoying it. That is why I have been working out for over 30 years, I do different things all the time.

Muppet
January 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
Boredom prevention is why I have gravitated toward a few other non-swimming related sports activities throughout the year.

Hockey starts Sunday!!

~Wren~
January 4th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Boredom prevention is why I have gravitated toward a few other non-swimming related sports activities throughout the year.

Hockey starts Sunday!!

Do you play or watch? It's the only big team sport I understand - one of the results of spending lots and lots of time in ice rinks. Sean Hill's (NY Islanders) mom was a coach at our skate club.

FlyQueen
January 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I LOVE hockey! Never played, but I think I would love that too. I used to be obsessed ... Great sport!

scyfreestyler
January 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
My biggest issue with hockey is the brutality of the sport. Is it really neccesary to slam your opponent into the wall and punch him in the face? I mean come on, did this guy commit adultery with your wife or what! There have been several times while watching a game where somebody gets cheapshotted like nobodies business; out of the blue with no warning. I can't help but think if I were in that poor guys shoes I would put my stick to the offenders trachea...just for good measure. Take it up a notch, ya know?

Never been to a live game but several friends have tempted me in the past to go up to San Jose to see a game. Perhaps one of these days I just might join them.

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Hockey is a great game. I love to watch. When i was a kid, hte Blackhawks oplayed on Saturday afternoon. It was televised htrough one of the TV stations from the Quad Cities (I think NBC). My fahter & I would watch the games every Saturday. There are three lakes in my home town. During the winter we would play hockey. It was always so much fun.

Also I can't believe people dislike practice. I love getting into the pool and doing some set woorying about not being able to keep the rate I am supposed to keep. Counting strokes, watching my hand travel through the water, flipping and seeing the bubbles I had made before I turned. Then coming up for my first breath and seeing people wh are there for their kids' lessons watching me.

When I was in high school, the men's coach told me to think of myself as a Roman warship gliding through the water on my way to battle. I have used that so many times when I'm doing long repeats.

FlyQueen
January 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Craig I agree ... I love practice. I love racing in meets more, but I love going to practice. Not that I love every set or don't have days when I'm not excited to jump in or I have a bad workout but I love the feeling during the workout and after.

It helps that I swim with a fantastic group of people!

Muppet
January 5th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Do you play or watch? It's the only big team sport I understand - one of the results of spending lots and lots of time in ice rinks. Sean Hill's (NY Islanders) mom was a coach at our skate club.

I LOVE hockey! Never played, but I think I would love that too. I used to be obsessed ... Great sport!

Both, well will be both starting sunday. To address the "play" part, I always kinda wanted to play, so i signed up for an adult learn how to play hockey class/league thing. We spend 8 weeks learning how to skate forward, backward, stop, start, crossovers, etc.; then the hockey skills - shoot, pass, etc. Then 8 weeks of games against teams that have been learning the same stuff the previous 8 weeks.

Heather, I'd offer to see if you wanted to go to the Hawks/Blue Jackets game when I'm in Chicago in a couple weeks, but I think I need to swim instead...

Zirconium
January 5th, 2007, 02:02 AM
How about winter sports? I love snowboarding. Too bad the winter is warm this year in the Toronto area.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 5th, 2007, 07:49 AM
I like some aspects of swim practice and not others. I'm terrible with IM sets, for instance... also kicking (but at least unlike when I first started, I'm moving forward while kicking and not feeling as if I'm in a holding pattern) so those are very frustrating. But I figure they make the rest of the practice feel soooo good (sort of like what happens when you stop beating yourself over the head, maybe...). ;)

And since I run as well as swim, the combination of the two keeps things fun.

FlyQueen
January 5th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Both, well will be both starting sunday. To address the "play" part, I always kinda wanted to play, so i signed up for an adult learn how to play hockey class/league thing. We spend 8 weeks learning how to skate forward, backward, stop, start, crossovers, etc.; then the hockey skills - shoot, pass, etc. Then 8 weeks of games against teams that have been learning the same stuff the previous 8 weeks.

Heather, I'd offer to see if you wanted to go to the Hawks/Blue Jackets game when I'm in Chicago in a couple weeks, but I think I need to swim instead...

Yeah, swimming pretty much wins out over most other extracurricular activities for me, too ... it caused some strain in a few friendships for awhile. You should try and swim with my team.

Muppet
January 5th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Yeah, swimming pretty much wins out over most other extracurricular activities for me, too ... it caused some strain in a few friendships for awhile. You should try and swim with my team.

I need a ride to your place! otherwise i may take a ride on the EL to UIC and swim with the blue dolphins...

FlyQueen
January 5th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Hmmm ... UIC is a much, much, much nicer pool that the one I swim in. Ours is nice, but it's shallow. UIC has a strange configuration and sometimes in the early am you see cat sized rats running around but it's nice. We have our state meet there every year.

That being said, my team is riddiculously fun, loud, and crazy. Well, the night crew is the early am swimmers are a bit less crazy.

thewookiee
January 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I need a ride to your place! otherwise i may take a ride on the EL to UIC and swim with the blue dolphins...

Jeff
Depending on where you stay, the Blue Dolphins have practices in the AM at a place called Moody Bible. There head coach is a friend of mine and he always provides good practices. Sometimes they are a phyiscal challenge and sometimes they are a mental challenge. When he is in a great mood, they are both...lol
When will you be in Chicago? I will be there the week of Jan. 16-19. I plan on swimming with him while I am in town.
Heather-where do you swim? Is it near Chicago?

thewookiee
January 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM

I have seen the Caps play a few times. Love going to see a live game...not soo much for hockey on tv.
Where do the Blackhawks play? The United Center?

FlyQueen
January 5th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Yes they do. There's a game against the Bluejackets while you are in town ... I PM'd you.

m2tall2
January 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM
I have decided that now that I am a masters swimmer and am allowed to be coachless I will - and that keeps every single practice loveable and interesting. I've decided with Masters I am liking the freedom of practicing the things I want or feel I need to practice on - not what the group is practicing. So, since I am coachless, I create a workout based on my mood and how I am feeling for the day. Today I will work on my fly, with a little IM mixed in because I am up for the challenge of something tough and working on my weakest stroke. I may not end up breaking any records with this method but I have a long enough swim background that I can create challenging and interesting sets and become a pretty decent masters swimmer.

But if you don't love practice, you need to change it up - either in the pool or out of the pool.