PDA

View Full Version : How old am I?

blainesapprentice
January 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Hey everyone, once again I have a question.

In masters swimming is your age, just the age you are during a meet? I am 20 at the moment, but will be 21 on March 4. Not that it really makes much of a difference (as I will be in the same age group), but I am attending a meet on March 3-4th.

ljlete
January 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
It depends upon which type of pool you are swimming in. If the meet is being swum in a 25 or 50 meter pool, then your age is as of December 31 of the year the meet is held. If you are swimming in a 25 yard pool, then your age is as of the last day of the meet. So if you birthday is on the last day and you would move up, you swim in the new age group for the entire meet.

Leo

dorothyrde
January 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Last day?, not first day like USA?

geochuck
January 3rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
As to how old am I - I'll never tell.

ljlete
January 3rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
The logic behind the last/first day is to give the advantage to the swimmer. So for USA Swimming, the advantage is assumed to go to the older swimmer in the age group. For USMS, the advantage is assumed to go to the younger swimmer in the age group.

Leo

dorothyrde
January 3rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Ok, got it. I am in the process of setting up an age group meet with almost 500 swimmers, yikes, so have USA rules on the brain. If I am sane on January 22, I will be lucky.

Muppet
January 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Since you're a 21 year old for the meet, try using he USMS age logic to get the host team to serve you a celebratory libation saturday afternoon!
:drink:

SwimStud
January 3rd, 2007, 11:40 PM
Imagine your the captain of a sailboat, the boat leaves harbour and sails south for 2 miles, west for 1 mile, north for 1 mile, east for 1 mile and north for 1 mile, thus returning to port. How old is the captain?

~Wren~
January 4th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Imagine your the captain of a sailboat, the boat leaves harbour and sails south for 2 miles, west for 1 mile, north for 1 mile, east for 1 mile and north for 1 mile, thus returning to port. How old is the captain?

Too old to be sailing the boat?

waves101
January 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Either 6, 9, 69 or 96. The formation made by the trip is "d". Thus, it could be viewed as a backward 6, an upside down 9 or the combination of both. Seeing how the captain made it back to port and had precise mileage increments I'd guess it's not the 6, 9 or 96.

nkfrench
January 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Same age as me, since I am the captain

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Same age as me, since I am the captain

Well done...
:applaud:

aztimm
January 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Every meet that I've done had something on the entry form like, "Your age as of XXX will be the age used for this meet." It has been a while since I've done a meet, but I remember there were different rules for this for SCY, SCM, LCM, as well as nationals, etc. I assumed that the meet director had already done the research and logic before making the statement about age.

bud
January 4th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Right. The meet entry form will typically give you the cutoff date for your age. If you want to know all the nitty-gritty of it, try looking it up in the USMS rulebook.

http://www.usms.org/rules/

FindingMyInnerFish
January 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
The LCM rule was in effect in my first swim meet, and it turned out to help me. I would have been in the 50-54 age group but was "promoted" to 55-59, and since I was the only woman in that age group, won first place in my event. I would have had competition in the 50-54 group. Age is a beautiful thing! :D

But I never captained a ship at any age. ;)